Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive > July (2016) New Releases

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4168 comments Mod
So what books are we excited about this month?

Most Popular Books Published In July 2016
Top 199 books published in July 2016 that people have added on Goodreads.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/popula...

message 2: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4168 comments Mod
The most obvious one for me is Harry Potter! Despite the fact that it's now been pushed back to the last day of the month ... booooo!

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 6125 comments Mod
I preordered that one, Lynn. It fit for my challenge for YLTO, but the new release date removed it from my list. Booo to that too!

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I also have Truly Madly Guilty, A Curious Beginning, and Saga, Volume 6 on my TBR. I haven't had a chance to really go through the rest, but I'm sure there will be more that I want to read.

message 5: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 25 comments Ones that jumped out at me:

The Wicked Boy The Mystery of a Victorian Child Murderer by Kate Summerscale Underground Airlines by Ben H. Winters The Book of Spice From Anise to Zedoary by John O'Connell A Most Curious Murder A Little Library Mystery by Elizabeth Kane Buzzelli Smoke by Dan Vyleta

message 6: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4168 comments Mod
Kristie wrote: "I preordered that one, Lynn. It fit for my challenge for YLTO, but the new release date removed it from my list. Booo to that too!"

I had it penned for one of my challenges too, until I saw the new date. Boooooo again! :)

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Jun 30, 2016 05:49PM) (new)

I had a minute to look at the list and I'm also interested in The Woman in Cabin 10 (which I thought was on my TBR) and maybe The Lost Girls.

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments Dark Matter by Blake Crouch is on my radar for July.

message 9: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I can't believe it's July already !!! Didn't the year just start like yesterday?

I pre-ordered HP (obviously) though I'm weary of it. My HP world is very different from the one JKR created by now and I might not even be able to read it due to that (I can't really read the original books anymore either).

Also Saga of course which I can't wait to receive ...

Dark Matter sounds suspiciously similar to Pines, but I loved that one .. so I'll likely read it sooner or later. (probably going to wait for more reviews to pour in)
Here Comes the Sun sounds intriguing as well as The Unseen World

message 10: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 885 comments I want to read
The Last One The Last One by Alexandra Oliva
Dark Matter Dark Matter by Blake Crouch
Intrusion Intrusion by Mary McCluskey
But most of all Reckless Creed Reckless Creed (Ryder Creed, #3) by Alex Kava which is the third part in a series by Alex Kava, one of my fav authors.

message 11: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Savanes | 2052 comments Mod
I'm unsure about the Harry Potter because it's a play and I typically love to watch plays but not read them.

Other than that, I'm looking forward to Saga #6 & Truly Madly Guilty. I was interested in the new Michelle Moran's book Mata Hari's Last Dance Mata Hari's Last Dance by Michelle Moran but after reading some of the reviews, I'm not so sure anymore.

Finally, I set my eyes on And I Darken And I Darken (The Conquerors Saga #1) by Kiersten White . The anti-princess thing would be quite new to me. :)

message 12: by Paula (new)

Paula S (paula_s) | 36 comments Saga, Volume 6 of course, and Underground Airlines. I'm a bit afraid that I will be disappointed in the new HP, so that one's a maybe.

message 13: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4168 comments Mod
So I've finished Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

I went in a bit wary, not sure what to expect and trying not to get too excited but also trying to be realistic that this was a play, not a book.

I think the latter helped a lot with my enjoyment. I've seen a few reviews so far complaining that that characters / story felt flat. But isn't it the point that this isn't a book, so we would never get in depth character feelings and situations because those things come to life when the play is performed.

For me there was enough action and humour and heartfelt moments in the play's dialogue for me to imagine what the charcters were feeling and what the world looked like because I've seen and read enough Harry Potter to know this world and (most) characters. I was transported back to one of my favourite places again and I loved it.

I do have one quibble but it didn't stop my enjoyment and drop my rating because it's associated with JK Rowling and her views in the real world rather than the HP world. (view spoiler)

My final thought, I <3 Scorpius so much!