The Challenge Factory discussion

2016 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > Nikk, Kaitie & Jade aka Mrs Tosh - Truthwitch

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5900 comments Mod
Nikk, Kaitie & Jade aka Mrs Tosh - Truthwitch

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 503 comments checking in! :-)

message 3: by Carter (new)

Carter Castelli | 75 comments hey how are we dividing this up? bought the book today

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 503 comments i am keen to start this one relatively quickly so round about 5th or 6th?

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) | 981 comments I'm easy :) can start whenever

message 6: by Carter (new)

Carter Castelli | 75 comments I'm good are we good to start anytime I just mentioned should we have a certain amount done by a certain date so we can discuss

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) | 981 comments Again I am happy to do whatever suits, I am a pretty fast reading but that being said I also have lots of other books to read because I can't say no to a challenge.... so I'm happy to do a few chapters and discuss or half a book an discuss :)

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 503 comments As this is my first month doing buddy reads, I am happy to go with you two think best in terms of this. I am also a relatively quick reader though like you Jade and I have heap of different challenges on this month just to make things fun :-).

There is about 40 or so chapters so do we want try to have the first 10 or so done by the 6th and go from there? Happy to go with other suggestions :-)

message 9: by Carter (new)

Carter Castelli | 75 comments read like the first five chapters its good but the names of things are hard to pronounce and they sorta throw you into the world and expect you to know what your doing there isn't much explanation of anything so far and i'm sorta lost about the history of everything and what things are.

message 10: by Carter (new)

Carter Castelli | 75 comments also i like jades plan to do the at least the first 10 by the 6th

message 11: by Carter (new)

Carter Castelli | 75 comments ready for discussion on the first ten anytime

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 503 comments I am starting it tonight - just need to finish off a challenge read first ( got about 90 pages or so left of it)

message 13: by Jade aka MrsTosh (new)

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) | 981 comments I have been away for the weekend so haven't started yet! Will begin this evening :)

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 503 comments I have finished the first ten chapters and i am enjoying it so far though i know what you mean about it being a little confusing. Right from the start there was a whole lot of characters that I had trouble sorting out who was who and I still don't really understand the magic system

That being said though I think its starting to settle down a bit more for me and i am interested to see where its all going

message 15: by Jade aka MrsTosh (new)

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) | 981 comments I have also finished the first ten chapters, a lot going on already!

You are right Kaitie for a YA book there is a lot of complicated place name and Christian names it is hard keeping up with who belongs where. Also, there are definitely no Muggles here lol, everyone seems to possess a certain type of witchcraft they have a craft for everything!

I am looking forwards to seeing what happens with the relationship between Safi and Prince Merik, and what the larger plan for Iseult is.

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 503 comments I am going to attempt to read another 10 chapters tonight - do we want to keep discussing in 10 chapter sequences ?

message 17: by Jade aka MrsTosh (new)

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) | 981 comments Yeah that's great with me :)

message 18: by Carter (new)

Carter Castelli | 75 comments can someone do there best to explain the different places and their history with the wells and the war? also what are guild masters and domes? and then what clan of witch is truth and thread in aether void?

message 19: by Carter (new)

Carter Castelli | 75 comments I feel like that's because they are in the witch lands there are definitely muggles in other parts of the land. do the hard copies of this book have a map in them?

message 20: by Jade aka MrsTosh (new)

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) | 981 comments I am reading the Kindle version and that has a map right at the beginning.

message 21: by Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon (last edited Jul 07, 2016 04:19AM) (new)

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 503 comments There is a map in the hard cover. I am on the app so not sure if this link will work but will try. This is the map in my copy:

[image error]

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 503 comments Ok so i am approximately half way through and i have to say while I am enjoying the story and the fat it is non stop action virtually the whole way through so far. I feel like there is a whole heap i don't know about the world and the magic system especially.

Here is what I can gather about the history so far: The empire of cartorra, empire of marstoki and empire of dalmottie were embroiled in a war with Nubrevna caught in the middle. About 19 years ago a 20 year truce was signed by all involved nations using some kind of truth magic so that if someone who signed the truce betrays or breaks it, their signature will disappear from the truce itself.

The truce is due to end quite soon and people are worried about what is going to happen and there is not a lot of trust between the nations despite the truce so many people behind the scenes have been planning for the life after the truce ends including Safi's uncle.

The magic system is a little harder for me to unravel so far as i still really don't understand it. For example both Iseult and merik are apparently 'weak' in their form of magic but both characters come across quite strong and i still don't really understand what a thread witch does and what the threadstones are.

As for the carawen monks, I think they are (or were) somehow keepers of magic and the wells the source of all the magics but it seems the entire magic system is corrupt and the wells dry though how that affects magic I really don't know.

i do think that Safi and Iseult are probably the caer arwen even without Merik's magic behind them and I am interested to see how it all plays out. I am going to start chapters 21-30 tonight.

where are you both up to?

message 24: by Carter (new)

Carter Castelli | 75 comments almost to 20 getting frustrated with the lack of knowledge like some mystery is always good but the way the book is going I don't think we are getting an explanation and I sorta feel like she's wasting the potential of this world she's created. also I feel like the blood witch and azult thing was sorta thrown in with no real build. her uncle's magic was a cool surprise though but idk how it relates to his plan or what that is. i also don't get why she didn't just trust the guild master and wait a day or two to see azult. finally I wonder how the townspeople knew about the puppeteer if azult is just realizing her abilities. I would say that azult is one of the two witches as proved by the blood witch being unable to smell her but he can sence truth witch blood so either the blood thing is completely unrelated or the azult is meant to be the chosen one with someone else. I know it's probably the first but the second would be sorta cool. not sure how I feel about it as a whole so far keep you guys posted

message 25: by Jade aka MrsTosh (new)

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) | 981 comments I have been away at a wedding this weekend so haven't managed to read much will catch up tonight.

message 26: by Jade aka MrsTosh (new)

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) | 981 comments Well I managed to catch up last night and am up to Chapter 36.

I am still totally confused as to what is happening, I agree with you Kaitie this book has so much potential but for me personally it is just all over the place, I can't get a handle of any of the characters. I keep waiting for something of importance to happen, but it is just a repeat of another battle where Safi and Iseult have to fend off their attackers.

I get the mystery angle and I am sure the book will leave us on a bit of a cliffhanger or explain what we are guessing ready for book two in the series, but I don't think I am particularly bothered. The story is just too all over the place for me, I like more structure.

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 503 comments I have managed to finish it and on the whole I did enjoy it. For me it felt more like despite all the action through, it was essentially just a set up for the series at large. It felt like we spent the whole book essentially waiting for...something...

I will most likely read on the the series but I did feel quite rushed while I was reading this as if I was constantly try to catch up and i still have no clue about the magic system

I will wait for you two to catch up a little before I start spouting some of my theories :-)

message 28: by Carter (new)

Carter Castelli | 75 comments almost done. sorta feel like the plot is on repeat they screw up they run they get cought they get separated they screw up again just to get back to one another then they run again over and over. I feel like there's no overarching plot. also I feel like there's a lack of development in the relationship between thread siblings like it might not be as annoying when they screw up everything to get back to one another if I could see a deeper relationship between them but as of now I feel like it's more a life debt than anything else and it makes it all seem kinda worthless

message 29: by Jade aka MrsTosh (new)

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) | 981 comments I have finished the book, still totally confused. There are just way too many names, towns and types of magics to remember. I found the book very repetitive also Kaitie, the same thing kept happening over and over again. Where in the beginning I admired Safi's spunk but the end of the book she was irritatingly predictable. I doubt I will continue with the series.

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 503 comments I think i made sense of most of it so by the end I was quite enjoying it however i thought the way the queen of martok(i?) was thrown in there in the end extremely out of the blue and confusing.

Also i still don't really understand why having a truth witch is so treasured ?

I probably will continue on with the series though it won't be high on my list of must reads :-P

message 31: by Carter (new)

Carter Castelli | 75 comments dont think I will pick up the next book either she dosnt define their magics at all and then throws in random new abilities that witches have when it's convenient like a little kid who tells you the rules to their game as you go and changes the rules so they can win