Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Archives > The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jasmine (last edited Jun 30, 2016 06:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jasmine (pikakejazz) | 144 comments Reading this for the "non-fiction" week. I have had this on my TBR for a very, very VERY long time... Goes to show how often I read non-fiction!

Jody (jodybell) | 3472 comments This is a really fantastic book. Doesn't read like non-fiction at all! Very compelling and thought-provoking.

Marta (gezemice) | 856 comments It is. I read a lot of really good books this year, but this one takes the cake. Science, moral quesions, but also a story of the author's relationship with the family, and the lessons she learns in compassion. Amazing book! And easy to read as well. Reads like fiction, as Jody said.

message 4: by Aglaea (new) - added it

Aglaea | 371 comments I have this on my 52 and it's on Overdrive as one of the audiobooks we're currently discussing in the questions thread.

Heads up: it counts as a microhistory, because while it involves Henrietta Lacks, it's more about the HeLa cells used in labs across the world.

I've worked with them myself, which is rather strange to think. Imagine if you'd be living on "forever" like that, possibly against your consent as well (like happened to Lacks, who died and was used by science).

Jody (jodybell) | 3472 comments It was my microhistory book last year (for Book Riot, I think). I still really feel for Henrietta's family.

message 6: by Anastasia (new) - added it

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1366 comments There are so many layers to this story, most of which still are important to moral discussions today.

Jasmine (pikakejazz) | 144 comments FINISHED! I really did like this... I just wish that Skloot was able to take herself out of the story a little bit more. I guess I wasn't too interested in the "investigative journalism" aspect. Tell me more about the cells!! #nerdalert :)

My review here.

Kelley (kstoneking) | 89 comments Although I read this a few years ago, it is one I still recommend to students and adults alike. I also thought it read like fiction--not dry at all!

Joan Barnett | 1643 comments I'm reading this for the 2018 challenge #16 a narrative non-fiction. I'm listening to it on audio. So far it is interesting. I didn't realize the cells could still grow. It's weird to think of.

ash | (sffreads) Joan wrote: "I'm reading this for the 2018 challenge #16 a narrative non-fiction. I'm listening to it on audio. So far it is interesting. I didn't realize the cells could still grow. It's weird to think of."

Reading this too for the 2018 challenge #2 (longest on tbr). It is very interesting! I wasn't sure how I would like it -- which is why I put it off for so many years. I am really enjoying how Skloot adds background information on the family/doctors history as well as any background info on how techniques or things were used or perceived at that time. That piece is helping me really connect with the story.

message 11: by Joan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joan Barnett | 1643 comments Ashley wrote: "Joan wrote: "I'm reading this for the 2018 challenge #16 a narrative non-fiction. I'm listening to it on audio. So far it is interesting. I didn't realize the cells could still grow. It's weird to ..."

I'm more than halfway now. I can't imagine what there is left to talk about though. It's amazing what these cells did to advance vaccines and everything else.

message 12: by Joan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joan Barnett | 1643 comments I finished this today. Overall I really enjoyed the book and the interesting information about the cells. I just felt like it became more of a story about Debra (sp? I did audio book so now sure how she spelled). It wasn't a bad thing that it was about her, I just wasn't expecting it. The reader of the audio book kind of annoyed me so I don't know if that had anything to do with my lackluster review compared to others. I do think it is a really important book and everyone should be aware of the story.

Sophie (sawphie) | 2854 comments What did annoy you in the audiobook narrator? I tend to like audiobooks for non fiction, but I know how an annoying narrator can ruin a book for you.

message 14: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna | 978 comments I read this for week 15, a book with a unique format/writing structure. I feel it is a wonderful and informative book, one that should be read by anyone dealing with biology/medicine as well as the interested layman.

message 15: by Anastasia (new) - added it

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1366 comments I just watched the TV movie of this book. It has more information about the family that was not in the book.
Oprah did an amazing job. It took me a few minutes to recognize her.

Kathy | 2416 comments I read/listened to The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks for week 16, a narrative nonfiction. I liked it and found all the information about cells pretty easy to understand. The family story is very emotional.