Swimming Mermalions discussion

Archive - Event 4: Fight Club > Volunteers for Coaches

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 30, 2016 07:39AM) (new)

Coaches must read a book that features: Wrestling, Boxing and/or MMA in any format (professional, underground, cages fights, ect....)

If the style of fight within the book is Wrestling, Boxing, or MMA (including any disciplines listed here) it is accepted. Any other disciplines are not. Fight must be pivotal to story (the MC must be a fighter, go regularly to see fights, ect). If one random fight happens in the story, it does not count.

These books must be supplemental to the challenge. They can't be used for any of the other events.

Fight Club Rounds:

Round 1: 1 hour sprint
Round 2: 2 hour sprint
Round 3: 3 hour sprint
Round 4: 4 hour sprint
Round 5: 5 hour sprint
Round 6: 6 hour sprint

Please let us know if you would like to volunteer to be a coach and what round or rounds you would be willing to take part in. Volunteering for several rounds does not mean that you will be chosen to compete in them all. It just gives us a good idea of how popular rounds are and whether there will be any issues getting a round completed.

message 2: by Elinaly (last edited Jul 02, 2016 02:34PM) (new)

Elinaly I'll voluteer for coaching (I would suck at fighting - would be knocked out after first punch, lol)

message 3: by Filipa (new)

Filipa I have a couple of books that would work for this. There's no sprinting involved in coaching, right?

message 4: by Chava (new)

Chava I'd prefer coaching over fighting. I just don't know if I'd be able to read that many books quickly

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 03, 2016 11:57AM) (new)

I think that the only book I have that would work for this, funnily enough, is Fight Club.

message 6: by Imke (last edited Jul 08, 2016 05:27AM) (new)

Imke (immie75) I have a few fighter books. I can read:

Real (Real, #1) by Katy Evans Real
Mine (Real, #2) by Katy Evans Mine
Remy (Real, #3) by Katy Evans Remy

message 7: by Elinaly (new)

Elinaly Is biography also ok?
I would read Undisputed Truth by Mike Tyson

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Elinaly wrote: "Is biography also ok?
I would read Undisputed Truth by Mike Tyson"

Yes, you can read non-fiction

message 9: by Chava (new)

Chava Do we have to read for this event? If not, I'd rather be excused

message 10: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) No you don't have to read for this event. Event 1, 2 and 5 are mandatory.

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen Sabo | 25 comments I can be a coach. I'm collecting some ideas for books right now.

message 12: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) I think we can read 12 books for this. Could you make an overview so we can keep track?

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 17, 2016 03:29AM) (new)

I've finished the 4 hour sprint so we can definitely have coaches for the first 4 rounds:

Round 1 -
Coach 1: Imke Real - completed
Coach 2: Filipa The Suicidal Peanut - completed

Round 2 -
Coach 1: Imke Mine - completed
Coach 2: Lusie Raze - completed

Round 3 -
Coach 1: Filipa Superhero - completed
Coach 2: Lusie Real - completed

Round 4 -
Coach 1:
Coach 2:

Round 5 -
Coach 1:
Coach 2:

message 14: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) I found a book about kong fu that looks interesting, but I don't think it qualifies for this.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Lusie wrote: "I found a book about kong fu that looks interesting, but I don't think it qualifies for this."

What book is it? I can ask.

message 16: by Lusie (last edited Jul 12, 2016 04:19AM) (new)

Lusie (illusie) The Girl with Ghost Eyes (Xian Li-lin, #1) by M.H. Boroson

but kung fu is not listed as one of the listed disciplines.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Lusie wrote: "The Girl with Ghost Eyes (Xian Li-lin, #1) by M.H. Boroson

but kung fu is not listed as one of the listed disciplines."

I've asked. As often is the case the rule is getting blurry. From some of the answers by Karsyn it would seem she is mainly looking for books with quite a bit of hand-to-hand combat (training is acceptable as well as fights) and where it is either referred to as a martial art or where it is obvious it is some sort of martial art. She has ruled out fantasy books set in other worlds as they probably don't have the same names for martial arts that we would use.

message 18: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) That is a shame fantasy is ruled out. Thanks for checking!

message 19: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 12, 2016 05:23AM) (new)

Lusie wrote: "That is a shame fantasy is ruled out. Thanks for checking!"

Fantasy has not been ruled out. I haven't had a response from Karsyn about your book yet.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Lusie wrote: "The Girl with Ghost Eyes (Xian Li-lin, #1) by M.H. Boroson

but kung fu is not listed as one of the listed disciplines."

Karsyn has ok'd the book as long as there is quite a bit of fighting in it.

message 21: by Lusie (last edited Jul 13, 2016 03:49AM) (new)

Lusie (illusie) Pigletto wrote: "Lusie wrote: "The Girl with Ghost Eyes (Xian Li-lin, #1) by M.H. Boroson
Karsyn has ok'd the book as long as there is quite a bit of fighting in it."

Thanks! In one of the reviews they say there is lots of kung fu action.

message 22: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) Is it allowed to read teh same books as team members for the same challenge? I might read the same book as Imke if it is allowed. Real (Real, #1) by Katy Evans sounds like something I might like

message 23: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) Lusie wrote: "Is it allowed to read teh same books as team members for the same challenge? I might read the same book as Imke if it is allowed. Real (Real, #1) by Katy Evans sounds like something I might like"

Yes it is allowed.

message 24: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) Thanks!

message 25: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) I lost track of who is reading for this. How many more books do we need?

I decided to read the first book that imke is reading as well. If I like it, I'll continue reading the series.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Lusie wrote: "I lost track of who is reading for this. How many more books do we need?

I decided to read the first book that imke is reading as well. If I like it, I'll continue reading the series."

The info is in the posts on the first page of our main thread. We only have 3 coach books read plus 1 being read by Elinaly.

message 27: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) Is imke still going to read a 3rd book?

message 28: by Filipa (new)

Filipa I'm reading The Suicidal Peanut by Matthew J. Metzger for this.

message 29: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) Lusie wrote: "Is imke still going to read a 3rd book?"

I'm not sure yet, it depends on how fast I finish the books for event 1. I am currently reading ruby red and I am halfway through. Then I need to finish black iris that Harry was supposed to read.

message 30: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) Okay Imke, i understand. Good luck with all the books!

I started reading Real

message 31: by Filipa (new)

Filipa I finished my book for this. I'll start Superhero by Eli Easton next, since there are still empty spots.

message 32: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) I finished Real