Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

General Group Info > Group Info and Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 408 (408 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Dec 17, 2021 02:55AM) (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
Since I've had a few questions about this group:

I am trying to create a space mostly dedicated to buddy reads. A buddy read is exactly what it sounds like: you find someone (or a small group) to pair up with and you read the book together. This is a great way to set a time goal for yourself and stick to it with motivation from others. It's also a great way to unpack difficult and long novels and series.

How it works: Go to the "Buddy Read Invite" discussion. Propose a book you would like to read. Ask for a discussion thread to be made in the "Mod Please Add this Buddy Read" thread. Enjoy reading together!

Be respectful, don't spam, and mark your spoilers. Three simple rules. If you can't follow them, you may be removed from the group.

A suggestion would be to set up a tentative schedule for your buddy read and leave a comment for every chapter. You can do more, you can do less: your buddy read is in your control!

If you have any suggestions to improve this group, leave your comments here.

Welcome to Fantasy Buddy Reads!

HELPFUL THREADS

Welcome - Introduce Yourself: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Buddy Read Invite: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
To Add a Buddy Read: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FA...

message 2: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Note: this group was primarily created for a Malazan buddy read, so it might be limited at first, but invitations to any book are welcome.

message 3: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
I'm going try to knockout books two and three of the Shadow Campaigns by Aug 9th when the 4th book comes out. I've already read book one the Thousand Names

The Shadow Throne
The Price of Valour
The Guns of Empire

Similarly I'm going to try to knock out the second and third books of the Gentlemen Bastards series having already read The Lies of Locke Lamora before book 4 comes out September 22.

Red Seas Under Red Skies
The Republic of Thieves
The Thorn of Emberlain

Anybody with interest in either?

message 4: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Scott wrote: "I'm going try to knockout books two and three of the Shadow Campaigns by Aug 9th when the 4th book comes out. I've already read book one the Thousand Names"

I made a buddy invite discussion and responded there. :)

message 5: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

So I have made a feature available to non-moderators of the group: any member can add a book to our bookshelf. If you want to add a book that you are buddy-reading with the group, you can just click on "bookshelf" and search for the book you are reading/want to read. Make sure you are reading this book WITH SOMEONE IN THE GROUP. Don't just add any book you are reading on your own.I thought this would be clear, but just so I have it written down to refer back to - I will also add it to the rules.

message 6: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

If you want a discussion on your buddy read to get going and you don't see a folder for the series - don't worry! There might be a folder already made, you can select it when you create the first discussion. Otherwise, you can put it in the "general group info" folder and I will create a new folder and move it for you. The idea of this group is that the members are mostly in charge. You can read whatever you want on a time schedule you want so it only makes sense that you can start up your own discussions. If you don't know how to create a discussion, Scott or I can do it for you.

message 7: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

I updated our group bookshelf. This doesn't mean you have to join in for every read - it is just for people to keep track of buddy reads they want to participate in.

message 8: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Jenna wrote: "I updated our group bookshelf. This doesn't mean you have to join in for every read - it is just for people to keep track of buddy reads they want to participate in."

Thanks for that. It's time consuming adding just the ones I did.

message 9: by Eli (new)

Eli Adelholm (eliadelholm) | 77 comments Jenna wrote: "I updated our group bookshelf. This doesn't mean you have to join in for every read - it is just for people to keep track of buddy reads they want to participate in."

Awesome, Jenna!

message 10: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Scott wrote: "Thanks for that. It's time consuming adding just the ones I did."

Eli wrote: Awesome, Jenna!

No problemo. It's what I'm here for. ;)

message 11: by Eli (new)

Eli Adelholm (eliadelholm) | 77 comments I am loving this group. I am seldom this active in the groups on Goodreads. Often I think they are either too big or too inactive to really warrant my participation. But this is nice and cozy.

message 12: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Jun 26, 2018 09:44PM) (new)

Eli wrote: "I am loving this group. I am seldom this active in the groups on Goodreads. Often I think they are either too big or too inactive to really warrant my participation. But this is nice and cozy."

Awe, you're making my heart warm and my cheeks blush. :3
I also love the small group - there's a lot more personal interaction.

message 13: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

It would be cool if somebody started up or led some of the things Jenna and I aren't reading since we are currently on similar paths. It looks like Riyeria is taking off and hopefully somebody does the pre-HOC Malazan.

message 14: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Jul 07, 2016 02:26AM) (new)

Scott wrote: "It would be cool if somebody started up or led some of the things Jenna and I aren't reading since we are currently on similar paths. It looks like Riyeria is taking off and hopefully somebody does..."

I agree - whatever anyone wants to read, you don't need to wait for me and Scott. There has been a bit of discussion for Riyria and a planned Lies of Locke Lamora read.

message 15: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

I have removed the option of non-moderators adding to the group bookshelf after a few incidents of members adding completely random non-fantasy books that they did not suggest a buddy read for. Besides this, the books only had one or two ratings each which led me to believe it was self-promotion or another sort of spam.

If you would like books to be added to the bookshelf, just create a buddy read thread and say when you are starting the book and most likely it will be added. If not, comment here or in "Buddy Read Invite" and we will definitely add it. Unless you are trying to spam, in which case there is a possibility you will be banned from the group.

message 16: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3586 comments Mod
Just a suggestion, would it possible to have individual trackers in the group under a discussion topic that we could update ourselves showing which buddy reads we intend to participate in? We just edit under our name as we go along. Maybe you all have better memories than I and wouldn't need this. We do this in another group I'm in and it works quite well.

Something similar to the below?

Angela

AUGUST - The Lies of Locke Lamore
SEPTEMBER - The Last Mortal Band
OCTOBER - Gardens of the Moon

message 17: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Angela wrote: "Just a suggestion, would it possible to have individual trackers in the group under a discussion topic that we could update ourselves showing which buddy reads we intend to participate in? We just ..."

Awesome idea! I will set up a folder for this.

message 18: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Thanks Jenna :-).

message 19: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

I have decided to create a self-promotion folder for authors in the group. You can find it at the bottom of the group.

message 20: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

I changed all of the discussion titles called "Proposed Schedule" and made them "Proposed Schedule for..." so if you are subscribed to notifications you know which schedule it is for.

Tracey the Lizard Queen | 117 comments Jenna wrote: "I changed all of the discussion titles called "Proposed Schedule" and made them "Proposed Schedule for..." so if you are subscribed to notifications you know which schedule it is for."

Good idea!

message 22: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Tracey the Lizard Queen wrote: "Jenna wrote: "I changed all of the discussion titles called "Proposed Schedule" and made them "Proposed Schedule for..." so if you are subscribed to notifications you know which schedule it is for...."

I'll be honest, it was Scott's idea ;) but I'd be happy to take the credit :D

message 23: by A.A. (new)

A.A. Frascati Hi moderators! I have a question for you: I am an indie fantasy author and I would love to offer ARC copies of my book and have a buddy read with some members. Would that be appropriate on this group? I don't want to make any assumptions :)

message 24: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

A.A. wrote: "Hi moderators! I have a question for you: I am an indie fantasy author and I would love to offer ARC copies of my book and have a buddy read with some members. Would that be appropriate on this gro..."

That is completely fine as long as you promote your book in this folder first and have some readers on board before creating a buddy read thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

message 25: by A.A. (new)

A.A. Frascati Jenna wrote: "A.A. wrote: "Hi moderators! I have a question for you: I am an indie fantasy author and I would love to offer ARC copies of my book and have a buddy read with some members. Would that be appropriat..."

Wonderful! Thank you Jenna :)

message 26: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Just a mod note to please add books to the shelf when starting a read. I've seen a few not added and have done so but I'm sure I have and will miss them.

message 27: by Michael (new)

Michael Kennedy (teelelen) | 2 comments I joined this group because I am looking for new fantasy books to read, and I am having difficulty finding things that really appeal to me or have what I am looking for. Some of the books and series have reads are:
-The Shannara Books (all of them)
-The Wheel of Time serires
- A Song of Fire and Ice
- The Earth Sea Cycle
- Various Michael Moorcock books
- The Chronicles of Narnia
- The Harry Potter Series
- Necromancer
- The Sword of Truth Series
- Middle Earth Books
- Ender's Game
- Prince of Fools
- Half a King, Half the World and Half a War
- The Dark Elf Trilogy
- The Blade Itself
- Steve Erikson's books
- The Witcher series

I am here looking for some good recommendations on either some high/epic fantasy and swords and sorcery fantasy novels that include other races prominently. The other races don't have to be the traditional ones like elves or dwarfs, but I would like to read something with a lot of world building, magic and epic quests as well. I heard the book The Dwarfs was a good read, but I don't want to waste my time by starting a new book and ending up becoming bored. If any of you have any at all, it would be greatly appreciated!!! I have been disappointed by the books Prince of Fools and Shattered Sea trilogy because they aren't true fantasy novels in my opinion, but simply futuristic post-apocalyptic. I am looking forward to being a part of this group!!!!

message 28: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Michael wrote: "I joined this group because I am looking for new fantasy books to read, and I am having difficulty finding things that really appeal to me or have what I am looking for. Some of the books and serie..."

Some of my favorites that weren't on your list. Welcome to the group.

Beyond Redemption
The Dragon's Path
Theft of Swords
The Way of Kings

message 29: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Dec 19, 2016 05:23PM) (new)

Hi Everyone,

If you have time the Buddy Read Trackers are a great way to see what books some of us are already committed to reading. Plus it gives an idea of books coming up in future months. If you want to start your own Tracker click on the link below.

Buddy Read Tracker

Angela

message 30: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Dec 19, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Welcome to the group Michael.

The below are probably more along the line of quests and epic fantasy.

Robin Hobb The Farseer Trilogy
David Eddings Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad)

Anyone have some recommendations for Michael?

message 31: by Emma (new)

Emma | 12 comments @ Michael: you may like Seven Forges too

message 32: by Michael (new)

Michael Kennedy (teelelen) | 2 comments Thanks to you all, I will deifnetly check out these titles!

message 33: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Dec 19, 2016 05:25PM) (new)

Michael, Anni was looking for someone to buddy read The Farseer Trilogy with as well if you were interested in that series once you had a look at it.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 34: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I'd just like to thank my fellow moderators Angela and Emma. Best thing Jenna and I ever did with regards to this group was asking for help. I feel like since we added them the group reads have tripled, participation is up and I don't feel stressed about how to make it a more active group.

Couple that with a lot of new members who are really active along with the old guard and I look at the bookshelf and discussions and feel like we have a great place to discuss books and decompress.

message 35: by Samir (new)

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Scott wrote: "I'd just like to thank my fellow moderators Angela and Emma. Best thing Jenna and I ever did with regards to this group was asking for help. I feel like since we added them the group reads have tri..."

Agreed, I really feel at home here.

Cheers TV show intro song:

"Where everybody knows your name,
And they're always glad you came.
You wanna go where people know,
People are all the same.
You wanna go where everybody knows your name."

:))

message 36: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Samir wrote: "Cheers TV show intro song"

Going old school.....scary that it hasn't been on in 24 years.

message 37: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Say what? 24 years?! (insert smilie with bulging eyes here).
Men, I feel old right now.

message 38: by Quinn (new)

Quinn | 460 comments Lol obviously j never heard of that song.

message 39: by Emma (new)

Emma | 12 comments Scott wrote: "I'd just like to thank my fellow moderators Angela and Emma. Best thing Jenna and I ever did with regards to this group was asking for help. I feel like since we added them the group reads have tri..."

Thanks Scott! This is my favourite group for buddy reads because people actually interact and try to read more or less at the same pace...on the subject of asking for help...ahem..I seem unable to set up a folder forGods of Anthem - A Zombie Dystopian Novel - or at least I did set one up but then I couldn't see it so I deleted it again....

message 40: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

You have to create a thread before it will show up in the folder list. I created it as Gods of Anthem since it looks like the first book was renamed and this was the series name. You can always change both if I'm wrong.

message 41: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Thanks so much Scott. I really love this group and agree with Emma that we are a group that really participates well in buddy reads. Plus we've found a large group of people who enjoy reading what what we love to read.

message 42: by Quinn (new)

Quinn | 460 comments Thank you guys for create this group. I am so glad to be here and read all sort of book!! HOWEVER!!!
Because of you guys my library is a disaster zone!!!

message 43: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2150 comments I haven't read along with any of the group reads yet but the incomplete series challenge has greatly helped alleviate some of my anxiety over my many incomplete series.

message 44: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
I prefer the Golden Girls theme song:

Thank you for being a friend
Traveled down the road and back again
Your heart is true your a pal and a confidant.

And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you ever knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say thank you for being a friend.

message 45: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Scott wrote: "I'd just like to thank my fellow moderators Angela and Emma. Best thing Jenna and I ever did with regards to this group was asking for help. I feel like since we added them the group reads have tri..."

I completely agree. There was no way this group would have survived if Angela and Emma didn't join us, not only to help with what we were already doing, but to make new threads and create a plethora of new buddy reads.
Right now, I can only use the site on my computer once a week (sometimes less) so I know the success of this group is largely because of you guys.
Also, thanks to all of our members, new and old, who actively participate. It wouldn't be the same without all of you!

message 46: by John (new)

John Compton | 163 comments Getting my list of books ready for the my county's Annual Library Book Sale in May. I really, really love Brandon Sanderson. Are there other authors you guys would recommend?
BTW, if you are near North Carolina, it is worth the trip. Final day of the sale is usually (most years) $3 or $5 per box (holds about 20 - 24 hardbacks). Usually 300K - 350K books (about half from the library, half are donations from people that bought a book, read it, and gave it to the library).

message 47: by Quinn (new)

Quinn | 460 comments Most of the book I would recommended is on this group list. Check out the threads. Also the list of books we will read in the future.

message 48: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4255 comments John wrote: "Getting my list of books ready for the my county's Annual Library Book Sale in May. I really, really love Brandon Sanderson. Are there other authors you guys would recommend?
BTW, if you are near ..."

What county are you in?

message 49: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Feb 09, 2017 04:58PM) (new)

John I've loved Steven Erikson (Malazan) / Robin Hobb (Rainwild plus all her series) / George R.R. Martin (A Song of Ice and Fire) / Brent Weeks (all his books) / Neil Gaiman. They're all authors I've rated 5 stars on Goodreads.

Other authors I've enjoyed are Brian Staveley (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne) / Jeff Salyards (The Bloodsounders Arc) / Jim Butcher (Dresden Files) / Sara Douglass (Wayfarer Redemption) / Mark Lawrence (The Broken Empire) / Raymond E Feist / Fiona McIntosh (Percheron)

I think that's enough from me anyway :).

message 50: by John (new)

John Compton | 163 comments Tammie wrote: "John wrote: "Getting my list of books ready for the my county's Annual Library Book Sale in May. I really, really love Brandon Sanderson. Are there other authors you guys would recommend?
BTW, if ..."

Wake (Raleigh)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9