The Challenge Factory discussion

The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about The Kiss of Deception
2016 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > Nikk & Beth - The Kiss of Deception

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - added it

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5900 comments Mod
Nikk & Beth - The Kiss of Deception

Beth Garner | 28 comments When are you wanting to start the book?

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 503 comments I have a couple of books i need to read for a challenge this week and I have a few more buddy reads going on this month but how boutI would be keen to start around the 9th or 10th or maybe even the 12th?

Beth Garner | 28 comments that sounds good. I have another book I'm starting on the 15th so that works good for me.

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 503 comments heya,

So I am just finishing off my last buddy read and should be done in the next couple of days so are you keen to start this on the 11th.

Also this is only the first month I have really done any buddy reading and this is quite a big book (489 pages, 72 chapters) so how did you want to do this ?

did you want to try 10 chapters per day and chat as we go or more less. I am pretty easy going in how we read this

Beth Garner | 28 comments this is my first buddy read so however you want to do it is fine. I have it on Audible so I just need to pay attention to chapters.

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 503 comments Hiya! So I started last night and I am on chapter 2. I am work at the moment but will read some ore during my lunch break. How are you going with it?

Beth Garner | 28 comments Nikk wrote: "Hiya! So I started last night and I am on chapter 2. I am work at the moment but will read some ore during my lunch break. How are you going with it?"

I have read the first 10 chapters. I'm enjoying it. I'm in Central time USA and work until 4:30 my time. Where are you?

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 503 comments I am sydney Australia and work from 9am - 5pm my time but I am online for a lot of that and jump on Goodreads where I can hoever sneakily :-P

I am up to chapter 13 so far and I keep getting the prince and the assassin mixed up.

I had a little trouble getting back to it before but i am enjoying it so far as once I do finally start reading i find I am getting through it reasonably quickly

i find Lia a little too perfect though not so much in skills but in personality and attitude and the way she just happens to take to regular lifeso easily after growing up as a royal. Its almost like she has too good a head on her shoulders if that makes sense.

I am sensing love triangle though which has me wary though that being said i am interested to see where it will lead so i may read a couple more chapters before I head to bed :-)

message 11: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth Garner | 28 comments I keep getting the prince and the assassin mixed up also.

My main issue with Lia is her wanting to marry for love. As a royal, especially in "olden" times, marriages were always for some advantage; so it really bothers me about her attitude. I know, I know, it's fiction.

I was wondering if both men thought that Pauline was the princess when they first entered the pub as she was the more timid one.

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 503 comments I must admit I was wondering if perhaps the assassin would, mix them up and perhaps assassinate Pauline by mistake. I am up to chapter 16 now and (view spoiler)

message 13: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth Garner | 28 comments I've read through 21. One thing that crossed my mind, what did the Prince originally intend to do if he wasn't going to talk to Lia? It was never clear when he left his friends. Then when he got to the pub, he was going to out her, more because she led him on a merry chase than anything else. Walther's arrival was interesting, especially with both boys thinking what they did.

I'm on my phone so don't know how to do spoilers.

The book was a little slow starting but I'm getting into it now. I haven't read any of her other books but definitely will now.

message 14: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth Garner | 28 comments I just finished chapter 34. There were several interesting events that occurred. Both guys are definitely smitten with Lia . my electric just went out severe storms in the area

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 503 comments I read up to 28 last night but I haven't been well so had an early night. I am finding it a quicker read now but I get the feeling Lia's lie about Mikhael is going to come back to haunt her before the end of the book.

Considering how many people have found her already, it does surprise me that she hasn't been discovered and taken back as yet

I do like having the little points of view from Kaden and rafe , it definitely adds an element to the story I think. I will be reading some more tonight

message 16: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth Garner | 28 comments I agree with you on Kaden and Rafe's points of views, it gives more depth to the story and for me makes it more interesting. I do hope you get to feeling better.

There are several instances where the "deception" will come back to bite someone; Lia's lie about Mikhael in addition to who she really is, Rafe and Kaden's lies about who they are, and I think Gwen has a couple of her own secrets that may come into play later.

message 17: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth Garner | 28 comments I hope you are feeling better. I am up to 43. Lia is coming to her senses about her duty, but it's probably too little too late. Even though she has picked one to like better, I get the feeling she is ambivalent and it wouldn't take much to sway her the other way.

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 503 comments Its definitely gotten better and quicker to read as I am on Chapter 58 now and may even come close to finishing it tonight ...or not as I just realised I have to go to bed in 10 mins.

Still sick unfortunately which is not great.

I like that Lia has finally realised that her duty is to her country and i am finding the trek to Venda kind of interesting. I think the vendan book may actually be an account of Morrighan's trip with the remnant and perhaps there is something in there that directly contradicts some important tradition or religious observance which is why it was being hidden in the first place and why the scholar is willing to kill Lia to get it back.

I hated what happened to Walther's wife and child

I also like that we are finally learning a little more about the world outside of Morrighan

message 19: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth Garner | 28 comments One of my burning questions in this part of the book, is where did Kaden originate? From his thoughts, he is most probably from Morrighan, but how did he end up with the "barbarians"?

I can't believe Pauline made the stupid decision she did, that just threw me.

I have finished it. I need to wait 2 weeks until I can get the second book.

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 503 comments heya,

Just seeing if you wanted to buddy read book 2 during August?

message 21: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth Garner | 28 comments Yes, most definately!

message 22: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth Garner | 28 comments I got "Heart of Betrayal" today. When do you want to start it?

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 503 comments I have been sick all weekend (just cannot get rid of this virus and cough) so my reading has backed up a little so are you okay with starting next weekend?

message 24: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth Garner | 28 comments That sounds good.

message 25: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth Garner | 28 comments Have you been able to start yet?