Archive - Award Winners > Confess - July 2016

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4165 comments Mod
Winner of Romance Category

Confess by Colleen Hoover

Confess

Auburn Reed has her entire life mapped out. Her goals are in sight and there’s no room for mistakes. But when she walks into a Dallas art studio in search of a job, she doesn’t expect to find a deep attraction to the enigmatic artist who works there, Owen Gentry.

For once, Auburn takes a risk and puts her heart in control, only to discover Owen is keeping major secrets from coming out. The magnitude of his past threatens to destroy everything important to Auburn, and the only way to get her life back on track is to cut Owen out of it.

The last thing Owen wants is to lose Auburn, but he can’t seem to convince her that truth is sometimes as subjective as art. All he would have to do to save their relationship is confess. But in this case, the confession could be much more destructive than the actual sin…

message 2: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - added it

Savanes | 2051 comments Mod
I'm hesitating about this one. First of all, I'm generally not into romance and this one looks like a book for teenager. Anyone read it? Is that the case?

message 3: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4165 comments Mod
I've read it and loved it, but I'm a romance lover.

I personally would not recommend it if you're not into romance, because this is a full on romance story.

message 4: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - added it

Savanes | 2051 comments Mod
Oh yeah I can see that, 5 stars, wow. Maybe I'll give it try anyways. Most of the time characters get on my nerves (too cheesy, too unbelievable) but sometimes it's real guilty pleasure! hehe!

message 5: by Bert (new)

Bert Berry (berryb) | 72 comments I LOVE Romance! (And this one sounds good to me!

BUT my HD10 Kindle is already 'Brim Full!'

(Sigh!)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I just finished it and I liked it. The characters were nice, but the attraction between them felt a bit over the top (I just don't care much for instantaneous love which is simply nothing romantic to me). I also found the wrapping up of everything in the final few pages too convenient and the bad guys a bit too easy. Plus, there was a very strong conservative moral vibe that I was getting from the book which I disliked.
However, is well written and super easy to read and doesn't get lost in pages upon pages of glistening muscles or round perky breasts etc.

message 7: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4165 comments Mod
Janina wrote: "Plus, there was a very strong conservative moral vibe that I was getting from the book which I disliked.."

Can you do a spoiler and explain a little further Janina? It's been a while since I read this and I'm struggling to understand what you're talking about.

Janina wrote: "However, is well written and super easy to read and doesn't get lost in pages upon pages of glistening muscles or round perky breasts etc. ."

Ha ha ha ha, maybe that's why I like this so much :)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments Let me see if I can remember how this spoiler thing works:

(view spoiler)

message 9: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 278 comments Janina wrote: "Let me see if I can remember how this spoiler thing works:

I read it, starting and finishing in a single day so I can confirm it is a quick read.

There was a twist, or maybe a few, that I did not expect. You knew one was coming, but I didn't guess it. That was nice.

I also agree with Janina's comment, "However, is well written and super easy to read and doesn't get lost in pages upon pages of glistening muscles or round perky breasts etc"

Summer (paradisecity) | 29 comments I thought this book was terrible, particularly for a YA audience.

First of all, the first 25% of the book consisted solely of their first meeting, in excruciating detail. That was unnecessary and really slowed down the story. It was also quite odd that the author didn't in any way acknowledge Post Secret, which was obviously the basis for the art concept.

And then their personalities, sweet bippity. (view spoiler)

I agree with the poster who said there was a strong conservative vibe to this book. Overall, this book read like it was written by a young teenager: lots of black and white, so much idealization, and completely ridiculous bits ("I watch as she writes down the name of each confession on a piece of paper and correlates it with its number. She acts like she's done this a million times. I think she might be one of these people whoa re good at everything they do. She has a talent for life." She has a talent for life because she can write things down? Are you kidding me?).

I'll definitely be giving this author a hard pass in the future, and she's added to my list of litmus test authors (i.e., if you like this particular author and you're a friend/peer/student, I'll keep my eye out for things we might need to talk about.)

Valerie (darthval) | 411 comments I have had this on hold forever. Someday it might come in.

Valerie (darthval) | 411 comments Finally got this one and Summer I SO agree with you.

This felt like a story of broken boy has semi-stalker crush on broken girl. They meet and share NOTHING about themselves, in fact they actively lie and conceal their true selves, and yet it is twu wuv.

Their dysfunction however, is par for the course, because ALL of the book's relationships are dysfunctional tropes:
- Father who is professionally functional despite huge issues that include distance from his only living son? Check.
- Sainted, but dead ex boyfriend who will live on in idealistic devotion? Check.
- Evil mom on sainted dead boyfriend? Check.
- Even more evil and abusive brother of dead boyfriend? Check.
- Aloof parents who don't appear to support their daughter at all? Check.
- Weird room mate? Check.

Neither Auburn, nor Own seem to have any backbone and continually engage in behaviors throughout the book at I think are supposed to appear heroic, but really they just make bad situations worse.

Bleh.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Confess (other topics)