RMFAO (Reading My Frigging A** Off) discussion

RMFAO 2016 Genre Challenge > July: Dystopia + Graphic Novels

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Heena (new)

Heena Rathore Pardeshi (heenarathore) | 2220 comments Mod
Hello everyone,

I hope you had fun reading for June's challenge.
[If you're new, then please don't bother worrying about anything. You can join us for this month.] This month’s genres are Dystopia + Graphic Novels (for Graphic Novels any genre will do. Even lightly illustrated novels will do.)
You can either do any one of these genres or both of them. It's entirely up to you. If a book comes under the sub-genre of these genres, however remotely, then it can be included as well.
So, basically, there are absolutely no limitations. Read what you want to (in the broader sense of the genres.)

Here are the definitions for each genre:

Dystopia: Dystopia is a form of literature that explores social and political structures. It is a creation of a nightmare world - unlike its opposite, Utopia, which is an ideal world. Dystopia is often characterized by an authoritarian or totalitarian form of government. It often features different kinds of repressive social control systems, a lack or total absence of individual freedoms and expressions, and a state of constant warfare or violence. Many novels combine both Dystopia and Utopia, often as a metaphor for the different directions humanity can take in its choices, ending up with one of the two possible futures.

Graphic Novel:A graphic novel is a narrative work in which the story is conveyed to the reader using sequential art in either an experimental design or in a traditional comics format. The term is employed in a broad manner, encompassing non-fiction works and thematically linked short stories as well as fictional stories across a number of genres.

Here's a quick summary of the levels:

Level 1: Casual Reader: 1 book (easy)
Level 2: Frequent Reader: 2 books (moderate)
Level 3: Bookworm: 3 books (mildly strenuous)
Level 4: Bibliophile: 4 books (strenuous)
Level 5: Bookiopath: 5 books or more (challenging)

Please go ahead and announce your March to-read books along with the level you are targeting for.

All the very best and happy reading!

message 2: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments Apt genres for my tbr! June was a bit low...as it had non-fiction! But July is gonna be better I hope :D
My tbr for July in this genre:-
Miss Peregrine's home for peculiar children (Graphic)
The Long walk (Dystopian)
For now ;)

message 3: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) | 3521 comments Mod
Sundara wrote: "My tbr for July in this genre:-
Miss Peregrine's home for peculiar children (Graphic)
The Long walk (Dystopian)
For now ;) "

I like your list, Sundara!

message 4: by Dagny (new)

I have found several graphic novel possibilities. The one I'm most excited about is Misery City: Graphic Novel which has been described as: "And so from Greece comes a new genre: Surreal Noir. Raymond Chandler meets Terry Gilliam by way of Lewis Carroll."

I also plan on a four issue collection of Star Trek: Countdown and/or a illustrated novel The Strange Library

For Dystopia, not decided yet. I've been meaning to reread Anthem so this would be the perfect time for that.

message 5: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments Always something rare and great books ;) Good luck

message 6: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments I hope we can find some common book to read this month... I'd love to do a buddy read with you :D @Dagny

message 7: by Dagny (new)

Sundara wrote: "I hope we can find some common book to read this month... I'd love to do a buddy read with you :D @Dagny"

A buddy read with you would be fun, Sundara. I just checked my library and can get Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children if you interested in doing that one.

message 8: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments OMG! Seriously? I have just reached about 20%. So can you start?:D

message 9: by Dagny (new)

Following Sundara's suggestion, we're having a buddy read of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

A thread has been created in our Buddy Reads folder. Anyone interested in this illustrated book, please come on over and join us at https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 10: by Dagny (new)

Thanks for the suggestion Sundara. I'm especially happy because Misery City is turning out to be pretty much of a bust for me.

message 11: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments Hehe. Been there :P I think you will enjoy Miss Peregrine's home for peculiar children...

message 12: by Dagny (new)

I've finished my first for this month: Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs is the first of a trilogy and I plan to read the second book very soon. It's a YA novel illustrated with old photographs. Thanks to Sundara for prompting this read! I really enjoyed it. 3.5 stars for a fascinating premise.

message 13: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments More than welcome:D@ Dagny
I enjoyed it alot too. But it was a bit predictable. Rated it 4.5.

message 14: by Heena (last edited Jul 08, 2016 09:58AM) (new)

Wow. You guys are doing great! I've heard a lot of praise for MPHFPC. I wanted to read it myself, but sadly I don't have it.
Hope you guys are having fun :)

I'm reading Alice in Wonderland: Special Collector's Manga for Graphic Novel and The Girl with All the Gifts for Dystopia.

message 15: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments Wow. Always love graphic novels!! Great,keep going Heena!

message 16: by Heena (new)

Sundara wrote: "Wow. Always love graphic novels!! Great,keep going Heena!"

Thanks, Sundara! You too :)

message 17: by Heena (new)

I'm done with my first for this month: The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey. My rating: 5/5
This is THE BEST BOOK I've read so far this year! I'd highly recommend it to anyone who wants to read a decent book with spectacular characterization and totally awesome world building.

message 18: by Dagny (new)

Heena wrote: "I'm done with my first for this month: The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey. My rating: 5/5
This is THE BEST BOOK I've read so far this year! I'd highly recommend it to anyone ..."

Just checked my library and there are eight people waiting for it. Guess that's a testimony for it too, lol.

message 19: by Dagny (new)

Sundara and I will be reading Hollow City as a buddy read. It is the second of the Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children series. Everyone is welcome to join us. We'll be using the same thread in the Buddy Reads folder.

message 20: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments Yeah I'm waiting for that book too.
In Heena's recommendation!!

message 21: by Heena (new)

Dagny wrote: "Sundara and I will be reading Hollow City as a buddy read. It is the second of the Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children series. Everyone is welcome to join us. We'll be using the same..."

Awesome! I wish I could join as I really wanted to read this series, but sadly I don't have these books... Though, I'll make sure to add it to my cart on Amazon. :-)
Have fun both of you <3

message 22: by Titas (new)

Titas  | 98 comments Whoa whoa whoa. Graphic Novel Read and I missed it till now?
*facepalm*
I will start right now!

message 23: by Dagny (new)

Titas (Emperor) wrote: "Whoa whoa whoa. Graphic Novel Read and I missed it till now?
*facepalm*
I will start right now!"

Yea, Titas! I suspect you'll catch up fast.

message 24: by Andrew (last edited Jul 19, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

message 25: by Andrew (last edited Jul 19, 2016 01:23PM) (new)

Andrew (andrew619) | 153 comments I read my first comic of this month (not planned): The Case of Charles Dexter Ward: A Graphic Novel. I read the novel many years a go and this comics is incredible. It has brought to my mind all the feelings I had that time, but coloured. .)

message 26: by Dagny (new)

Andrew wrote: "I read my first comic of this month (not planned): The Case of Charles Dexter Ward: A Graphic Novel. I read the novel many years a go and this comics is incredible. It has brought t..."

Thanks, Andrew! I didn't even know this existed, but The Case of Charles Dexter Ward is one of my favorite Lovecraft books.

message 27: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (andrew619) | 153 comments Dagny wrote: "Andrew wrote: "I read my first comic of this month (not planned): The Case of Charles Dexter Ward: A Graphic Novel. I read the novel many years a go and this comics is incredible. I..."

Also mine. I discovered this book here and I looked forward to being able to have it.

message 28: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments I so love graphic novels..like pukka comics but right now I'm broke!! Very soon I'll go buy a lump-purchase of comic books!!:P
Aug 19-28th there's a big book fair!! Waiting for it!!

message 29: by Dagny (new)

Sundara wrote: "Aug 19-28th there's a big book fair!! Waiting for it!!"

What fun!

message 30: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 2222 comments Mod
I know it's kind of late in the month, but I just joined the group. I did read a Dystopian book this month: Unwind Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman It's a YA book, recommended by my niece who had to read for school. I liked it.

message 31: by Dagny (new)

Welcome, Cheryl!

I've seen your updates on Unwind and it looks like a super unusual premise - scary!

message 32: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 2222 comments Mod
Dagny wrote: "Welcome, Cheryl!

I've seen your updates on Unwind and it looks like a super unusual premise - scary!"

It was. I think parents would find it even more horrifying than kids would.

message 33: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (andrew619) | 153 comments I've just finished Locke & Key, Vol. 2: Head Games.
This story is more complex than it seemed, but I'm looking forward to read the next.

message 34: by Dagny (new)

Andrew wrote: "I've just finished Locke & Key, Vol. 2: Head Games.
This story is more complex than it seemed, but I'm looking forward to read the next."

Glad you're enjoying it, Andrew.

message 35: by Heena (new)

Sundara wrote: "I so love graphic novels..like pukka comics but right now I'm broke!! Very soon I'll go buy a lump-purchase of comic books!!:P
Aug 19-28th there's a big book fair!! Waiting for it!!"

Same here. And that's great. Where is this fair?

message 36: by Heena (new)

Titas (Emperor) wrote: "Whoa whoa whoa. Graphic Novel Read and I missed it till now?
*facepalm*
I will start right now!"

Where have you been lately, Titas? I hope everything's well at your end :) Great to have you back here :-)

message 37: by Heena (new)

Dagny wrote: "Just checked my library and there are eight people waiting for it. Guess that's a testimony for it too, lol."

Lol. True. I'm telling you this book is simply out-of-this-world. Please do read if you get some time. I'm sure you'll like it :)

message 38: by Heena (new)

Cheryl wrote: "I know it's kind of late in the month, but I just joined the group. I did read a Dystopian book this month: Unwind Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman It's a YA book, recommended by my niece wh..."

No worries, Cheryl. Better late than never :)
And wow, this books seems right up my ally. I'll definitely check it out!
All the best for your next reads.

message 39: by Heena (last edited Jul 22, 2016 06:03AM) (new)

I just finished my 2nd for this month - Alice in Wonderland: Special Collector's Manga - ★★★★ - Beautiful illustrations and interpretations. I loved it and I'm looking forward to read Finding Nemo Manga next :-)

message 40: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (andrew619) | 153 comments Finished my 3rd book for this month: The Long Walk.
Not the most famous book of King, but I found it great! It's more a psychological thriller, than a classical horror, but makes you stay with bated breath for all the book.

message 41: by Dagny (new)

Andrew wrote: "Finished my 3rd book for this month: The Long Walk."

That sounds like such a breath-taking read, Andrew, that I've just put it on my list. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

message 42: by Titas (new)

Titas  | 98 comments Heena wrote: "Titas (Emperor) wrote: "Whoa whoa whoa. Graphic Novel Read and I missed it till now?
*facepalm*
I will start right now!"

Where have you been lately, Titas? I hope everything's well at your end :) ..."

Started research work, became a Guest Lecturer, resigned, applying abroad for PhD and now I am a Senior Content Developer and Editor at a Publishing house while being a part time Scholar, (CHAOS)^infinity

message 44: by Dagny (new)

Titas (Emperor) wrote: "Last few days:
The Shrinking Man"

I wonder if it's the same as the old movie (from maybe the 50s or so) - The Incredible Shrinking Man. I love that movie and still remember it!

message 45: by Dagny (new)

Finished my second one for the month.

2. Hollow City

Great read, part 2 of a trilogy and they must be read in order.

message 46: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments You finished!! Great.. I'll finish it latest by tomorrow;)

message 47: by Titas (new)

Titas  | 98 comments Dagny wrote: "Titas (Emperor) wrote: "Last few days:
The Shrinking Man"

I wonder if it's the same as the old movie (from maybe the 50s or so) - The Incredible Shrinking Man. I love that movie an..."

Yes it is that one. Just great new graphic adaptation of that epic old-school-sci-fi novel.

message 48: by Dagny (new)

Titas (Emperor) wrote: "Titas (Emperor) wrote: "Last few days:
The Shrinking Man"

Yes it is that one. Just great new graphic adaptation of that epic old-school-sci-fi novel."

Thanks, Titas. I'll be on the look out for it.

message 49: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (andrew619) | 153 comments Finished my 4th book: The Running Man.
I was curious to read this, after watched many times the movie.
Not bad, nice story and pace, an end that may not be surprising.

message 50: by Dagny (new)

Andrew wrote: "Finished my 4th book: The Running Man.
I was curious to read this, after watched many times the movie.
Not bad, nice story and pace, an end that may not be surprising."

Good choice for dystopia, Andrew. I read it years ago and enjoyed it.

« previous 1