Evergreen Park Readers discussion

The Immortal Irishman: Thomas Meager and the Invention of Irish America
This topic is about The Immortal Irishman
One Life to Live

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (last edited Jun 30, 2016 08:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Wassenaar | 54 comments This one is worth a read just for the Irish history. I didnt really know much beyond the basics of the Great Hunger until reading this book. Really, though that is all just background information for the amazing, unbelievable adventures of Thomas Meagher. Driven from his teenage years by the one goal of a free Ireland, this guy wasted no time making things happen. He was a leader in the Young Ireland Rebellion, got banished to Tasmania, escaped to America, became a prominent lecturer and speaker and then the brigadier General in the Union Army's Irish Brigade. He was shot several times, survived Bull Run, Antietam, Fredericksburg, and then went west and became governor of Montana Territory! Oh, and got married twice, too, firstly to thief's daughter in Van Diemen's Land, and then to an American WASP socialite after the first wife's death. All before the age of 43. So, what are you doing with your life? :) Fascinating story told in a journalistic style. Informing and entertaining reading.

Anna Wassenaar | 54 comments This guy sounds amazing. I now have to read this!

message 3: by Donna (new)

Donna Bailey | 98 comments I just picked up my copy and can't wait to read it based on your recommendation! Happy Vacation next week. I know what I will be doing a lot of now instead of work around the house.