The Lost Challenges discussion

Archives - Monthly Challenges > July Scattegories

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Penni (new)

Penni | 1287 comments Mod

The general rules of Scattergories are you are given a list of categories and a time limit. Then the letter dice is rolled and you have to come up with something that matches your letter and the category.

This “Challenge” works in conjunction with the other challenges you may participate in this month. You may use a book to fulfill multiple items (you don't have to read 12 books this month...don't worry!) While you are fulfilling the requirements of your other challenges, be on the lookout for the following items (they may be on the cover or mentioned in the book):

The Challenge: I will post a list of 12 categories, 6 general relating to any book, and 6 specific to that month. On the last day of the month before, I will post the letter of the month. You can start reading on the 1st. The goal is to get as many points as possible by the end of the month.

July 1st ~ July 31st

Items:
General
1. Book Title:
2. Author:
3. Main Character:
4. Secondary Character:
5. Place:
6. Cover:

July Specials

July is the 7th month of the Gregorian Calendar. It is on average the warmest month in most of the Northern hemisphere (where it is the second month of summer) and, the opposite, or the coldest month in much of the Southern hemisphere (where it is the second month of winter). It is National Ice Cream Month . Shark Week is July 5-12. Will it be safe to go into the water? International Free Hugs Day is celebrated on the second of July. Several countries celebrate National Tree Day in July. Also, many countries celebrate their Independence day in July, with flags flying.

7. Ice Cream
8. Body of Water (lake, river, ocean, sea, etc.)
9. Hug
10. Tree
11. Opposite
12. Flag

message 2: by Penni (last edited Jun 29, 2016 11:40PM) (new)

The Letter of the Month Is

message 3: by Cheryl (last edited Jul 29, 2016 01:51PM) (new)

Cheryl La Pa (cheryllp) | 120 comments July 1st ~ July 31st

Letter: N

Completed 12/12
Books Read: 6

Items:
General
1. Book Title: November 9 9 July (1 pt)
2. Author: The Queen of Swords by Nina Mason 18 July (1 pt)
3. Main Character: Nevada Baylor - Burn for Me 29 July (1 pt)
4. Secondary Character: Nick Parker - The Curse of Tenth Grave 4 July (1 pt)
5. Place: New Mexico - The Curse of Tenth Grave 4 July (1 Pt)
6. Cover: Nine November 9 9 July (1 pt) November 9 by Colleen Hoover

Specials
7. Ice Cream - Another One Bites the Dust 16 July
And not for ice cream. Pg 69 (1 pt)
8. Body of Water (lake, river, ocean, sea, etc.) - Torn 24 July
...looking for a possible opening and not finding one as the scent of the nearby river grew stronger. Pg 156 (2 pts)
9. Hug - November 9 9 July
I’ve never seen anyone more in need of a hug than she is right now. Pg 86 (3 pts)
10. Tree - The Curse of Tenth Grave 4 July
… suppressing a giggle when Reyes spotted the little beast coming in for a landing near his rubber tree plant. (1 pt) pg 15
11. Opposite - November 9 9 July
I’m moving to the opposite end of the country, so it’s not like whatever happens in the next few hours will impact my life one way or another. Pg 41 (2 pts)
12. Flag - Burn for Me 29 July
So last night I looked into Gustave’s Custom Cycles, and when a couple of red flags went up, I asked Bern to help. Pg 58 (1 pt)

The Curse of Tenth Grave (Charley Davidson, #10) by Darynda Jones November 9 by Colleen Hoover Another One Bites the Dust (Jaz Parks, #2) by Jennifer Rardin The Queen of Swords by Nina Mason Torn (A Wicked Saga, #2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1) by Ilona Andrews

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) | 706 comments Of Course I'm in :)

message 5: by Jade aka MrsTosh (last edited Jul 07, 2016 02:09AM) (new)

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) | 706 comments July Scattegories
Completed: 10/12
Books Read: 1

General

1. Book Title: Nuts by Alice Clayton
2. Author: Nora Roberts
3. Main Character: Natalie Nuts
4. Secondary Character: Nanny Nuts
5. Place: New York Nuts
6. Cover: Nut ~ Nuts

July Specials

7. Ice Cream ~ Polly bumped his fist. “Just hanging out with Roxie. Daddy, I also need an ice cream soda, splat.” Loc 461 (1 point)
8. Body of Water (lake, river, ocean, sea, etc.) ~ I took the Metro North train out of Grand Central, and was blown away at not only how beautiful a rail line it is but how quickly you can go from being in the most exciting city on earth to the perfect quiet stillness of sleepy river towns Loc 13 (2 points)
9. Hug ~ Chad nodded, pulling me against him in a quick hug. Loc 304 (1 point)
10. Tree ~ “Your walnut trees.” He nudged me forward on the path, his hand moving from my hip to the small of my back. Loc 175 (1 point)
11. Opposite ~ I very deliberately slipped my heels across his shoulders, maintaining an air not so much of nonchalance but of . . . whatever was the opposite of nonchalance Loc 273 (2 points)
12. Flag

Nuts (Hudson Valley, #1) by Alice Clayton The Next Always (Inn BoonsBoro, #1) by Nora Roberts

message 6: by Joann (last edited Jul 21, 2016 11:38AM) (new)

Joann | 1296 comments Letter of the Month: N
Progress: 12 /12 categories 17 points

Items:
General
1. Book Title: Never a Mistress, No Longer a Maid [2 pt]
2. Author: Nancy Thayer - Summer House [1 pt]
3. Main Character: Nell Paris for One [1 pt]
4. Secondary Character: Nona Summer House [1 pt]
5. Place: Nantucket Summer House [1 pt]
6. Cover: Novels The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield [1 pt]

July Specials

7. Ice CreamAfter You- p.157 “...left a tub of ICE CREAM to melt….Night out without asking.” [1 pt]
8. Body of Water (lake, river, ocean, sea, etc.) Never a Mistress, No Longer a Maid p.2 “..the Nicest sound he ever heard, a Nearby RIVER.” [2 pt]
9. Hug Summer House p.332 "..pulled her Next to him in a brotherly HUG." [1 pt]
10. Tree Diamonds In The Sky loc 2876 “No palm TREES, Nothing green…” [2 pt]
11. Opposite Diamonds In The Sky loc 2174 “Noisy people in the opposite booth...Not happy about it.” [2 pt]
12. Flag Recipe for Disaster p.274 “It Never occurred to me...raised a red FLAG, and Now…” [2 pt]

message 7: by Jonquil (last edited Jul 21, 2016 07:20AM) (new)

Jonquil July 1st ~ July 31st
N

0/12

1. Book Title: No Place to Run 7/5
2. Author:
3. Main Character:
4. Secondary Character: Nicki Thoms Mona Lisa Eyes 7/1
5. Place: New York, New York Magic and Macaroons 7/11
6. Cover: Novels, nose (not a lot on n-stuff on my books' covers)
Murder, Plainly Read (Amish Quilt Shop Mystery #4) by Isabella Alan

7. Ice Cream "it's not the ice cream" pg 106 Goddess Boot Camp 7/3
8. Body of Water "near the Chicago River" pg 185 Breakdown 7/4
9. Hug "slinky nightgown hugged her curves" Into the Fury 7/1
10. Tree "tree in the neighbor's yard" pg 143 Magic and Macaroons 7/11
11. Opposite "real number negatives or opposites--numbers on opposite sides" pg 124 The Princess Diaries
12. Flag "Napier's American flag" pg 189 7/10Breakdown 7/4

message 8: by Penni (new)

Welcome Cheryl, Jade, Joann, Jonquil, and Megan!

message 9: by JoAnne (last edited Jul 28, 2016 04:34PM) (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 1163 comments July 1st ~ July 31st
Read 12/12 categories Read 9 books 20 points DONE!

Items:
General Read 6/6 categories 9 points

1. Book Title: No Breaking My Heart
No Breaking My Heart (Barefoot William, #5) by Kate Angell No Breaking My Heart (Barefoot William #5) by Kate Angell 7/11/16 5stars

2. Author: Nancy Thayer
The Island House A Novel by Nancy Thayer The Island House: A Novel by Nancy Thayer 7/19/16 4stars

3. Main Character: Nicolette (Nic) 1point
Sweetest Kisses by Anna Alexander Sweetest Kisses (Men of the Sprawling A Ranch Book 4) by Anna Alexander 7/9/16 4stars

4. Secondary Character: Nancy and Neil (2 points)
Knit to Be Tied (A Knitting Mystery, #14) by Maggie Sefton Knit to Be Tied (A Knitting Mystery #14) by Maggie Sefton 7/4/16 4stars

5. Place: Las Vegas, Nevada
Hot On His Heels (What Happens In Vegas, #16) by Margo Bond Collins Hot on His Heels (What Happens in Vegas #16) by Margo Bond Collins 7/11/16 3 stars

6. Cover:
Barbara's Redemption by Diane Saxon Barbara's Redemption (Disarmed and Dangerous #2) by Diane Saxon 7/15/16 4.5stars (necklace; noses (2) - 3 points)

Specials Read 6/6 categories 11 points
July is the 7th month of the Gregorian Calendar. It is on average the warmest month in most of the Northern hemisphere (where it is the second month of summer) and, the opposite, or the coldest month in much of the Southern hemisphere (where it is the second month of winter). It is National Ice Cream Month . Shark Week is July 5-12. Will it be safe to go into the water? International Free Hugs Day is celebrated on the second of July. Several countries celebrate National Tree Day in July. Also, many countries celebrate their Independence day in July, with flags flying.

7. Ice Cream
Hannah nudged Grace and whispered that they were going to find Mac and stop at the ice cream parlor on the way home, but she also paused to slip a note into an envelope and leave it on the secretary's desk. paperback page 369; 2 points
A Single Kiss (Sweetest Kisses, #1) by Grace Burrowes A Single Kiss (Sweetest Kisses #1) by Grace Burrowes 7/6/16 5stars

"There's nothing like the sound of a river nearby to lull you to sleep at night." hardcover page 3, 3 points
Purl Up and Die (A Knitting Mystery, #13) by Maggie Sefton Purl Up and Die (Knitting Mystery #13) by Maggie Sefton 7/1/16 4stars

9. Hug
He looked in need of a hug and nap - or something. paperback page 138; 2 points
A Single Kiss (Sweetest Kisses, #1) by Grace Burrowes A Single Kiss (Sweetest Kisses #1) by Grace Burrowes 7/6/16 5stars

10. Tree
Now, Brazen was racing along the top rail of the chain-link fence, nut in his mouth, almost at the low-hanging branch of the huge cottonwood tree. hardcover page 31, 2 points
Purl Up and Die (A Knitting Mystery, #13) by Maggie Sefton Purl Up and Die (Knitting Mystery #13) by Maggie Sefton 7/1/16 4stars

11. Opposite
"Not one word," Trent said, turning Hannah by the arm to head in the opposite direction. paperback page 38, 1 point

12. Flag
Another of Finn sitting in a souped-up classic-looking Chevelle next to a GTO, a pretty girl standing between the cars waving a flag.
Sweet Little Lies (Heartbreaker Bay, #1) by Jill Shalvis Sweet Little Lies (Heartbreaker Bay, #1) by Jill Shalvis 7/28/16 4stars

message 10: by Penni (new)

Hey JoAnn - welcome back

message 11: by Barbara ★ (last edited Jul 17, 2016 03:00PM) (new)

Barbara ★ | 2741 comments Fun. Fun. Fun. I'm in.

Letter = N

13 POINTS

1. Book Title: No Limits - Alison Kent 7/16 (1 POINT)
2. Author: Allegiance of Honor - Nalini Singh 7/3 (1 POINT)
3. Main Character: Nell - Unbound - Angela Knight 7/9 (1 POINT)
4. Secondary Character: Nalah - Menagerie - Rachel Vincent 7/6 (1 POINT)
5. Place: Nevada - Unbound - Angela Knight 7/9 (1 POINT)
6. Cover: Notecard - What Happens in London - Julia Quinn 7/3 (1 POINT)
What Happens in London (Bevelstoke, #2) by Julia Quinn

July Specials
7. Ice Cream - No Limits - Alison Kent 7/16
(then came the NIGHT when the popcorn turned into ice cream), p70 (1 POINT)

8. Body of Water - Allegiance of Honor - Nalini Singh 7/3
(happily NERDY Leila, who loved the sun and the ocean and who was NEVER more contented than when swimming), p28 (2 POINTS)

9. Hug - Allegiance of Honor - Nalini Singh 7/3
(but NOT without hugging Mercy first), p30 (1 POINT)

10. Tree - What Happens in London - Julia Quinn 7/3
(would have run for the trees by NOW), p151 (1 POINT)

11. Opposite - Tempt Me If You Can - Janet Chapman 7/4
(then fixed his gaze on the opposite wall as they read the short, succinct NOTE), p1 (1 POINT)

12. Flag - Tyrant - T.M. Frazier 7/5
(NEXT to the American flag), p68 (1 POINT)

Allegiance of Honor (Psy-Changeling #15) by Nalini Singh Tempt Me If You Can (Sinclair Brothers, #2) by Janet Chapman Tyrant (King, #2) by T.M. Frazier No Limits (Smithson Group SG-5, #10) by Alison Kent Unbound (Time Hunters #2.5, Shifters Unbound #4.5, The Elementals #1.5) by Angela Knight Menagerie (Menagerie, #1) by Rachel Vincent

CHALLENGE COMPLETE

message 12: by Penni (new)

Welcome Barbara!

message 13: by Shelly (new)

Shelly Bretheim (shellybre) July 1st ~ July 31st

Items:
General
1. Book Title:
2. Author:
3. Main Character:
4. Secondary Character:
5. Place:
6. Cover:

Specials
7. Ice Cream
9. Hug
10. Tree
11. Opposite
12. Flag

message 14: by Penni (new)

Welcome Shelly!

message 15: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 1163 comments Penni wrote: "Hey JoAnn - welcome back"

Thanks - looking forward to it

message 16: by Suzanne (last edited Jul 08, 2016 12:32PM) (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 1981 comments The Lost Challenges
July Scattegories
Duration:
7/1/2016 - 7/31/2016

Progress: 7 out of 12

Items:
General

1. Book Title:

2. Author: Nora Roberts; Savor the Moment - ***** - 7/5/2016

3. Main Character:
4. Secondary Character:

5. Place: New York, NY: Cut & Run by Abigail Roux - *** - 7/7/2016

6. Cover:

July Specials

7. Ice Cream:
"'You're never getting ice cream again,' he muttered." Loc 3305
Cut & Run by Abigail Roux - *** - 7/7/2016

8. Body of Water (lake, river, ocean, sea, etc.):
"When Del arrived he spotted her down at the pond, near the sweeping fronds of the willow." Page 256
Nora Roberts; Savor the Moment - ***** - 7/5/2016

9. Hug:
"Do you need a hug?" Loc 3669
Cut & Run by Abigail Roux - *** - 7/7/2016

10. Tree:
"And in this design, it resembles a heart carved into a tree, with your names and the dates piped on." Page 45

11. Opposite:
"In a near mirror image of the posture, Carter Maguire leaned on the opposite counter." Page 31

12. Flag

Savor the Moment (Bride Quartet, #3) by Nora Roberts Cut & Run (Cut & Run, #1) by Abigail Roux

message 17: by Penni (new)

Welcome Suzanne!

message 18: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 1163 comments :} Sharon {; wrote: "Hello everyone. I just wanted to alert everyone that there will be an addition to the rule addition to this challenge beginning August 1. Nothing will be taken away, just something new added, so, y..."

now you've piqued my interest!

message 19: by Joann (new)

Joann | 1296 comments :} Sharon {; wrote: "Hello everyone. I just wanted to alert everyone that there will be an addition to the rule addition to this challenge beginning August 1. Nothing will be taken away, just something new added, so, y..."

I'm excited, when should we expect the post??

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Should be some time in the next couple of days :)

message 21: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 1163 comments Based on new rules does what I posted in #11 work?

message 22: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 1163 comments Completed on post #11

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Well done JoAnne :)

message 24: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 1163 comments Caroline wrote: "Well done JoAnne :)"

Thanks - flag gave me the hardest time.
Looking forward to August's letter!