YA Backlist Bookclub discussion

We Were Liars
This topic is about We Were Liars
2016 Reads > July: We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Emma (booksand_stardust) | 82 comments Mod
Welcome to the discussion thread for this month's standalone!

As usual, no spoilers allowed in the comments, however I have to emphasise this more than ever for this novel; the whole premise is based off not knowing what is going on until the very end, that's what keeps the mystery, so please nobody ruin it for others :)

I already read this book last summer and it surprised me so much! Can't wait to see everybody else's thoughts!

Azrah (bookishaz) | 11 comments I read this book last year I think.. and yup I agree it's pretty surprising!

AmbWitch So... I failed to see that coming. I really enjoyed this book (hence the reason I've finished it already), although I did find the death metaphors melodramatic and annoying. Other than that it was a great read and definitely a page turner.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I guess, so far, I am in the minority here when I say that I was less than impressed with this one. I enjoy a good mystery and was happy to see this picked for our standalone so that I could finally find out all the secrets.

While I enjoyed that the story was sporadically riddled with poetic prose (some of the best parts of the story), and even though I had an inclining about half-way through that the twist was what it was, I can't help but be disappointed that this twist was nothing new. It's been done before and I think this is why there was so much secretiveness surrounding the book. If people had been spoiled on this over-done plot line, it would't have had the following it did or still does.

Everyone was unlikeable, which I can give credit to Lockhart, like many give credit to Gillian Flynn, for writing not one single likeable character yet people can't put the book down. So, bravo to Lockhart for that. That's no easy feat.

To end on a good note, I actually look forward to reading more of her work and I think if she continues the way she started, she will surely be an author to watch out for. I am dubbing her the Gillian Flynn of YA for sure.

Angela Maria Hart (angelamariahart) | 2 comments Have you read "We Were Liars" by E. Lockhart? You really should! I think the (cathartic) short stories included throughout the narrative were my favorite part. E. Lockhart has a beautiful writing style.

You can check out my BookTube video, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgG_U...