Grimdark Fantasy discussion

The Builders
This topic is about The Builders
Group Reads Discussions > The Builders [Spoilers]

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris, kingtermite (new) - added it

Chris (kingtermite) | 468 comments Mod
May's group read poll winner is The Builders! Spoilers in this thread are OK. Enjoy!

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 89 comments I read it a few months ago so I'm out but it was a fun book. The use stereotypes is hilarious.

pisang - Florian | 66 comments Me to. Really loved the western style setting. You see each animal as some kind of stereotype and sometimes you forget theu are animals

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 77 comments I also read it a few months back - very funny!

Heather (bruyere) That's funny....my private group is doing the same book.

Silvana (silvaubrey) Loved this! Too bad it is so short but I guess it is one of its charms.

Did you guys imagine Seven Samurai or the Magnificent Seven when reading this? I know I did.

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 3 comments Silvana wrote: "Did you guys imagine Seven Samurai or the Magnificent Seven when reading this? I know I did."

Most definitely!

Silvana (silvaubrey) what do you think about the double traitors? I actually preferred if Gertrude stayed one and not double(triple?)cross Mephetic.

message 9: by Chompa, Founding Father (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chompa | 477 comments Mod
I read this when I finished the Low Town series. I admire that Polansky can mix genres so well. In Low Town it was a sword and sorcery setting with a hard-boiled detective/noir feel.

The Builders is a classic movie western setting with adorable animals murdering each other. It very much works as a short story.

El Mikoe That was a short but fun read! I actually liked it more then his Low Town series, probably because my expectations where a lot higher, and I just dont like detectives I guess.
In the beginning of the book I was really thinking what is the use of characters being animals? But the stereotyping really worked (plus I learned some stuff about animals, I thought Stoats where sweat.....). The western setting is starting to grow on me, while I hate it in most movies in books it's pretty cool (e.g. Red County)!

My only real complaint is what Silvana already said, the double cross from Gertrude was a bit too perfect for me.

Heather (bruyere) I just wasn't that excited by the books. I think, for me, the novelty of the animals things wore off pretty quickly. I didn't find it as funny as other people. I also felt that it walked too close to the cliche grim dark line. I believe this is all a "my problem" thing in that it doesn't fit with my preferred plot type.

Silvana (silvaubrey) I totally understand you, Heather. The charm kind of wear off after a few weeks. I was not as enthusiastic as when I just finished it. Let's see if this wins the Hugo.

Btw, pretty quiet here. Just a thought, maybe we should have picked two books for discussion if one is a novella?

Brittany | 552 comments Mod
Silvana wrote: "I totally understand you, Heather. The charm kind of wear off after a few weeks. I was not as enthusiastic as when I just finished it. Let's see if this wins the Hugo.

Btw, pretty quiet here. Just..."

Agreed. Maybe a short novella should be more of a monthly interim between bi-monthly book reads. I am just catching up from the past few months of craziness. I had read The Builders as a short after Low Town just to see what else he could do. I enjoyed it and I've read that he wrote it for fun and I took it as that. Definitely works as a novella and I'm glad he did it that way.