The History Book Club discussion

Pacific: The Ocean of the Future
This topic is about Pacific
TECHNOLOGY/PRINT/MEDIA > JULY 2016 - Pacific: Silicon Chips and Surfboards, Coral Reefs and Atom Bombs, Brutal Dictators, Fading Empires, and the Coming Collision of the World's Superpowers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 107 (107 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Teri (teriboop) The book that will be the July 2016 Book of the month is Pacific: Silicon Chips and Surfboards, Coral Reefs and Atom Bombs, Brutal Dictators, Fading Empires, and the Coming Collision of the World's Superpowers by Simon Winchester.

Pacific Silicon Chips and Surfboards, Coral Reefs and Atom Bombs, Brutal Dictators, Fading Empires, and the Coming Collision of the World's Superpowers by Simon Winchester by Simon Winchester Simon Winchester

Synopsis:

One of Library Journal’s 10 Best Books of 2015

Following his acclaimed Atlantic and The Men Who United the States, New York Times bestselling author Simon Winchester offers an enthralling biography of the Pacific Ocean and its role in the modern world, exploring our relationship with this imposing force of nature.

As the Mediterranean shaped the classical world, and the Atlantic connected Europe to the New World, the Pacific Ocean defines our tomorrow. With China on the rise, so, too, are the American cities of the West coast, including Seattle, San Francisco, and the long cluster of towns down the Silicon Valley.

Today, the Pacific is ascendant. Its geological history has long transformed us—tremendous earthquakes, volcanoes, and tsunamis—but its human history, from a Western perspective, is quite young, beginning with Magellan’s sixteenth-century circumnavigation. It is a natural wonder whose most fascinating history is currently being made.

In telling the story of the Pacific, Simon Winchester takes us from the Bering Strait to Cape Horn, the Yangtze River to the Panama Canal, and to the many small islands and archipelagos that lie in between. He observes the fall of a dictator in Manila, visits aboriginals in northern Queensland, and is jailed in Tierra del Fuego, the land at the end of the world. His journey encompasses a trip down the Alaska Highway, a stop at the isolated Pitcairn Islands, a trek across South Korea and a glimpse of its mysterious northern neighbor.

Winchester’s personal experience is vast and his storytelling second to none. And his historical understanding of the region is formidable, making Pacific a paean to this magnificent sea of beauty, myth, and imagination that is transforming our lives.

Teri (teriboop) Praise and Reviews:

“Revealing... delightful... fascinating... highly recommended.” (Janet Napolitano, San Francisco Chronicle)

“Winchester does a virtuoso job. ... A giant Aladdin’s rug, which he then gamely invites his readers to climb aboard.” (New York Times)

“Fascinating, provocative, and at times, mildly terrifying. ... The hallmarks of Winchester’s best work -- a fertile, curious mind, impeccable research and command of complex material -- are on full display here.” (Miami Herald)

“Winchester has a smooth and easy prose style, one that is trustable and clear. ... He excels at guiding the reader with a contagious sense of wonder.” (Boston Globe)

“[Winchester is] a terrific raconteur with a knack for making connections that might have eluded you between events behind the headlines. ... Where Pacific opts to go, it goes with savvy and verve.” (Seattle Times)

“Winchester writes books like someone telling a good yarn around the fireplace... by interweaving history, fascinating trivia, and acute observation.” (New York Times Book Review)

“A series of high-resolution literary snapshots. ... As we’ve come to expect from Winchester, there are plenty of delights. ... Winchester’s passionate research... undergirds this superb analysis of a world wonder.” (Kirkus Reviews (starred review))

“Winchester is a terrific helmsman, both confident and smooth.” (Telegraph (UK))

“Winchester has prodigious gifts as a popular historian and an explainer of faraway events.” (Los Angeles Times)

“Provocative... and lively.” (Wall Street Journal)

“Popular history at its finest.” (Library Journal)

“Winchester’s vigorous prose and tireless dragnetting of interesting lore make this an entertaining read.” (Publishers Weekly)

ONE OF THE WALL STREET JOURNAL’S “BEST BIOGRAPHIES OF 2015” (No Source)

ONE OF KIRKUS REVIEWS’ “BEST BOOKS OF 2015” (No Source)

Teri (teriboop) Remember the following:

Everyone is welcome but make sure to use the Goodreads spoiler function.

If you come to the discussion after folks have finished reading it, please feel free to post your comments as we will always come back to the thread to discuss the book.

The rules

You must follow the rules of the History Book Club and also:

First rule of Book of the Month:
Respect other people's opinions, no matter how controversial you think they may be.

Second rule of Book of the Month:
Always, always Chapter/page mark and spoiler alert your posts if you are discussing parts of the book.

To do these spoilers, follows these easy steps:

Step 1. enclose the word spoiler in forward and back arrows; < >

Step 2. write your spoiler comments in

Step 3. enclose the word /spoiler in arrows as above, BUT NOTE the forward slash in front of the word. You must put that forward slash in.

Your spoiler should appear like this:
(view spoiler)

And please mark your spoiler clearly like this:

State a Chapter and page if you can.
EG: Chapter 24, page 154

Or say Up to Chapter *___ (*insert chapter number) if your comment is more broad and not from a single chapter.

Chapter 1, p. 23
(view spoiler)

If you are raising a question/issue for the group about the book, you don't need to put that in a spoiler, but if you are citing something specific, it might be good to use a spoiler.

By using spoilers, you don't ruin the experience of someone who is reading slower or started later.

Thanks.

Teri (teriboop) You can copy and paste below to get your spoiler right:

<spoiler>Put Text Here</spoiler>

Teri (teriboop) CONTENTS

Prologue: The Lonely Sea and the Sky 1
Author's Note: On Carbon 30

1. The Great Thermonuclear Sea 39
2. Mr. Ibuka's Radio Revolution 83
3. The Ecstasies of Wave Riding 121
4. A Dire and Dangerous Irritation 151
5. Farewell, All My Friends and Foes 189
6. Echoes of Distant Thunder 231
7. How Goes The Lucky Country? 267
8. The Fires in the Deep 305
9. A Fragile and Uncertain Sea 339
10. Of Masters and Commanders 377

Epilogue: The Call of the Running Tide 427

Acknowledgements 445
Note on Sources 451
Bibliography 457
Index 465

message 7: by Teri (last edited Jun 30, 2016 01:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teriboop) FOR THOSE WHO WOULD LIKE A SUGGESTED WEEKLY SYLLABUS

JULY 1ST THROUGH JULY 3RD
Prologue: The Lonely Sea and the Sky 1
Author's Note: On Carbon 30

JULY 4TH THROUGH JULY 10TH
1. The Great Thermonuclear Sea 39
2. Mr. Ibuka's Radio Revolution 83
3. The Ecstasies of Wave Riding 121

JULY 11TH THROUGH JULY 17TH
4. A Dire and Dangerous Irritation 151
5. Farewell, All My Friends and Foes 189
6. Echoes of Distant Thunder 231

JULY 18TH THROUGH JULY 24TH
7. How Goes The Lucky Country? 267
8. The Fires in the Deep 305
9. A Fragile and Uncertain Sea 339

JULY 25TH THROUGH JULY 31ST
10. Of Masters and Commanders 377

Epilogue: The Call of the Running Tide 427

Acknowledgements 445
Note on Sources 451
Bibliography 457
Index 465

Teri (teriboop) Those of you who are going to read Pacific: Silicon Chips and Surfboards, Coral Reefs and Atom Bombs, Brutal Dictators, Fading Empires, and the Coming Collision of the World's Superpowers use the spoiler html because this is a single thread discussion.

1. Read message 4 and that message shows you the rules for the buddy read discussion and how to do the spoiler html.

2. Message 5 actually shows you the spoiler html code. Use it on this thread.

3. Where is the Table of Contents and the reading syllabus? - Message 6 and 7.

Teri (teriboop) All, we do not have to do citations regarding the book or the author being discussed during the book discussion on these discussion threads - nor do we have to cite any personage in the book being discussed while on the discussion threads related to this book.

However if we discuss folks outside the scope of the book or another book is cited which is not the book and author discussed then we do have to do that citation according to our citation rules. That makes it easier to not disrupt the discussion.

message 10: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teriboop) The Pacific Ocean

message 11: by Teri (last edited Jun 30, 2016 09:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teriboop) Introduction and Kick off for our July discussion on Pacific

Welcome to our July discussion on Pacific: Silicon Chips and Surfboards, Coral Reefs and Atom Bombs, Brutal Dictators, Fading Empires, and the Coming Collision of the World's Superpowers. This should be a very informative read that will take us on a journey through the Pacific Ocean and its geological history.

Please introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in this book.

Have you every been to the Pacific Ocean? Been to the coast of California, Alaska, Hawaii, or other island in the Pacific? There are so many other places to visit that touch this vast ocean.

Have you considered the affects of atomic testing and the environment?

I am looking forward to exploring this topic with you all.

message 12: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teriboop) Chapter Overviews and Summaries
Week One

(view spoiler)

message 13: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teriboop) Week One Discussion Questions – Prologue – pages 1 – 29

(view spoiler)

message 14: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teriboop) Island Hopping on United/Continental 154

United 154 lifts off Runway 6 at Kwajalein.

message 15: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teriboop) Week One Discussion Questions – Author's Note: On Carbon – pages 30 – 38

(view spoiler)

message 16: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Week Two

(view spoiler)

message 17: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teriboop) Week Two Discussion Questions - Your Environment

Happy Fourth of July for all of the USA members out there.

Pacific is a book of short stories that involve history and events that all have some connection to the Pacific Ocean. These are stories that tell how the Pacific has either shaped the events or the events have shaped the Pacific.

Questions:

1. Are there any historical events or trends that has changed the environment around you?

2. Has your environment had an impact on any particular events, industries, etc.?

If nothing in particular comes to mind, can you think of a historical event that has had an impact on the local environment and people that live there?

Note: If your answer discusses anything in the book, be sure to use the spoiler tags in your post

I live just a few hours from Galveston, TX. In 1900, a devastating hurricane basically leveled the town. Today, coming and going to Galveston, you see hurricane evacuation routes designated for residents to leave the area in the event of a hurricane. The city has a preparedness plan and communications set up for emergencies and many homes along the coast are built off the ground in the case of flooding. The 1900 hurricane and others like it has certainly shaped the way residents live along the coast.

Galveston, Texas in 1900

message 18: by Steve (last edited Jul 04, 2016 02:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Steve Haywood Hi I'm Steve, I'm new to the group and so this is my first book of the month discussion. The Pacific is an area of the world I don't know much about, and I'm keen to learn more. I've also just read Full Circle by Michael Palin by Michael Palin , a travel book about circumnavigating the Pacific rim, which has whetted my appetite for the region.

I've read several of Simon Winchester's previous books, and I think he's a really good author with a knack for picking great stories, so excited to read this one. (I say read, I'm actually listening to the audiobook, narrated by the author himself.) I look forward to discussing the book with everyone.

message 19: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teriboop) Hi Steve! Glad to have you join us. We are a very casual group here and have a great time each month with the read. I think Pacific will be another great read. I try to post questions everyday to move the discussion along, but feel free to post your own thoughts or questions as well. Just be sure to use the spoiler tags (see message 5 above) when discussing anything specific to the book.

Great job on the citation. You can use the book title in your note and place the book citation at the bottom if you like. Also, add the author's name next to the picture, other than that, you did a great job.

Your citation would be like this:

Full Circle by Michael Palin by Michael Palin Michael Palin

message 20: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teriboop) Week Two Discussion Questions - Chapter One - pages 39 - 60

(view spoiler)

message 21: by Donna (last edited Jul 06, 2016 08:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Donna (drspoon) Hello all,
I have just received the book from the library so I'm about a week behind in the discussion, having finished the Prologue and Author's Note.

Currently, I'm reading The Professor and the Madman and listening to The Men Who United the States (a delightful recording in the author's voice). I'm enjoying both books, which piqued my interest in this month's selection, Pacific.

I've never seen the Pacific Ocean in person. As a Pennsylvanian, I've not gotten further west than Las Vegas in my U.S. travels.

After having read the prologue (view spoiler)

The Professor and the Madman A Tale of Murder, Insanity and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary by Simon Winchester , The Men Who United the States America's Explorers, Inventors, Eccentrics and Mavericks, and the Creation of One Nation, Indivisible by Simon Winchester by Simon Winchester Simon Winchester

message 22: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teriboop) Hi Donna ~

Great to have you in this discussion. Hopefully we can bring the Pacific Coast to you! You are right on time with the book reading. You have plenty of time to get the first few chapters read. ;-)

Response to Donna - Book Structure

(view spoiler)

message 23: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teriboop) Week Two Discussion Questions - Chapter One - pages 61 - 82

(view spoiler)

message 24: by Teri (last edited Jul 06, 2016 10:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teriboop) Fast Facts about the Pacific Ocean

Marshall Islands, Micronesia

Depth: 14,000 feet, or 4,280 meters (mean)

Deepest Point: Mariana Trench, which reaches a depth of 35,760 feet, or 10,911 meters

Temperature: Varies between 29.5F (-1.4C) in poleward areas and 86F (30C) near to the equator

Discovered: 16th Century

Discovered by: Vasco de Balboa

Area: 63.8 million square miles, or 165.25 million square kilometers

Covers: 46% of Earth’s water surface and a third of Earth’s total surface area

Name Origins: “Mar Pacifico” in 1521 which is Portuguese for “Peaceful Sea”

Divisions: Divided by the equator into the North and South Pacific

Boundaries: Asia, Australia, the Americas
(Source: Pacific Ocean Facts)

More:
The Last Great Sea Voyage Through the Human and Natural History of the North Pacific Ocean by Terry Glavin by Terry Glavin (no photo)

Donna (drspoon) Chapter One - pages 39 - 60

(view spoiler)

message 26: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teriboop) Donna wrote: "Chapter One - pages 39 - 60"

Donna - Truman and his decision on the a-bomb

(view spoiler)

message 27: by Donna (last edited Jul 07, 2016 05:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Donna (drspoon) Teri wrote: "Donna wrote: "Chapter One - pages 39 - 60"

Donna - Truman and his decision on the a-bomb

My understanding is that he believed that he was saving lives of Americans with this decision. He felt it ..."

(view spoiler)

message 28: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teriboop) Week Two Discussion Questions - Chapter Two - pages 83 - 101

(view spoiler)

Steve Haywood Week Two Discussion Questions - Chapter One - pages 61 - 82

(view spoiler)

message 30: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teriboop) Steve wrote: "Week Two Discussion Questions - Chapter One - pages 61 - 82 "

Steve - Bikini Atoll - Bikini Islanders

(view spoiler)

message 31: by Helga (last edited Jul 08, 2016 06:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Helga Cohen (hcohen) | 591 comments This is a good book. I like how the author is discussing the Pacific ocean and all that happened with each chapter a different topic.

(view spoiler)

message 32: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teriboop) Helga wrote: "This is a good book. I like how the author is discussing the Pacific ocean and all that happened with each chapter a different topic. "

Hi Helga! Glad to have you with us this month.

Radioactive elements - half life

(view spoiler)

message 33: by Helga (last edited Jul 08, 2016 10:07AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Helga Cohen (hcohen) | 591 comments Teri wrote: "Helga wrote: "This is a good book. I like how the author is discussing the Pacific ocean and all that happened with each chapter a different topic. "

Hi Helga! Glad to have you with us this month...."

Teri, thanks for leading us again.
(view spoiler)

message 34: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teriboop) Helga wrote: "Teri wrote: "Helga wrote: "This is a good book. I like how the author is discussing the Pacific ocean and all that happened with each chapter a different topic. "

Helga - Nuclear Reactors

(view spoiler)

message 35: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teriboop) I think I got distracted and never posted yesterday's questions so today is a "two-fer"...

Week Two Discussion Questions - Chapter Two - pages 102 - 120

(view spoiler)

message 36: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teriboop) Week Two Discussion Questions - Chapter Three - pages 121 - 135

(view spoiler)

message 37: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teriboop) Surfer Films

Wikipedia has a great list of surf movies, from documentaries, beach party movies, and narrated films.

Check them out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surf_film

message 38: by Donna (last edited Jul 10, 2016 05:48AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Donna (drspoon) Teri wrote: "I think I got distracted and never posted yesterday's questions so today is a "two-fer"...

Week Two Discussion Questions - Chapter Two - pages 102 - 120

(view spoiler)

Steve Haywood Week Two Discussion Questions - Chapter One - pages 61 - 82
(view spoiler)

Week Two Discussion Questions - Chapter Two - pages 83 - 101

(view spoiler)

message 40: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teriboop) Donna wrote: "Teri wrote: "I think I got distracted and never posted yesterday's questions so today is a "two-fer"...

Week Two Discussion Questions - Chapter Two - pages 102 - 120."

Donna - Chapter 2 - Sony

(view spoiler)

message 41: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teriboop) Steve wrote: "Week Two Discussion Questions - Chapter One - pages 61 - 82"

Steve - Chapters 1 and 2 - WMDs and Sony

(view spoiler)

message 42: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teriboop) Week Two Discussion Questions - Chapter Three - pages 136 - 150

(view spoiler)

message 43: by Donna (last edited Jul 10, 2016 10:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Donna (drspoon) Chapter 2 - Sony

I will need to get to that book, Teri. I have read before that (view spoiler)

message 44: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teriboop) Donna wrote: " Chapter 2 - Sony."

Donna - A-bomb fallout

(view spoiler)

message 45: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Week Three

(view spoiler)

message 46: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teriboop) Week Three Discussion Questions - Your Environment Part II

Last week I posed some questions about your environment and what trends may affect the area you live in. Whether it be economic, historical, or industrial. This week the book focuses on political and weather related issues that affect the Pacific.

1. Do you have any memories of Vietnam or Korea? Do you remember the division of each country? If not, have your parents, elders ever discussed this time in history?

2. Are there any weather related events that have shaped your environment? I mentioned the Galveston Hurricane of 1900 last week. What weather trends are you seeing today and have they changed drastically over the years or do you see patterns?

Note: If your answer discusses anything in the book, be sure to use the spoiler tags in your post

Illustration of El Niño and La Niña circulation patterns

message 47: by Donna (last edited Jul 11, 2016 11:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Donna (drspoon) Week Three Discussion Questions - Your Environment Part II

While in Soutwestern PA we get thunderstorms in the summer and heavy snow at times in the winter, it is an area that generally has a very low index for weather related disasters. In rare instances the thunderstorms can produce limited tornadoes and/or wind bursts that do some damage.

One of the most traumatic events that occurred in my area was the Johnstown Flood in 1889, which was a result of heavy rains and an inadequately maintained dam above the town. This event is described in the link below as well as in the eponymous book by David McCullough. I live about an hour's drive from Johnstown but have not yet visited the museum there commemorating the flood that killed 2,000 people.

http://history1800s.about.com/od/theg...

The Johnstown Flood by David McCullough by David McCullough David McCullough

message 48: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teriboop) I have that book on my TBR list. I love McCullough's work.

I know that climate change is very controversial. I tend to think that we are in a new climate phase and that the changes are partly due to our change in environment, but that our weather would have changed in some way, anyway. What are your thoughts on climate change? Do you think that humans have played a part or that we're just experiencing weather changes?

It is interesting that you brought up the 1889 flood. Going back to the Galveston hurricane in 1900, I noticed this weekend that it was the deadliest hurricane in Texas history. My husband and I were in Corpus Christi visiting the Science and History Museum and they had an exhibit that showed the destruction and deaths of the major hurricanes sine 1900 and it was by far the worse. No other has even come close.

The Johnstown Flood (Paperback) by David McCullough by David McCullough David McCullough

message 49: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teriboop) Week Three Discussion Questions - Chapter Four - 151 – 170

(view spoiler)

message 50: by Donna (last edited Jul 12, 2016 12:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Donna (drspoon) Teri wrote: "I have that book on my TBR list. I love McCullough's work.

I know that climate change is very controversial. I tend to think that we are in a new climate phase and that the changes are partly due ..."

I think that there is science to indicate that the earth is getting warmer due in at least some part to carbon emissions. I was very taken by what I read in The Sixth Extinction about the environment and by what I read in Dark Money about efforts to muddy the waters by some who have a stake in debunking that science.

The Sixth Extinction An Unnatural History by Elizabeth Kolbert by Elizabeth Kolbert Elizabeth Kolbert

Dark Money The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right by Jane Mayer by Jane Mayer by Jane Mayer

« previous 1 3