Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Erikson and Esslemont - Malazan > Proposed Schedule for Malazan

Comments Showing 1-50 of 105 (105 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
So the plan is to begin House of Chains (MBotF #4) on July 6 and take it a book a month from there (subject to change). Eric, let me know if you are good to start on July 6, and of course, anyone else who wants to join is more than welcome.

message 2: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
In and looking forward to it.

message 3: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

I am pretty sure all of us want to do as many of the Malazan books in the ultimate reading order so we can change around the schedule accordingly for shorter books.

message 4: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3585 comments Mod
I haven't read any Malazan. Am I the only one? I'm keen to give book #1 a go later in the year if anyone else hasn't started them. Maybe say end of September.

Again another series that has been on my TBR for ages.

message 5: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Angela wrote: "I haven't read any Malazan. Am I the only one? I'm keen to give book #1 a go later in the year if anyone else hasn't started them. Maybe say end of September.

Again another series that has been on..."

I would definitely recommend Malazan and I would also recommend reading it with someone. It is pretty hard to get into the style of Erikson's writing for the first time, but it is fun at the same time and so worth it.

message 6: by Lundos (new)

Lundos | 392 comments @Angela: 'Serious' fantasy genre fans have to try on Erikson at some point, I think. It is difficult to get into, but its definitely worth the effort. There are lots of websites to help you now. I read it in 1999. Back then it was really different from everything else.

message 7: by Emma (new)

Emma | 12 comments I've read The first one but doubt I can catch up with the series in time to join this buddy read!

message 8: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Emma wrote: "I've read The first one but doubt I can catch up with the series in time to join this buddy read!"

I think there might be some interest to start from the beginning so you might be able to jump in with the second one when others get to it.

message 9: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Jay had stated interest in starting from book one. Given it's complexity we would all contribute to help out. We only plan on doing a book per month with the series so if you did a little more than that you would catch up. Given their length and complexity I can't see anybody doing more than two per month but still.

message 10: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Cool thanks for the advice. I'll make a point to start the first one and then can buddy read with anyone from that point.:-)

message 11: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Hard to believe Midnight Tides is "short" and everything left after that is longer than MOI.

# Title 1st Publication Approximate Word Count[7] Pages
1 Gardens of the Moon 1 April 1999 209,000 666
2 Deadhouse Gates 1 September 2000 272,000 604
3 Memories of Ice 6 December 2001 358,000 920
4 House of Chains 2 December 2002 306,000 1021
5 Midnight Tides 1 March 2004 270,000 950
6 The Bonehunters 1 March 2006 365,000 1231
7 Reaper's Gale 7 May 2007 386,000 1280
8 Toll the Hounds 30 June 2008 392,000 832
9 Dust of Dreams 18 August 2009 382,000 816
10 The Crippled God 15 February 2011 385,000 921
Approximate Total: 3,325,000 8889

message 12: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Jenna since it appears to be just you and I for the duration this is our current schedule and with Emberlain not coming out I was thinking about maybe more things forward. If you have no interest no worries it's just a thought.

NOK start 9/6 no change
Bonehunters 10/6 move to 9/22

Then every book that was after this move up one month into the 6th of the month slot. Reaper's gale 11/6 to 10/6 etc.

message 13: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Scott wrote: "Jenna since it appears to be just you and I for the duration this is our current schedule and with Emberlain not coming out I was thinking about maybe more things forward. If you have no interest n..."

Yeah, I would be good with that.

message 14: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Sweet I'll switch the schedule around on the bookshelf.

message 15: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Scott wrote: "Sweet I'll switch the schedule around on the bookshelf."

Thanks - I was going to do it, but I had a feeling I would get something wrong.

message 16: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

No worries I have it written down.

message 17: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1767 comments I've been thinking about jumping on board once y'all catch up to where I'm at. Not looking to reread any of it at this point.

I guess that will depend on how well my college classes go. If I get a handle on my workload and can squeeze in Malazan, I'll let y'all know.

Haha. "Squeeze in" Malazan.

Oh, and my next ones to read would be Reaper's Gale and The Return of the Crimson Guard.

message 18: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Chris wrote: "Oh, and my next ones to read would be Reaper's Gale and The Return of the Crimson Guard."

Sweet that will put you in potentially for October.

message 19: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Oct 30, 2016 08:09PM) (new)

Scott and Jenna, looking at the ultimate reading order there are 3 novellas in between DHG and MOI. Did you just fit them in between the two books? Is it really crucial to read them to understand what is happening in later books?

message 20: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Angela wrote: "Scott and Jenna, looking at the ultimate reading order there are 3 novellas in between DHG and MOI. Did you just fit them in between the two books? Is it really crucial to read them to understand w..."

The novellas are not crucial, but they are pretty fun. The characters do come up in the main series, but you don't need the novellas to understand what is going on. We just fit them in - they are all pretty short.

message 21: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I was pretty happy I knew who Bauchelain and Korbal Broach were when it came time for MOI. Are they essential, no, but it does add to the experience.

The books themselves are like Kruppe meets Benny Hill meets a horror spoof.

message 22: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Thanks Jenna and Scott.

message 23: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Anyone else want to read the three shorts between DH and MOI in March?

message 24: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

I meant Deadhouse Gates. Still getting use to the book abbreviations.

message 25: by Samir (new)

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Angela wrote: "Anyone else want to read the three shorts between DH and MOI in March?"

I'm up for it if life doesn't get in the way.

message 26: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Cool Samir. I'll check with you at the start of March :)

message 27: by Seán (new)

Seán | 602 comments I noticed on the schedule that the group is reading Orb, Sceptre, Throne before The Crippled God.

I just want to throw it out there that I read TCG straight after Dust of Dreams and felt that this was the better way to do things. I haven't actually read OST yet, but from what I understand of the plot it's much more of an aside to the main events. After finishing DoD I was foaming at the mouth to continue into TCG, with OST serving as a nice return to the world when I'm in the mood.

Again, just a suggestion! The final two books are absolutely amazing, and although it's a bit of a slog, it's been my favourite reading experience in the past few years.

message 28: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Thanks Sean. I think I can speak for Jenna since we've talked about it numerous times but our motto is in the recommended reading order we trust. There have been so many times where a character in Empire does something that makes so much more sense back in BotF. An easy example is Edgewalker. I would have had no clue who he was but he was introduced in Night of Knives. Then in the Bonehunters there's a scene in the prologue where a lot of people think an ominous figure is Rake or another warrior like Baudin but to me it was clearly Edgewalker. There's dozens of moments like that.

You should read OST with us!

message 29: by Seán (new)

Seán | 602 comments Yeah, I know there's a ton of reading orders. I think I settled on the order for the Tor re-read (which I think is just publication order). For OST, either reading it before or after the final two books is do-able - reading it between them just seems to add a break where you really don't want one! But I totally respect the order you're reading in :)

I'll definitely hop in on OST when you guys are reading it though. It's been nearly a year since I finished the series, so I'm itching to get back into the world!

message 30: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Cool it will be good to have more people in for OST. A few others have said they'll join.

Funny a lot of people consider Dust of Dreams one of the weaker books. I finished off the first three chapters this morning and I have to say through three chapters its one of my favorites. In a possible OST foreboding.

(view spoiler)

message 31: by Seán (last edited Feb 11, 2017 02:14AM) (new)

Seán | 602 comments Nothing specific spoiled in here, just a comment on the start of DoD and on the setting and rough content of OST:

(view spoiler)

As well as OST, I have Blood and Bone and Assail sitting on my shelf. Add n the new Kharkanas books and Dancer's Lament, and there'll be plenty of Malazan going forward :)

message 32: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

We're doing a book a month until the end including all the books you mentioned. I'm sure I will want to go straight into TCG but won't. Deadhouse Landing comes out early fall and we'll be able to go straight into that in Oct.

message 33: by Seán (new)

Seán | 602 comments Excellent - I've heard Dancer's Lament is Esslemont's best yet, so I'll be looking forward to that down the line.

message 34: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Sean wrote: "Excellent - I've heard Dancer's Lament is Esslemont's best yet, so I'll be looking forward to that down the line."

Same here. So roughly

Orb Sceptre Throne 3/6
The Crippled God 4/6
Blood and Bone 5/6
Assail 6/6
Forge of Darkness 7/6
Fall of Light 8/6
Dancer's Lament 9/6
Deadhouse Landing 10/6

We play with the dates slight depending on what everybody has going on. So DoD started 2/10 for instance.

message 35: by Mayank GO (new)

Mayank GO (nimander) | 113 comments is it expected to finish all the Esslemont's books before starting Dancer's Lament? I have only read 3 of them.

message 36: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Mayank wrote: "is it expected to finish all the Esslemont's books before starting Dancer's Lament? I have only read 3 of them."

You'll have some extra info about a few characters in the final three books but nothing earth shattering or plot blowing.

message 37: by Mayank GO (new)

Mayank GO (nimander) | 113 comments cool.. thanks.

message 38: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Mar 20, 2018 08:34PM) (new)

Schedule for Angela and Miche (plus anyone else who has already read the main series and might want to give the ICE books a go). We're on a mission to finish the main series in 2018.

Night of Knives - December 1st
The Bonehunters - December 15 (BotF)
Reaper's Gale - January
Crack'd Pot Trail - February 20th
Return of the Crimson Guard - March 1st
Toll the Hounds - April 7th
Stonewielder - July -1st
Goats of Glory - July
Dust of Dreams - August (BotF) - 7th
Orb Sceptre Throne - September 7th
The Crippled God - October (BotF) - 7th

message 39: by Sha (new)

Sha | 1522 comments So.

I haven't read a single word of this series but I want to. Where do I sign up and More importantly what exactly am I signing up for?

message 40: by Hailee (last edited Dec 17, 2017 11:15AM) (new)

Hailee | 2606 comments Yey another person for the buddy read maybe... if the schedule doesn't scare you away lol.

Here the post about the proposed schedule for 2018:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 41: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 2606 comments This is the thread for the first book: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

This was where I expressed my interest in taking part :-)

message 42: by Sha (new)

Sha | 1522 comments Thanks. :)

message 43: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Jun 05, 2018 11:18PM) (new)

Miche and my revised schedule as we've managed to be a month ahead. Go us!!!!

Toll the Hounds (BotF) - April 7th
Stonewielder (ME #3)- May -7th
Dust of Dreams - July (BotF) - 7th
Orb Sceptre Throne (ME #4)- August 7th
The Crippled God - September (BotF) - 7th

Malazan Book of the Fallen is finished!!!!!

What's next?

Blood and Bone (ME #5)
Assail (ME #6)

Malazan Empire series finished!!!!!

Forge of Darkness (KT #1)
Fall of Light (KT #2)

message 44: by Miche (new)

Miche | 3145 comments Angela wrote: "Miche and my revised schedule as we've managed to be a month ahead. Go us!!!!

Toll the Hounds (BotF) - April 7th
Stonewielder (ME #3)- May -7th
Goats of Glory - May
Dust of Dreams (ME #4)- July (B..."

We are rocking the Malazan world! yay us! :D

message 45: by Miche (new)

Miche | 3145 comments Angela, am I blind or we don't have a thread set up for Goats of Glory?

message 46: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

No I didn't set a thread up as it's so short? Shall we just discuss it in Stonewielder thread?

message 47: by Miche (new)

Miche | 3145 comments That works for me. :)

message 48: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited May 01, 2018 11:03PM) (new)

I'm having trouble finding Goats of Glory Miche. Scott, did you find this short story in an anthology?

message 49: by Andorion (new)

Andorion (ruineleint) I believe it was published in Swords & Dark Magic: The New Sword and Sorcery edited by Jonathan Strahan and Lew Anders.

« previous 1 3