The Lorien Legacies discussion

** SPOILERS** discussion of United as One

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J (new)

J | 2 comments Just finished reading the last book. In the end I was kinda disappointed, but here are my thoughts and then I have questions at the end if anyone would be willing to comment.

Good Stuff:
1. I loved the Phiri Dun-Ra storyline and how Setrakus Ra finally got a worthy lieutenant instead of him and a bunch of dumb mogs.
2. I liked the whole patience creek storyline, the Niagra falls pickup of the LANES and especially John's complete takeout of the Mogadorian ship
3. I liked the realistic portrayal of John's suicidal drive to end the war to avenge Sarah.
4. I thought the battle for Patience Creek was wayyyyy more exciting than the battle of West Virginia. When 5 and Sam faced off with Thin Mog and Phiri with John bleeding out with the Voron noose was insane!!!! Also Caleb and Daniella stepping up was cool. Also thought the Mark James storyline was really good and I'm kinda glad he died. Sam killing the Shadow Mog was also cool.

Bad Stuff:
1. I'll start with my biggest complaint. The ending. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? The Garde are all in different parts of the world without contact, Adam is freezing his *** off in an Alaskan prison after being more key to victory than a lot of the Garde. John doesn't have the balls to say goodbye to Sarah. But most of all John's ending. To recap, 1st, 4th, 5th and 6th books emphasized how much he loved Sarah and then she dies. That's fine because it gave a great storyline of John changing into the ruthless machine he needed to be to win. The 2nd and 3rd books hinted at a potential relationship with Six but then Sam comes into the picture. i always wanted 6 and John to end up together. Anyway, I thought there were two scenarios. 1. John would figure out a way to bring Sarah back. The Entity brought 8 back for a little. And Setrakus Ra hinted to Mark that he had the capability so I thought that might happen.
2. I thought Sam was going to die leading to the romance between 6 and John and there were so many reasons why! For one, the two point of views in the book are just 6 and John. Second, 6, who is willing to lose everything to kill Setrakus decides to go back and try and save John instead of the sure thing of blowing Setrakus to bits? That sounds like true love to me. ( and she gives him a kiss after). But NO. John is a third wheel watching Sam and 6 skinny dip and the author comes out of nowhere and spends half a page pairing Marina and John together with a crying, insane Marina kissing John. Seriously? I would have rather had John die heroically to see Sarah again than that ending.

Complaint #2: Not a single Loric dies. They constantly say war has sacrifices but not a single one dies. It's just unrealistic. I thought Marina was going to die since she didn't have any point of view chapters and then she could be with 8. I thought 5 would die in the battle with Setrakus or 9 or John. But no, not a single one. 6 gets stabbed in the chest by Phiri, Adam falls into a pit. I just thought the author decided to kill off all unimportant characters instead. Chimaeras, Cepans, new LANES with little backstory and no use like Bertrand and Fleur.

3. I thought Lawson was going to be more interesting. I thought he was going to be MogPro.

4. I liked the final struggle between John and Setrakus. Attacking vs. Healing. But man was 9 such a bystander this battle and pretty much the whole book. I mean this is the dude that singlehandedly faced off with Setrakus in the third book and he doesn't do a single impactful thing in battle.

5. I was hoping for a crazy Loric vs. Augmentations battle in West Virginia. Instead there was only Phiri and a flying acidic ghost. It would be cool to have pretty much a mano y Mano showdown where 6, Adam, 5, Marina, and 9 have matchups with similar Mogs while John fights Setrakus.

In the end, Chapter 27 and on I didn't like. I wanted 6 and John to end up together. It's cool that John's lumen and Marinas ice balance each other out but still. What are your guys thoughts? Would love to hear your opinions on if you agree or disagree with my thoughts.

message 2: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin  Knox (bknox1196) | 40 comments Mod
I can honestly say that i wholeheartedly agree with almost everything you said here. If you ask me, the ending was rather anticlimactic.

I started reading this series a couple months before the Rise of Nine was released, so I have put countless hours of thought into how the series should end and what should happen to the main characters. Not once in any of my thoughts would I have had it end this way. I was very disappointed at the ending but can partially understand why he did it that way.

PL has been known to kill off certain important characters to mix things up and shake us all up a bit. For instance, I did not picture Henri dying at the beginning. Eight was a givin, since the prophecy said he would die, but it was still surprising how he died. Now Sarah, that was a low blow. He put 6 books worth of character development into her just to kill her off in the end. I feel like after all they had been through, it was only appropriate for John and Sarah to have a happy ending. I feel like here death should have been a bigger deal to John than he made it out to be. I understand he sought revenge for her the whole book, but he only cries one time in the entire book.

You are totally right about the lack of Lorics dying. I can't believe Five didn't die. the same goes for Marina. IMO, if anyone should have died, it should have been either, Sam, Five, Adam and/or Marina. They did all have important roles in the beginning of the series, but near the end, their importance seemed to dwindle.

If Sam had died, that would have opened up the opportunity for everyones prayers being answered and John and Six being able to be together. I'm pretty sure everyone is in agreement that the two should be together.

John and Marina do NOT go together. I think that PL put the two together because he wanted them to both have a good ending, but at the same time was tired of writing so he just threw something together in an attempt to leave us on a happy note.

Like i said previously, the ending was anticlimactic. I had imagined that last fight going a lot more differently than it did. The main scene that always ran through my mind was picturing John being a bada** and defeating him singlehandedly. Sadly that wasn't the case.

Overall, I am somewhat happy with how the series turned out. I think the best books were 1-3. After Fall of Five, things just seemed to go downhill if you ask me. The series probably should have stopped at book 5 or 6. I think we all love the series, but were all about ready for it to come to an end.

Regardless of how I thought the series should end with, PL did an incredible job with the entire series. Hats off to Mr. Frey and congrats on concluding a great series!

P.S. Im still pissed off that the series didn't end with the Garde leaving earth for Lorien like the earlier books suggest.

message 3: by J (new)

J | 2 comments I agree about never going back to Lorien, but the "Entity" was on Earth now so Lorien was just a wasteland.

I think it would have been fitting if 5 saved 9 by taking a blade to the chest (like 8) in the battle with Setrakus that would have turned the tide.

I also think it would have been more realistic if there had been another element to the Battle in West Virginia. Setrakus knew they were coming and even though he was extremely confident in winning I think it would have made sense that he also take advantage of their attack. After capturing Earth, his main desire was to recapture Ella.

In my hypothetical scenario, while Sam, Rex, and Ella, are watching over the battle, some Mogs with augmentations and other vat born sneak on board the ship and attack. I think it would have made the narrative more exciting with three battle scenes instead of three characters completely out of the action. Obviously, the perspectives are from John and 6, but they could get telepathic updates from Ella.

In my imagined revision, Sam, Rex, and Ella would fight their way back to the hanger and get Ella aboard a Skimmer back to Earth. Sam, facing superior Augmented Mogs that he can't beat would use his Legacy to turn off the warship and take the Augmented Mogs down with him.

It would have been fitting with the end of the war finishing just like it started: Little Ella flying away from danger in the knick of time but this time without Crayton or her Chimaeras.

(Yeah I know another scenario where 6 and John end up together but I really wanted that to happen.)

But I agree in the end it was a great series.

Last comments: All those prophecies in the cave ended up coming true...except for the last one where Earth is split into two pieces. It seems a little convenient.

Also, the question of where those Elders disappeared to was never answered.

I thought the book title indicated there would be some connection to Number One.

Somewhat disappointing that LANES and Garde still need to remain hidden.

message 4: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Di Consoli (jinya26) | 35 comments I almost agree with all you said guys!!the battle in WV was quite disappointing....adam, 6 and in particular 9 are of nonuse!!!! i thought the last battle would be more chaotic, full of action and not so "he is so strong..we are not strong enough..i will die trying!!".
and also john's struggling, ok, he wanted revenge, but losing his i-am-the-boss-that-takes-good-decisions thing.......
my fav book is the 2nd!!

message 5: by Four (new)

Four | 18 comments Hey, I find your" i-am-the-boss-that-takes-good-decisions thing......." offensive

message 6: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneyokayokay) | 2 comments Wow, I am so sad for this all to be over. I wish the ending was climatic, and I wish that Eight would have come back, I wish he would have put more emphasis into Five dying, and kept him dead, and I wish he would have brought it all back together in the end of the story, I wish that Ella would have played a huge role in the battle in West Virginia, but I loved the fact that Six was the one who killed Setrakus Rá, not John, because I think that took away some of the cliché-iness about John being the one to end the fight.

I am so upset with the last chapter, I wish that something more climatic would have happened, not them being all spread apart, and that Adam wouldn't be put in a camp! It all doesn't make sense to me.

But overall, I loved this series so much, and it was my favorite series I've ever read!

message 7: by Maya (new)

Maya | 3 comments OML why why why is it over?????????

OK, now. I have a question. Why did PL put in the whole thing about Henry showing John the whole thing about the Lorien planet if he was just going to make Earth Lorien?

OK, and technically, since the Garde were aliens, wouldn't the Garde be taking over Earth too? PL kept stating that the mogs were trying to take over Earth, but... techincally the Garde and the Mogs were trying to take over a planet that was not theirs.

OOOOOKKKKKKKK. AND THE WORST THING-> THE ENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT?????? DID ANYONE ACTUALLY PICK UP WHAT WAS IN THAT CIGAR BOX????????????? WHYYYYYY PL WHY? What was up with that freaky messed up ending??? What was PL trying to do in the end?

I
I
I
I
\/

Anyway. Rant over.

message 8: by Kasra (new)

Kasra Radmard | 3 comments Maya wrote: "OML why why why is it over?????????

OK, now. I have a question. Why did PL put in the whole thing about Henry showing John the whole thing about the Lorien planet if he was just going to make Eart..."

John was giving out pendants with the Lorien symbol for unity engraved into them. Similar to the original pendants the Garden were given when they came to earth.

message 9: by Maya (new)

Maya | 3 comments Kasra wrote: "Maya wrote: "OML why why why is it over?????????

OK, now. I have a question. Why did PL put in the whole thing about Henry showing John the whole thing about the Lorien planet if he was just going..."

OMG thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!! I was so confused! (Obviously I guess.)

message 10: by Pittacus Lore (new)

Pittacus Lore (PittacusLore) | 7 comments The bad part was that John only got like, seven legacies using his Ximic. I thought he would get every legacy and actually fight Setrakus Ra, not HEAL HIM!!!

The worst part is five. He should have:
A. Died
B. Brought Eight back
C. End up with Seven
D. Help defeat Setrakus Ra

And, forgive me, but I've always pictured nine as some badass hero who would take out Setrakus Ra, after all, he fought Setrakus Ra in the rise of nine with and without his legacies.

Finally, I'm glad the Dreyden didn't work on Setrakus but four should have done the lightning/area effect rather than charging a weapon with dreyden, not to mention wounds from it is unhealablle!

But why did SIX kill Setrakus. I mean sure, the "I am number four. I am the one who finishes you." I let my legacies pour out. All of them "This is what progress looks like b****" parts were awesome but I feel like Adam was overplayed, so when Phili-Dun-Ra died so would he, not to mention, rather than get a heroes welcome, he is in an Alaskan prison

message 11: by effbutnoteff (new)

effbutnoteff | 6 comments I kind of liked the ending I just feel like maybe they could have gone back to lorien or something does anyone else agree with me?

message 12: by Mer (new)

Mer (pixiehyelim) | 6 comments Tyler wrote: "I kind of liked the ending I just feel like maybe they could have gone back to lorien or something does anyone else agree with me?"

yeSSSSSs
It was really disappointing to see them stay on Earth, especially since the process of the restarting Lorien seemed really exciting sigh

message 13: by Suicideloveme (new)

Suicideloveme (mrlol) | 39 comments I didnt like when the humans with powers died as fleur and bernard

Hate Phiri that bastard,

They could make a new book the story has a lot of point to be continued

i ship marina and john

message 14: by Suicideloveme (new)

Suicideloveme (mrlol) | 39 comments Tyler wrote: "I kind of liked the ending I just feel like maybe they could have gone back to lorien or something does anyone else agree with me?"

yeah that would be a perfect end I didnt like the idea of mogadorians and the lorics in our planet earth

message 15: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Di Consoli (jinya26) | 35 comments but guys....Lorien is a dead planet!!i dont Think that pittacus put that mexican spot just to have a New sightseeing......it was his project to make Lorien alive again on Earth. imo everything was already written in PL mind...Earth will be the new Lorien..and so it was!
I prefer this ending than they go back to Lorien.....

message 16: by Suicideloveme (new)

Suicideloveme (mrlol) | 39 comments Virginia wrote: "but guys....Lorien is a dead planet!!i dont Think that pittacus put that mexican spot just to have a New sightseeing......it was his project to make Lorien alive again on Earth. imo everything was ..."

well i respect your opinión, I only dont like the lorien native people to become extinct becouse of relationships like the one that sam and 6 have.

message 17: by Jessica (last edited Mar 19, 2018 06:47PM) (new)

Jessica Voltaire | 1 comments The ending was ok, I would have liked for all the garde to see with their own eyes setrakus ra die. Five should have been their final scar he should have been killed by setrakus ra. Ra didn't kill any of them himself so I think it would've been fitting to have him kill five. Sam and six balance each other, she toughens him up and he softens her a bit. Marina should have been with ella at the spot where they met 8 and John should've gotten closure with Sarah's family and also Mark's family then met up with Marina and ella, then maybe their getting together would make sense. I think it would have to be more than a year for that though. Adam could have been running that mòg jail not a prisoner. I would have liked it if Malcom got revenge on the mog doctor who experimented on him... There was so much given to us in the way of information but not much closure for them, like Nine always wanting to fight and to have him actually let marina carry him out of there did not fit his character

message 18: by Suicideloveme (new)

Suicideloveme (mrlol) | 39 comments Yeah you are right about the last art; personally I dont really care about 5 getting killed or not, I only whant to see what happens with them after a while.

Also John and Marina make a great couple.

message 19: by Suicideloveme (new)

Suicideloveme (mrlol) | 39 comments Jessica wrote: "The ending was ok, I would have liked for all the garde to see with their own eyes setrakus ra die. Five should have been their final scar he should have been killed by setrakus ra. Ra didn't kill ..."

Yeah you are right about the last art; personally I dont really care about 5 getting killed or not, I only whant to see what happens with them after a while.

Also John and Marina make a great couple.

message 20: by effbutnoteff (new)

effbutnoteff | 6 comments J wrote: "Just finished reading the last book. In the end I was kinda disappointed, but here are my thoughts and then I have questions at the end if anyone would be willing to comment.

Good Stuff:
1. I lov..."

You say that there are no deaths from the loric at the ending, however that is completely false. Have you even read all of the books?*SPOILERS* Five and eight both die, and they are the garde. Not to mention the entire lorien planet. No hate but at least get your facts right before you go complaining about things that you don't have all the information about.

message 21: by Suicideloveme (new)

Suicideloveme (mrlol) | 39 comments Tyler wrote: "J wrote: "Just finished reading the last book. In the end I was kinda disappointed, but here are my thoughts and then I have questions at the end if anyone would be willing to comment.

Good Stuff:..."
5 is alive

message 22: by Levi (new)

Levi  (levisage) | 1 comments I have just finished reading all the books in about a week (I had read the first three then stopped. just finished them now) and it's amazing what a hole it leaves now that it's all over! It didn't end how I wanted but still, the ride was awesome.

The point of the series was not to be artistic in any way. there is no greater scheme of things, no prophecy, no destiny to follow. the point was only to male it a fun read. so I cannot complain that somebody SHOULD have done something. because the authors were not trying to make Lorien Legacies anything more than a cool story.What I can say is that character development made sense.

Number Four's turn to a numb, ruthless killer in book 7 was a plausible and understandable scenario. This turned him into a 'god' of sorts, being above everything else, above feelings, above life. to become so, he had to lose what made him human: Sarah.

If she hadn't died, they would not have won (I still cannot believe she did die though).

it's the other way around for Six. Imagining her with Sam still seems so wrong, but it's understandable. she goes from being that selfless weapon to feeling something. When John rose, she fell. they would have made the greatest power-couple ever.
I still believe her love not to be 'passionate' for Sam. that, and I hate anti-heroes so Sam getting Six just makes me uneasy. (Maybe Sam is the incarnation of the authors, who see themselves as him idk).

To become Pittacus, John cannot be attached to anything. I don't think he's even grieving Sarah anymore at the end. he's above that all - you get that senseï vibe in the final chapter of 'United as One'. although he should have killed Ra plain and simple.

We have so many loose ends (like what happens to the Mogs left on Mogadore?? that would be a cool story) but I believe there is no need to. it was never a priority for them to do so.

message 23: by Suicideloveme (new)

Suicideloveme (mrlol) | 39 comments Levi wrote: "I have just finished reading all the books in about a week (I had read the first three then stopped. just finished them now) and it's amazing what a hole it leaves now that it's all over! It didn't..."

Yeah it leaves a lot of loose ends. The next book of united as one; the fugettive 6 is already out.

message 24: by Suicideloveme (new)

Suicideloveme (mrlol) | 39 comments Generation one, not united as one

message 25: by Eyob (new)

Eyob | 1 comments to : J

remember when PL explained that John and a certain girl... not sure if who was identified, as children were always thought to get married together... i think the cêpan's used to joke about it but with the ending in United as One, with Marina and John getting together and their cold and hot legacies balancing a new dynamic, i think PL new exactly what he was doing.

in addition this series got me from being a book opposer to belly flopping into a ton of adventurist book... i went from this to The Beyonoders trilogy and this was 3 or 3 1/2 years ago and ive never met a series that changed and built me like this series until the Grisha Verse by Leigh Bardugo and i highly recommend it if your looking for an intense story and world that will grip you with a vice

PL did a wonderful job and i know i'll never forget this series... i be recommending it till i die. im grateful .

message 26: by NightEscense (last edited Jun 06, 2020 01:25AM) (new)

NightEscense | 5 comments The person that PL said were always thought to get married with John was Six. I love this series and it is one of the best I have read. I definitely think that Sam should die and John and Six get together. Disappointed they didn't.

I hope that PL will write another book series or just one book about everyone (John, Five, Six, Marina, Nine, Ella, Adam and everyone else) as it would be interesting to see what would happen to everyone. Also I would like to find out what happens with John and Marina because Six is probably not going to be with John (unless Sam dies) I want Marina to be with John (though I prefer Six and John).

I think that the Into The Ashes one is only about Six and Sam and The Generation One is about the LANE's. Please tell me if I am wrong.

message 27: by KetenAike (new)

KetenAike I think the end was planned to continue with more books (as happened). but my question is, HOW THE FUCK CAN THE AUTHOR MILK SO MUCH THE SERIES??

message 28: by NightEscense (new)

NightEscense | 5 comments I totally agree

message 29: by NightEscense (new)

NightEscense | 5 comments I wish 1 thing that might or might not happen: Six get together with 4

message 30: by Haley (new)

Haley | 2 comments I do think that this ending seemed a little rushed and unsatisfying, but the authors totally made up for it in the second series called the Lorien Legacies Reborn. This series was AMAZING!!!!!!