DFW Planetary Society Book Club discussion

Ancillary Justice > General Discussion *note spoilers!*

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Markie (last edited Jun 29, 2016 08:11PM) (new)

Markie (vegoego) | 90 comments Mod
Hey guys!

Our new pick for the month of July is Ancillary Justice . Has anyone here read it yet? What do you think so far?
Please don't forget to note spoilers once you start getting into the meat of the story!

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark | 87 comments I just downloaded the audio book on my work wifi. Letz do dis!

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 82 comments Mod
Just got started! Pretty interesting so far. Definitely different in tone from last month's pick. I'm going into this with little knowledge except that it's very highly regarded. I'm excited to get into it!

message 4: by Markie (new)

I hit chapter 4 last night on the way home from work. I'm actually listening to the audio book as well as reading in my Kindle this time around.

So, I'm a little confused as to the narration of the book.
(view spoiler)

I'm guessing things will come together a bit more as I read, but I'm having a little bit of a hard time following what's going on.

Very interesting though!

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo Phillips | 8 comments I agree with Markie, I'm having a hard time understanding what's going on here, but I will persevere for a while longer. Something's gotta click soon though, right?

message 6: by Jessica (new)

I've gotten a bit into it, and it does start to come together fairly soon. Either that, or I finally have enough info to become really intrigued.

It has to be difficult to balance the POVs, but it's done in an elegant way. I'm interested to see how the past meets up with the present.

message 7: by Mark (new)

Mark | 87 comments So I'm a bit over halfway through myself. The past/present jumps seem fuzzy, but that could be the audio format working against me. Mixed impressions so far, some things that bothered me in the beginning got better, and the story is taking shape. We'll see :)

message 8: by Jessica (new)

I'm at about the 40% mark. I have the audio whisper sync thing with my kindle, but I've just been reading it. I can see where the audio could make it easy to miss some things. I find myself going back and re-reading some things quite a bit. Usually just tracking pronouns really.

I did have a slow start of it but I'm really enjoying it now. I'm definitely intrigued and am very interested to see how it goes.

message 9: by Markie (new)

I'm at chapter 6, 20% through using mostly audio which isn't like me.
I find that reading this actually makes it more difficult to understand, but listening is helping out.
I'm not feeling this book, to be honest. I'm still lost, the pronoun thing is novel but makes things confusing, and I still don't really get what the core plot of the story is.
I'm gonna finish it, and maybe things will start to come together a bit more, but the fact it's 20% in and I still don't really get or care what's going on makes me wonder how so many people loved it.

But hey, I usually read action/adventure scifi/fantasy stuff, so maybe I'm not the target audience.

message 10: by Jo (new)

Jo Phillips | 8 comments I decided after trying several times to "get into it" that this is not the book for me. I love sci-fi, but sometimes a book of any genre can be confusing and not interesting to me. At first I put myself down a bit by thinking I'm just not smart enough to get it, but with a nursing degree behind me, and understanding scientific principles in medicine and anatomy, I don't think I'm not smart enough. Maybe I'm just not interested enough to spend my time getting a headache trying to understand this read. So, that being said, I'd be interested to hear your ideas and understanding of the story.

message 11: by Mark (new)

Mark | 87 comments I'm at least 60% now and the plot is there now and makes sense (it's even a pretty neat idea), but man was it a wandering incoherent mess in the beginning.
In the very beginning the gender pronoun thing had me rolling my eyes thinking "Oh, it's going to be one of THOSE books.", meaning heavy handed preaching for some trendy "social justice" cause. I can't say at this point that the author ISN'T trying to make some statement about how our society's view of gender being real is somehow wrong (and every other society, in every context and at every time until like 10 minutes ago). But if the author is making that case it at least isn't the only thing happening in the story. It could be, and I'm hoping it is, just an attempt to inject a sense of foreign-ness into the story's universe.
So the pronoun thing (for whatever reason it is there) does make for a more confusing read. Added to that the book just doesn't carry the reader through the story very well. It does get better :)
Getting from 50% to the 60% I'm at now has been my favorite part so far. Some real "oh that's cool!" kind of moments.