Booktastic Bookaholics discussion

The Copper Gauntlet (Magisterium, #2)
This topic is about The Copper Gauntlet
Book of the Month Archives > July 2016-The Copper Gauntlet by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (last edited Jul 01, 2016 04:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andrea (booktasticnerd87) | 4512 comments Mod
Synopsis The Copper Gauntlet:

Callum Hunt’s summer break isn’t like other kids’. His closest companion is a Chaos-ridden wolf, Havoc. His father suspects him of being secretly evil. And, of course, most kids aren’t heading back to the magical world of the Magisterium in the fall.

It’s not easy for Call . . . and it gets even harder after he checks out his basement and discovers that his dad might be trying to destroy both him and Havoc.

Call escapes to the Magisterium -- but things only intensify there. The Alkahest -- a copper gauntlet capable of separating certain magicians from their magic -- has been stolen. And in their search to discover the culprit, Call and his friends Aaron and Tamara awaken the attention of some very dangerous foes -- and get closer to an even more dangerous truth.

As the mysteries of the Magisterium deepen and widen, bestselling authors Holly Black and Cassandra Clare take readers on an extraordinary journey through one boy’s conflict -- and a whole world’s fate.

Questions:

What was the star rating you gave it?
What did you think of the characters?
What did you think of the story?
Did you enjoy it? If so, why? If not, why?
Would you recommend this to others?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I will be reading only Inkheart because I haven't read the first book of the other series yet. XD

Megan (ReadingRover) | 1232 comments Mod
I read both of these. Inkheart is fabulous. I've read the whole series. It's a classic.
I've also read both books in the series for the Copper Gauntlet. I'm getting into it. Some people don't like it because of the Harry Potter similarities but I don't mind them and the world building isn't as strong as with HP. For what it is it's a good series. I love Havoc the wolf!

I have already read Inkheart. So I will be reading The Copper Gauntlet. I cannot wait to get it read. Although I know what you mean about all the HP similarities but I don't see them as much as other people. Besides if there were so many I am sure that J. K. Rowling would have said something by now about it.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I have read inkheart as well. I just want to reread it because I haven't finished the series.

I don't know if I will finish the series. I really don't. I may make the attempt. I was not thrilled with the first one if I remember correctly. I don't know but I did like the movie. I might give it a go again since I have seen the movie and see if that helps.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah it's a hit and miss book. Love the covers tho!

I love the covers to all three of them. They are great but like you said they are hit or miss. My husband loved them. And he and I tend to have some different taste. Enough that you can tell that we don't have completely similar reading taste.

However for this board I'm reading The Iron Trial now since I finished I Was Here at like two this morning.

message 9: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne | 727 comments Mod
I read this years ago and enjoyed it, I attempted to re-read when I saw that it was a group read, but didn't like it so much.

I read the Inkheart but I don't really remember much of it. I tried to read the second one and just couldn't get into it. My husband devoured all three. I just could barely make it through the second one.

However, since I was reading The Copper Gauntlet for this one I have to say I got distracted and didn't finish it. I plan to finish it this month though.

message 11: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne | 727 comments Mod
I read the first but now that i think about i didn't read this one at all. I tried to re-read the first so i could get back into the series.