Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016 Weekly checkins > Week 26: 6/24-6/30

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Week 26. The half-way point. The end of June. Wow! How did we get here already?

Indeed, today marks the end of June and the mid-way point of 2016. For those of you trying to stay on pace for the challenge, you should have 20 books completed and be reading your 21st book. But no worries if you're not there, we still have a lot of reading ahead of us!

This week I finally finished America's Bitter Pill: Money, Politics, Backroom Deals, and the Fight to Fix Our Broken Healthcare System for "a book with a protagonist who has your occupation." According to Goodreads, I started this book in January. Eventually, I moved from the paper copy to the audio and just clipped away at it over my long drives from West Michigan to Detroit (140 miles/2 hours). Ironically, when I started the book, my job title was "Health Reform Manager" and we've had a title change since then but I'm still counting this.

That brings me to 31/41.

Question of the week: Which book(s) do you own multiple copies of and why?

For me, there's The Great Gatsby (paperback and e-book); The Nightingale (hard cover and e-book); One Hundred Years of Solitude (trade paperback and audio book) and all of the Harry Potter books which I have in hardcover and audio book.

Gatsby is my all-time favorite. I ended up buying the e-book when the Leonardo DiCaprio movie version came out and I'd picked the book for my book club. I was having a hard time reading my paperback copy and so I bought the Kindle version and literally read it start to finish in two hours. Talk about conditioning.

Nightingale I had as a hardcover and bought the Kindle because it was $2.99 and I just love this book. Harry Potter series I had in hardcover from their original release but never finished the series so I got the audios via audible.com to listen to during long drives and finished the series this year.

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 540 comments I"m at 24/41. I only completed one book during the week with two others in progress.

I completed A book you haven't read since high school by reading The Westing Game. I remember really enjoying this book in high school. Unfortunately, the charm was lost on me this time around and I can't help but wonder what exactly I liked about this book? There were way too many characters for my liking and I couldn't keep track. Maybe I'll give it a try in another 10 years and see if my tastes change again LOL

The other two books I'm reading are not going to fit in to this challenge but I'll still list them here:

-The Unexpected Everything - technically this could be used for taking place during the summer but I have a different book I want to use for that. I like it so far but its very descriptive when it doesn't need to be.

-Shades of Earth - working on completing the trilogy. You guys know I can't stand starting a series but not finishing it (which is a trademark of mine).

I'd like to wrap these two up and then move on to my YA Best Seller.

Question of the Week I own multiple copy's of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - Actually now that I think about it I have three of just that edition. The original copy I first read as a teen, then I got the box set when they updated the covers for the 15th anniversary. And finally I own the illustrated edition. Just yesterday, I was looking on Barnes and Noble considering getting the books in e-book form. I mean you never know when you're going to be in the mood to re-read Harry Potter and one should be prepared. And then I have two of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - the one I waited in line for at midnight when it was released and the updated cover.

Thegirlintheafternoon Hello all! I finished one book this week, bringing me to 31/41.

I read This Is My Country Too for "book about a road trip." It was fascinating - a nonfiction account of a road trip the author, John A. Williams, took around the U.S. in the months surrounding the Kennedy assassination. Williams was an extremely prolific African-American novelist and journalist, but his works have been mostly forgotten - entirely unjustly, as he is an excellent writer. This would make a great companion to Between the World and Me.

QOTW: I own two copies of Désirée, both of which I treasure. (One of them was a Secret Santa present from my best friend in college, who found a beat-up copy online and had another friend hand-paint the cover for me. Reader, I sobbed.)

message 4: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (kiik) | 158 comments I finally finished a new book! I have been in the worst reading slump of my life; I am finally crawling out of it, and I feel so much better. So last night, I finished Brave New World (satire), which was suuuper weird, but had so many great subtle critiques on the world. Definitely recommend.

I don't often buy multiples of books (because I want to spend my money on more new books!), but I'm still planning on buying the illustrated version on Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I do have two copies of a theology book I had to read for school, but that was more of an accident than anything else...

message 5: by Mike (last edited Jun 30, 2016 11:02AM) (new)

Mike | 443 comments I finished two books this week! I'm thrilled since I'm such a slow reader, normally.

Along those lines, I'm awed that even though I set a high (for me) goal of 40 books this year, GR tells me that I'm 10 ahead of schedule. I credit this challenge for pushing me.

Finished my First Book You See in a Bookstore, The Widow. It was OK. Very riveting until the end, which I found disappointing. There was a major question left unanswered that I found annoying. Copied from my review: (view spoiler)

Just now finished Book Written by a Celebrity Bossypants. Good. Not great, but good.

29/41

message 6: by Kaci (new)

Kaci | 67 comments 20/41- happy to not be behind for the challenge and hoping to catch up for my personal reading goal of 50 books. This week I read Frog Music. I found it pretty fascinating. For shock value, for importance, for story telling. I liked it.

Weekly question: I have a few double copies on my home bookshelf. Before my husband and I were married we spend quite a lot of time away from each other and we'd read the same book at the same time so we could flak about it. Now that we're married, both copies made it to the shelf. (Fahrenheit 451, One Hundred Years of Solitude, lots of Fitzgerald and Hemingway)

message 7: by Christophe (new)

Christophe Bonnet | 212 comments One book read this week; several other on the way.

Tarantula by Bob Dylan 15. A book written by a celebrity: Bob Dylan, Tarantula , Scribner, 2004 (f1st ed. 1966).

Interesting but not great. It obviously wouldn't have been published with a different name on the cover; Dylan himself delayed the publication, presumably because he wasn't too happy with the book. It was eventually published as is, several years later, probably more to spite those who were making a bundle selling pirate copies than for the inherent quality of the work. It does have some good bits in it - it's basically a collection of prose poems of more or less fixed form. Some of them pretty good, a lot of other made it hard not to drift off of your reading.

That put me at 47/82. Plodding along!

message 8: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments I'm leaving the beach today and heading back to reality! It's been a relaxing week, and I have had a lot of reading time.

I read both of the Veronica Mars mysteries. I loved that show when it was on air. It took a few chapters to get the vibe back, but once I could imagine the tone each character would have used it was just like watching the show again.

After I finished that I had some trouble settling on another book. I am about 3/4 through Lily and the Octopus which is equal parts weird and touching.

I have some other books in progress but have made no progress this week.

I don't reread books very often, but I do have some in multiple formats
I own the Outlander series in paper (mixture of hardback and trade paperback), kindle ebook AND audible. Mostly I use Whispersync and flip between the audio and ebook when I'm rereading.

I also have paper, ebook and audio of Harry Potter. I'm missing a few of the ebooks but I will eventually get them all.

Those two series are ones I do read reguarly so it's worth having multiple copies.

I also have some paper copy/ebook combos of some classics. I am looking to add some nicer editions of some of the classics to my collection. I have my eye on a Jane Eyre and a Pride and Prejudice.

Oh, and I almost forgot. I have a paper copy and ebook of Legacy by Linda Govik.

I think that's all :)

message 9: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 418 comments Last week I finished 2 books but none for the challenge.

Watchmen and The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. The last one was very good.

I should start today a book from my province.

QOTW: I have 2 copies of Le Petit Prince, two copies of The Caves of Steel and I bought too many times books that I lend to people and never return.

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Holbrook (jessicalh08) | 129 comments Still no progress to report this week, but I'm about 50 pages from being finished with Pride and Prejudice for my book at least 100 years older than you. P+P is book 21 though so I'm on track!

I don't think I have any duplicates currently on my shelf. I rarely buy books though, the library is my best friend. ;)

message 11: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 6648 comments Mod
I re-arranged how I'm counting books for challenges, and I finished one book for the Challenge this week, so I am now at 40/41! Very exciting!!

This week I read Harlan Coben's The Stranger for "book set in your homestate" (NJ). It was my first Coben and I really enjoyed it, although I did not care for the ending; I'll definitely be reading more from him.

I also finished The Earth Moved: On the Remarkable Achievements of Earthworms, which wasn't for any category in this Challenge, but I really enjoyed it, so if you think you'd like to read a book about earthworms, I recommend it!

QOTW Um ... I don't know if I have multiple copies of any book. I'm a big time pack rat and my house is FULL of old clutter, and my attic and basement are full of boxes of books, I have so many books I can never find what I am looking for, so I try to combat that by not buying more books. Almost all of the books I read are from the library. I really have to reach to think of a book I might own more than once! Let's see ... my ex-husband has a hard copy of the original Cosmos, and I own the e-book. (GREAT BOOK, by the way!) Oooh! I know! I own a box-set of the Wrinkle In Time series, AND I own the A Wrinkle in Time e-book. And my daughter lost my copy of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (on the school bus or at school) so we had to buy a second copy, but that's not really the same. Oh, and somewhere I have an old battered paperback Love and War (first romance novel I ever read), and I also have the e-book edition (it was free!)

message 12: by Patricia (new)

Patricia This week I finished The Things They Carried which doesn't fit any categories for any challenges or clubs I'm in. I just wanted to read it and it was available on Overdrive. Excellent work.
QOTW: The only multiple-copy book I own is the Bible.

message 13: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I am still at 66% or 27/41 books read.

Question of the Week: Which book(s) do you own multiple copies of and why?

Usually, books I have multiple copies of are when there is a special edition or an audiobook.

I know I have several copies of FRANKENSTEIN, including an annotated edition. But, mostly, it's when a book I particularly like is released in a new audiobook that I will get it. Bronte, Austen are particular authors for this.

message 14: by AF (new)

AF | 350 comments I read four books this week, which makes me 34 of 41 books for this challenge (82%!)

First I read Rogue Lawyer by John Grisham. This is definitely not his best book. All the cockiness got a little old. But it was "the book" and so then I read the prequel, which is Partners: A Rogue Lawyer Short Story. It was super short (which I didn't realize when I first started), but it was interesting. I liked the story.

Then I read this months reading challenge book, Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng. I liked it. I was disappointed in the father and with Lydia for not being stronger, but both elements added to the story.

After finishing this book I read Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography by Neil Patrick Harris. This was a very fun book to read. Not so much for the autobiography, but for the choosing what I wanted to read aspect. It truly was like the Choose Your Own Adventure books from my childhood. You read a story about NPH. Then at the end of that story you choose what you want to read about next. But he makes it funny and fun. It was entertaining. I read it twice so that I could make different choices and learn more about him. I loved watching Doogie Howser MD when I was a kid and How I Met Your Mother when I was older. He's a very entertaining, talented man and I'm glad I read this.

Today I will start The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey. It is for the book with a character with my occupation, which is a teacher. Someone suggested this book for my occupation so I hope it fits well. It sounds intriguing.

QotW: I don't own multiple copies of anything in my personal library. I don't even keep books once I've read them. I like to give my books away after I read them. That's what I think books are for. :) And I borrow from the library for 83% of my reading.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.