Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Bleak House
This topic is about Bleak House
Charles Dickens Collection > Bleak House: NonSpoiler Thread

Comments Showing 1-50 of 132 (132 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katy (kathy_h) | 9690 comments Mod
This is the non spoiler thread for the 3rd Quarter 2016 Long Read.

Bleak House by Charles Dickens

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Jun 30, 2016 02:42PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Like most Dickens novels, Bleak House was published in 20 monthly instalments, each containing 32 pages of text and two illustrations by Phiz (the last two being published together as a double issue). Each cost one shilling, except for the final double issue, which cost two shillings.

Installment: (Date of publication), Chapters
I: (March 1852), 1–4
II: (April 1852), 5–7
III: (May 1852), 8–10
IV: (June 1852), 11–13
V: (July 1852), 14–16
VI: (August 1852), 17–19
VII: (September 1852), 20–22
VIII: (October 1852), 23–25
IX: (November 1852), 26–29
X: (December 1852), 30–32
XI: (January 1853), 33–35
XII: (February 1853), 36–38
XIII: (March 1853), 39–42
XIV: (April 1853), 43–46
XV: (May 1853), 47–49
XVI: (June 1853), 50–53
XVII: (July 1853), 54–56
XVIII: (August 1853), 57–59
XIX–XX: (September 1853), 60–67

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleak_H...

Sarah Wow, that is so cool to know! Thanks :)

message 4: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Jun 30, 2016 02:48PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bleak House: Free Online Sources
I'm sure there are many more

Gutenberg

Full Books

ebooks

Kindle US

message 5: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

We had 56 votes for Bleak House for this quarter's read. Who is reading with us?

Susan O (sozmore) I'm with you. Hope to start in a couple of days.

message 7: by Val (new) - rated it 4 stars

Val | 20 comments Me too! I'm looking forward to reading along with you. My Dickens reads are somewhat limited, and I don't know the first thing about this particular story. It should make for a fun adventure.

Sarah I am. I'm planning on reading it early in this month but I'll try to follow the discussion during the whole quarter.

Warner West | 45 comments I plan to start as soon as I finish Jane Eyre. I'm not a big fan of Dickens, but this should be a fun read and will give me a chance to use my Dickens encyclopedia.

message 10: by Dianne (new) - added it

Dianne I'm in! Any chance we can get a rough reading schedule since it's so huge?

message 11: by Matt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt (mmullerm) | 830 comments I'm in too. Also reading Jane Eyre with the group.

Laurie | 1676 comments I'm in, but I am determined to finish Moby Dick first and I am only halfway through it. But I hope to start Bleak House by the middle of July. I enjoy Dickens typically so I look forward to this one. And I too have have no prior knowledge of the storyline.

message 13: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dianne wrote: "I'm in! Any chance we can get a rough reading schedule since it's so huge?"

Well we can use the installment schedule with a few tweaks:
(Approximately 2 installments a week, or 22 chapters a month)

July:
I: (March 1852), 1–4
II: (April 1852), 5–7
III: (May 1852), 8–10
IV: (June 1852), 11–13
V: (July 1852), 14–16
VI: (August 1852), 17–19
VII: (September 1852), 20–22

August
VIII: (October 1852), 23–25
IX: (November 1852), 26–29
X: (December 1852), 30–32
XI: (January 1853), 33–35
XII: (February 1853), 36–38
XIII: (March 1853), 39–42
XIV: (April 1853), 43–46

September
XV: (May 1853), 47–49
XVI: (June 1853), 50–53
XVII: (July 1853), 54–56
XVIII: (August 1853), 57–59
XIX–XX: (September 1853), 60–67

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments I'm in and happy about it!!! ;-)

message 15: by Dianne (new) - added it

Dianne Kathy wrote: "Dianne wrote: "I'm in! Any chance we can get a rough reading schedule since it's so huge?"

(Approximately 2 installments a week, or 22 c..."

This is great, thanks Kathy!

message 16: by Sara (taking a break), Old School Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara (taking a break) (phantomswife) | 5870 comments Mod
I will be a little late starting, but I will join in and catch up first chance I get. Definitely reading this!

❆ Crystal ❆ (crystal_wright) | 35 comments I'm in for sure! I need to finish The Woman in White and then I can begin. I have the audiobook and the ebook. I'm looking forward to it.

message 18: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Looks like we will have a nice group for the read. I've got to finish a book for my F2F group before I start this one, but hopefully I won't be too far behind all of you.

message 19: by Pink (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pink | 6554 comments Kathy wrote: "Dianne wrote: "I'm in! Any chance we can get a rough reading schedule since it's so huge?"

(Approximately 2 installments a week, or 22 c..."

This schedule looks great :)

Kathleen | 4084 comments Well I have this, but it's sitting underneath Jane Eyre, Uncle Tom's Cabin and the Golden Notebook, next to a few others I need to finish! I was going to start it late, but that installment schedule makes it oh so tempting ...

message 21: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

I am planning on reading it slow & watching the miniseries as I go along. Should be fun.

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments I have seen the BBC miniseries several times and think it is absolutely fabulous!!! It has made me want to read the book even more.

message 23: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bat-Cat wrote: "I have seen the BBC miniseries several times and think it is absolutely fabulous!!! It has made me want to read the book even more."

I haven't read the book or seen the series, so I am excited for my first time. I am hoping that viewing & reading will make it seem less intimidating to me.

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments Kathy, I don't see anything to be intimidated about except, perhaps, the length and that just means more pages to enjoy! I have started already (w/ the Serial Reader) and am on page 183 (18%) and it is so far very enjoyable. Dickens just has a most amazing way with words and his descriptions of not only the characters but everything are so over the top that you have to love them. Can you tell I'm a fan? ;-)

message 25: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bat-Cat wrote: "Kathy, I don't see anything to be intimidated about except, perhaps, the length ...Can you tell I'm a fan?..."

Yes -- & I hope to be also!

message 26: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori | 16 comments I'm joining in as well, looking forward to this book. I also know nothing about the story.

Nente | 780 comments Almost didn't notice July coming =)
But actually I always intended to join this read, and right now really need a good long book to alternate with Satanic Verses: I find I can't take them nonstop.

Hayley Shaver | 172 comments That's interesting.

❆ Crystal ❆ (crystal_wright) | 35 comments I didn't know about the BBC version. I will for sure check that out as I go along.

message 30: by Annina (new)

Annina | 121 comments I so want to read this. It has been my shelf forever, but I'm reading another Dickens right now.

Maybe I'll read it in the winter. I have this strange image in my head, that it would be great book for winter months, when there's snow on the ground and you are inside drinking tea and reading this thick book..

Nathan | 421 comments I'll be reading this, but I'm not planning to start until August.

message 32: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Eckert | 117 comments I'm in! The only book I might not get to is Animal Farm. I've always wanted to read Bleak House and now I have the best excuse to get to it!

message 33: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

My copy is Bleak House (Norton Critical Edition) by Charles Dickens -- ready to start. I'll be spacing this one over the entire 3 months for reading this time. Trying to give it a go closer to reading in installments.

message 34: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

I started over the weekend -- I am enjoying the read so far. Not quite finished with the first installment. I'll watch the first episode in the miniseries once I get through Chapter 10.

message 35: by Nente (last edited Jul 10, 2016 11:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nente | 780 comments Not apropos of this novel exactly, but something I often feel when reading the older English books.
How their life revolves around Duty, with a capital D! When today we declare as our aims in life: to enjoy ourselves; to fulfil ourselves by doing not only necessary but interesting work; to educate and develop ourselves - they have the predominating aim to do their duty.
I don't think they were wrong, either - this is just a measure of changing times.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Well-said Nente!

Paula W | 553 comments https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
My spoiler-free review, if anyone is still on the fence about reading this.

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments Paula, that was a superlative review!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you for expressing so beautifully and succinctly what Dickens is able to accomplish in not only this great book but in all the books I have read by him so far. He is truly a master and your extensive description of his vast, all-encompassing portrayal of humanity in all of its diverse aspects is, in my opinion, a perfect tribute to this wizard of prose.

Thanks again, Paula, for such a lovely, heart-felt review. ;-)

message 39: by Val (new) - rated it 4 stars

Val | 20 comments I devoured your review, Paula. I don't want spoilers since I'm still turning the pages on Bleak House, but I found it humorous that I may not be the only person who has put off the reading of this, pushing all five pounds of it

message 40: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Well put Paula -- I'm still reading also, so thanks for the non spoiler review.

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments Paula, I am still reading it too and plan to be for most likely the entire 3 months allotted. ;-)

message 42: by Matt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt (mmullerm) | 830 comments I'm also reading Bleak House slowly as I'm also reading Jane Eyre and Moby Dick. It will probably take me most of the quarter to get through it.

message 43: by Susanne (new)

Susanne | 3 comments Hi, I would like to join you please? I am ashamed to say that I have not read many Classics and this would be my first Dickens. I really don't know what to expect so will throw myself into it with an open mind. I have downloaded the free (yeah) book and am ready to go. Is there another thread where you discuss the chapters etc? I also like the sound of the miniseries. Can I find this on the catch up? Sorry, so many questions... typical newbie right?! :)

message 44: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susanne wrote: "Hi, I would like to join you please? I am ashamed to say that I have not read many Classics and this would be my first Dickens. I really don't know what to expect so will throw myself into it with ..."

Please do join us Susanne. We would love to have you read & discuss with us. We are taking it slow -- and keep asking questions.

Here are all three discussion threads to get you started: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

message 45: by Susanne (new)

Susanne | 3 comments Thank you Kathy. The link appears to be not working for me though I will try to locate manually.

message 46: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hmmmm
Are you using the app or on the desktop version of Goodreads?

message 47: by Susanne (new)

Susanne | 3 comments It's the app Kathy, maybe that is the issue. No worries though, I will find the threads. Thank you

Susan O (sozmore) I finally got started and am through chap 10 and really liking it so far.

message 49: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

It hasn't been anything like I expected -- I don't know why I thought it would be dry -- I agree, I am liking it too so far.

message 50: by Matt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt (mmullerm) | 830 comments I am continuing Bleak House the rest of this weekend (starting ch 11). I just finished Jane Eyre (July group read), so I now have more time to read Bleak House now!

« previous 1 3