Children's Books discussion

Book Talk > Harry Potter: 6 yr old Now or Later?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phoenix (last edited Jun 29, 2016 11:04AM) (new)

Phoenix (myphoenix) | 3 comments Harry Potter now or later?
Hi, my daughter is 6 1/2 and knows about 80 sight words so there is no way she could read the Harry Potter books by herself. I'm wondering should I read them aloud to her especially now that there is an illustrated version of the books or should I wait til she is older to read them for herself. I have never read the books. When they came out I was in my early 30s and decided that I'd wait to enjoy them after I have a kid. So I'm not so passionate about the books.
I thought it might be a good idea to read the illustrated books to her now but I worry she will not want to read them by herself when she is older. There are kids in her kinder/1st grade who already know/read Harry Potter books( I think their parents are maybe).

message 2: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 777 comments Mod
I think a choice about whether it's time to read a spacific book with a child should be made on an individual basis, based on whether or not you think it's something she would enjoy, and something she's ready for you to read with her; her comprehension level and interests should both be taken in to consideration.

If she enjoys it enough, she will still want to read the non-illustrated version later. If she doesn't enjoy it enough to want to do so, I fail to see the problem. A lack of enjoyment in reading in general wouldn't be a good thing, but not everybody enjoys the same books, so if she'd rather read something else when she can read more confidently on her own, I fail to see how that's an issue.

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen Garrett | 148 comments My husband is reading Castaways of the Flying Dutchman (the full no pictures version) with our 6 year old. They each take turns reading a page. I don't know how much of the story is getting through, but the time they spend together reading is priceless.

I have children who enjoy the illustrated versions and later read the full version.

Go with your gut on this. Is your daughter interested? Go for it.

message 4: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (myphoenix) | 3 comments Thanks for the suggestions. I actaully haven't had a look at the illustrated version yet but once I take a took at it, I'll make a final decision but I'll wait at least until she is 7 next year,

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina Clarry | 7 comments Hello Phoenix
My children were able to enjoy the first Harry Potter book at this age, but I would honestly leave the sequels which are progressively darker for older children.
I wrote The Great Wizard Wars intentionally as a lighter more humorous fantasy for children to read before Harry Potter. I would happily send you a complimentary copy as a PUB version if you forward your email address.
Reviews on Amazon.co.uk will show the reaction of parents reading this to children as well as slightly older children reading it for themselves.

message 6: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (myphoenix) | 3 comments Thanks for the suggestion. We love humorous books.

message 7: by Christina (new)

Christina Clarry | 7 comments Phoenix wrote: "Thanks for the suggestion. We love humorous books."

Hello Phoenix. I can forward a PUB copy when I have your email address (respecting privacy, otherwise).