Sci-Fi Group Book Club discussion

Cyberpunk

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Tor.com published two articles earlier this month which talk about cyberpunk, claiming on the one hand that the new TV series, Mr Robot, has rejuvenated the genre. (If - like me - you haven't seen the series, I'd recommend only reading the first 4 paragraphs of that article in order to avoid any spoilers.)

On the other hand, there's a retrospective look at two cyberpunk novels of the '90s - David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest and Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash. The latter is a lengthier read and would contain some spoilers, but fans of the genre might enjoy these two articles.

Cobwebby Reading Reindeer Remember Ukraine 🇺🇦  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 28 comments Sounds intriguing--appreciate the heads-up!

message 3: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Mallory Heart Reviews wrote: "Sounds intriguing--appreciate the heads-up!"

You're welcome, Mallory! I hope to return to reading some more cyberpunk this summer (especially Gibson or Stephenson).

message 4: by John (new)

John Nutter (terribledevice) | 3 comments Thanks for these links as well. Cyberpunk is also a favorite of mine, so I look forward to checking these out.

message 5: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
John wrote: "Thanks for these links as well. Cyberpunk is also a favorite of mine, so I look forward to checking these out."

You're welcome, John!

message 6: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Zeno wrote: "Jumping in belatedly: just got into this post-cyberpunk collection.

Rewired The Post-Cyberpunk Anthology by James Patrick Kelly

The stories, though not full of twists and turns, do pleasantly surpri..."

Welcome to the goup, Zeno! I've had that book on my TBR shelf for a few years but I haven't got my hands on a copy yet. So many books, so little time to read them! :/ I'm wondering what the term post-cyberpunk is understood to mean by the authors, especially noting your comment about the stories being 'rooted in the cyberpunk tradition'.

message 7: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Ah OK. I get the point about characters in CP being outsiders. So essentially the perspective has changed from that of hackers, criminals and agents to one of ordinary people living in the same world.