Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Barry's June

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3115 comments The Fireman: Joe Hill
Apple not far from the tree again. Earth is infested with people who combust , and normal folk want them dead, they want to survive. Here is that tale of a few of them. (A-)

City of Mirrors: Justin Cronin
So ends the Passage trilogy.We learn the ultimate fate of the virals, and of man, and learn it with a wealth of fine writing, and a humanizing of even the inhuman. (A-)

Slow Burn: Ace Atkins
A Spenser novel, and a stellar example of how Atkins has channeled the Parker spirit while writing a tale that is more complex and every bit as entertaining as anything Parker ever did. Arsonists are at work in Boston, Spenser wants to find them. (A-)

End of Watch; Stephen King
Sometimes am amazed at how a good last page can elevate a book by a grade, but King ended this well, the trilogy was good, and all-in -all, I am very happy with the trilogy. As we saw in the foreshadowing, Brady was developing some amazing powers even as Hodges was fading from illness. This was not an unusual set up for a Stephen King showdown, but I still enjoyed it, the flawed against the evil. (A-)

Foreign Agent: Brad Thor
Super spy thriller. The Russians are trying to suck the US into a ground war with ISIS. (B)

Clawback: JA Jance
An Ali Reynolds novel. As has been her habit recently, this plot comes right from the headlines of today’s papers, with identity theft and hijinx in high finance. (B)

Bone Key: Les Standiford
A builder in South Florida who seems to get involved in quite a bit of trouble. (B)

The Second Life of Nick Mason: Steve Hamilton
Nick Mason is a con, in for murder. A mob boss springs him, the deal is that he now owns Nick. Not the best of circumstance for Nick, but he is out of prison, even if he is now a hit man. (B)

Bradstreet Gate: Robin Kirman
3 Harvard graduates, a murder, and years gone by. Very much like the recent Lippman’s. And maybe a bit chickish for me. (B-)

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3644 comments Barry wrote: "The Fireman: Joe Hill
Apple not far from the tree again. Earth is infested with people who combust , and normal folk want them dead, they want to survive. Here is that tale of a few of them. (A-)

..."

I also really liked SLOW BURN. Atkins has done a stellar job. Was very disappointed with the Hamilton book.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14990 comments Good to see your non-overtime list Barry!
I also enjoyed the King, Hill, Cronin and Hamilton books and agree, both trilogies provided satisfying closure from two excellent authors.

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1653 comments Great reviews Barry! I need to make sure to read Slow Burn and Clawback :)

message 5: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1117 comments Good month I've read several of the same books

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Good month

message 7: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1320 comments Great month Barry, and as always great commentary. I agree totally with your thoughts on the several books we both read this month, Hill, Hamilton and King