A Song of Ice & Fire Fans discussion

Read the books or watch the TV series first?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aamir (new)

Aamir Sattar (aamirsattar) | 6 comments Hi guys!

I've had a quick look and can't seem to find a similar thread! However, if there is one I've missed, please feel free to close this and redirect me to that.

Anyway, so which order is best? Reading the book series first or watch the TV series first?
I've read GoT and watched the first season and frankly (while GoT was well written) neither were that entertaining.

What do I do to get the most enjoyment?

Aamir

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Lavin | 197 comments The Books It's ALWAYS the book! Yet to see anything better on the screen then it was written! Books ALWAYS better.

message 3: by Aamir (new)

Aamir Sattar (aamirsattar) | 6 comments Haha yeah that is normally my way too. But spoilers these days seem to be unavoidable. That's another reason I feel like just going on a GoT binge

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen Azinger | 256 comments Waiting on more books from GRRM? Waiting on next season HBO? While you're waiting, try reading The Silk & Steel Saga, epic fantasy inspired by GoT. The 7 book saga is finished, so no waiting, and the first book, The Steel Queen, is on SALE on Amazon for 99 cents from July 1 to July 6. Start the adventure! www.amazon.com/Steel-Queen-Silk-Saga-...

message 5: by Dana (last edited Jul 04, 2016 10:46AM) (new)

Dana | 71 comments If you watch GoT you will get to see how GRRM thought ASoIaF would end when he sold the show to HBO. 15 more episodes, over two years. If you have stuck with it this long why not?
The books are another thing entirely. WoW is not likely to be out this year given we have heard nothing from GRRM about delivering the manuscript to his publishers yet. Based on what he said last year, it would need to be delivered soon to make it out by the shows season start. They have said they can turn it around much quicker, so they might be able to make a holiday release if he gets it to them soon. And then he takes a much needed break of a couple of years, and starts writing again...Finishes that book in five years. Maybe ASoIaF is finished then, and maybe not...
So, if you like it, watch GoT. It's going to be one possible end of ASoIaF, and you know you will get to see it. Read the books when and if they come. By the time GRRM is finished GoT will be a distant memory.

message 6: by Justin (new)

Justin Bucher | 1 comments I recommend the books. But it is possible to watch the show and still enjoy the books I think.

message 7: by Aamir (new)

Aamir Sattar (aamirsattar) | 6 comments Thanks for the input guys! At the moment I'm reading A Clash of Kings having read GoT and watched Season 1. I now I plan on reading the rest of ASOIAF before watching the TV series. I hope I'm doing right!

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen Azinger | 256 comments So sad that GRRM takes so long to write these books. I feel authors have a duty to finish what they started.

message 9: by Aamir (new)

Aamir Sattar (aamirsattar) | 6 comments I agree Karen. A wait of 5+ years per book is a bit too long to wait

message 10: by Holly (last edited Jul 07, 2016 06:05AM) (new)

Holly (goldikova) As the show progresses, my appreciation for the books becomes greater.

message 11: by Tessa (new)

Tessa Eversole (dearnabby) | 12 comments I watched the show first then read the books. For me it make me appreciate the books more. Also I was able to cope with the changes made to the TV series better for some reason. I guess its harder for me reading the books and having all that in my head and then seeing it happen differently on the TV series. Now its different with the other series Im watching. I read Outlander first then watched. I am having a really hard time enjoying the show because Im comparing it to the books. So IMO I think watching then reading it better. Although I agree no matter in which order the books are always better as usual.

message 12: by Aamir (new)

Aamir Sattar (aamirsattar) | 6 comments Thank you for the input Tessa! I still may change my mind by the end of Clash of Kings, so I appreciate the comment.

message 13: by S (new)

S (siyxx) | 10 comments I've read somewhere that spoilers help enhance the reading/ watching movies experiences. I didn't believe that until my experience with GoT. I mean, I've tried reading the whole thing before the series came out in 2011 but gave everything up after the 4th chapter of the first book lol

Fast forward to now, I watched the show (all 6 seasons of 'em), read the Wikis and catched up with all the "recent events" of the main characters, reread the book again for a second try and I LOVE it. Been wondering why the hell it didn't feel this great the first time around.

Maybe I just hate not knowing anything and plunging into 800 pages, not one but five, books with multi-POVs and what seems to be an endless extreme overwritten chapters. Knowing something beforehand is like a promise to me that there's really something going on and the read is worthwhile and all that.

message 14: by Aamir (new)

Aamir Sattar (aamirsattar) | 6 comments Siya, that is actually a very interesting viewpoint. I also feel it's very daunting launching into such long books and not knowing where the characters end up. I'm definitely going to reconsider after Clash of Kings.