Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Issues > Lost ratings and TBRs

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Scott | 24 comments Hey all,
My novel Full Tilt
Is showing two editions I'd like to combine (they are not combinable by me) and earlier today I saw I had 2012 people had it on their TBR and over 70 ratings. Now the ratings are under 70 and the TBR s are 1944 or so. I lost a bunch of ratings and TBRs apparently This has happened before. Not sure why. Thanks for any help. :)

message 2: by Joneen (last edited Jun 29, 2016 05:19PM) (new)

Joneen (belovedjg) | 99 comments Hi Emma,

It sounds like what you are asking for is for these two books to be merged, not combined. Combined books each have their own individual page, but are all visible under "other editions." This helps distinguish between various editions of a book (paperback, hardback, ebook, 2nd/3rd/4th printing, large print, gift edition, etc.) Merged books literally merges two editions into one, and is only done when the two editions are truly identical/duplicates.

These are two separate editions, as one is the Kindle ebook edition, and the other is the Smashwords ebook edition, so they cannot be merged, since they are different.

It sounds like your main concern really is the number of ratings and TBRs. GR always displays the all the ratings and shelvings for all the combined editions of a book, so the numbers you are looking at is the total number for both editions. You can see this more clearly by hovering over or clicking on "Ratings Details" next to the stars on the book page.

When you do so, at the bottom, you'll see the details for "All editions" and "This edition" right below. So the change in your ratings and TBR numbers did not come from there being two editions of your book.

These numbers can change for many reasons - if someone has read the book and marked it as read, it will move from their TBR shelf to their read shelf. Also, though probably less common, a user could remove their rating/review if they so choose.

If it's something you're still concerned about, you could ask about it in the Goodreads Feedback group, but having the two different editions is not affecting the ratings and TBRs for your book.

Hope that was clear enough and helpful! :)

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma Scott | 24 comments Hi Joneen,
The missing TBRs are definitely a problem. It's not that 70 people suddenly moved it to a different shelf. It was literally one minute I had x amount of ratings and reviews and TBRs, and the next, I lost all three. It doesn't make sense that at the exact same time a bunch of readers suddenly deleted their reviews or ratings, or UN-marked the book from their TBR. Not that many all at once. This has happened before too. With a previous listing, I lost 100 ratings and about 40 reviews that I never got back. It always happens at release time which is the most crucial time for these glitches to NOT be occurring. . And now my entire listing is frozen. I'm going to try to refresh stats as sometimes that works, but sometimes it doesn't. I don't mean to dump this on you but last time the librarian had to contact a GR developer or someone to see about restoring my lost ratings and unfreezing my stats.
Thanks for any help you can give.

message 4: by Joneen (new)

Joneen (belovedjg) | 99 comments Hi Emma,

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that, that definitely doesn't sound right. I didn't understand it was all at once. I went ahead and posted about this in the GR Feedback group here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

You might want to go there and post a comment or at least subscribe to the thread, since that's where they will reply. I'm sure a staff member will be able to help you out, unfortunately this isn't something us volunteer librarians are able to tackle.

I wish I could do more, but I'm sure the GR staff will do everything in their power to get this resolved for you!

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma Scott | 24 comments Thank you! I wasn't aware of the feedback group. I'll def join. I appreciate your help so much! ❤️

message 6: by Joneen (new)

Joneen (belovedjg) | 99 comments No problem, glad to do what I can! :))

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 849 comments it may not be that the changes happened all at once, but rather were caught up in caching, which can take 24-48 hours and when you refreshed stats it caused everything to get updated

message 8: by Emma (new)

Emma Scott | 24 comments I don't think that's the case. My listing is frozen. No new activity despite the fact it has been growing steady all day. And this has happened before. Always at release time, always when I need it to NOT look dead. I lose large amounts of ratings and reviews. I've never heard is people simultaneously deleting either one in bulk. The book was released yesterday. Sorry, it's just extremely frustrating.

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45034 comments Mod
This is not something librarians can assist you with. You may wish to use the Contact Us link on the Help page. Closing thread.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.