50 books to read before you die discussion

Pride and Prejudice
This topic is about Pride and Prejudice
Book Discussions - 50 Books > Pride and Prejudice

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (last edited Jun 30, 2016 11:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christine July 2016 group read from the 50.

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Kenneth - PerfectionistWannabe.com (michellekenneth) | 10 comments I'm glad the group picked this. Still haven't read it yet. Will get cracking on it!

Jeffrey Lee | 1 comments How far is everyone? I'm about six chapters in ... really slow going for me at the moment.

Holly | 1 comments Jeffrey wrote: "How far is everyone? I'm about six chapters in ... really slow going for me at the moment."

Don't get discouraged Jeffrey. I read this last month with another group, and it was a slow starter. It took me awhile to catch the flow of Austens' writing style, but once I did, it took right off. Beautiful story.

Buck (spectru) It seems that everybody loves Jane Austen, and especially Pride and Prejudice. I'm the outlier. I didn't particularly care for it. It's not that I hated it; It just isn't the sort of book I enjoy reading. Pride and Prejudice is the only Jane Austen book I've read and I'm in no hurry to read more. I'm just not a Jane Austen fan.

Christopher Struck (struck_chris) | 37 comments I think what made this story so good, in my opinion, is how she captures the hum drum of the society life and represents these different characters in such eloquent flourishes. I mean who in their right mind would like Mr. Darcy outright especially when other characters are not so standoffish or rude?

Of course, we know that this becomes the trademark of a romance novel and that Mr. Darcy is our hero. Austen, I think, captures the attention of both her audience then and now by interjecting simple truths and profound observations about the behavior of both genders.

She is frank and harsh about the timid and foolish behavior of Elizabeth's sisters as well as the simpleton and false behavior of her suitors. Except for Mr. Darcy.

message 7: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy (audioaddict1234) Don't feel too bad, Buck. i often feel that way about classics. What stole my heart the last time I read this was not Darcy or Elizabeth but Mr. Bennett. His sarcasm is just right, and he's such a relief of a character compared to his dolt of a wife.

Unlike so many women, I did not fall in love with Darcy, nor do I consider him the perfect man. A perfect man wouldn't have been so rude to start with. I suppose I will forgive him though.

Kayleigh | 82 comments I love this book, I’ve read it a couple of times (I’ve also read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies) and then I delved into the rest of Austen’s works

I personally found it to be a really enjoyable easy read, it has that right amount of struggle and triumph that makes you think, but also gives you that nice warm tingly feeling inside, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

I also like the fact that the majority of the characters are women, and that there is such a range of different characters shown within that.

Lindsay I've read this probably three times before and I would have read I again, but July is ending too quickly. It's one of only three books I've ever enjoyed enough to read multiple times. The other two being The Giver and A Christmas Carol.

Dolores Gonzalez | 2 comments I must say that I was very excited to read this book in this group since I like the story since I saw the miniseries that was made a while back.
The book certainly described Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy in a more in-depth manner (stating the obvious) however, it was a struggle for me and it took a lot of time for me to read given the “strange” words.
Finally, I continued to like the story and will cross it of my to read list, but the book will not be one of my favorites because I didn’t like Jane Austen narrative technique, it was not my cup of tea.

message 11: by Tushal (new) - added it

Tushal Gupta | 1 comments I have tried to read this book 2 time but I was not able to read even half. It is out of my league

Siarhei Siniak (siarheisiniak) This book is very lovely. The narrative style is not that hard to read. The Hamlet, especially, helped me to get used to it. I think it is classics. And it is difficult for the story to unfold in real life. The mere chance that brings heros together makes us exclaim - is that possible!

Personally, I like such stories.

message 13: by Christine (last edited Nov 18, 2016 06:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christine In England, at the time that the novel was written, the number of people in the social class of the characters would have been small in comparison to the population as a whole. Therefore, the heros meeting each other would have been possible.

I'm glad you liked it, it's one of my favourite Austen stories.

Rajat Bansal | 1 comments I finished it day before yesterday after which I watched the BBC mini series and then the movie (2005), both had some interesting portrayal of the characters, personally i liked Keira Knightley's Elizabeth better.

Dameli | 1 comments Perfect romance I've ever read.

Siarhei Siniak (siarheisiniak) Dameli wrote: "Perfect romance I've ever read."

Yeahs, that's so indeed.

Sometimes, I hate reading so perfect fairy tales. They are not real.
What do you think about Thrilogy of Desires by Theodore Driezer?
I think that P&P and Jane Eyre are different styles of romans. But I am not experienced with the genre. Do you have some books in mind, that might give rather opposite view on this romance novels?

I'm reading Lolita by Nabokov now. And I won't it recommend to anyone with a love toward Pride and Prejudice. It looks like rather a good reading for psychoanalysts perhaps. It reminds me a story of Nikolai from Brothers Karamazov. Ah, I regret we can't remove things that happen in life. But we can change our own attitude towards it.