What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Just to chat > Author Alerts replacement

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Faith (new)

Faith I was using authoralerts dot com to find out about upcoming books or new editions for authors that I was tracking. They seem to have closed up shop and I was wondering whether anyone knows of a good alternative. I know about the GR and Amazon tracking. Thanks.

message 2: by Tala (new)

Tala   (tala2) | 109 comments FictFact is something you could check out.
https://www.fictfact.com/

message 3: by Faith (new)

Faith Thanks. I had looked at this site, but I rarely read series. I just want to follow authors I like.

message 4: by Tala (new)

Tala   (tala2) | 109 comments I believe you can follow authors on eReaderIQ
http://www.ereaderiq.com/

message 5: by Faith (new)

Faith Thanks. Ereaderiq will let you know when a kindle book goes on sale or when a book is newly added to kindle and I do use it, but that isn't what I am looking for. Also, it may be about to go out of business too (or start charging for their service).

message 6: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (00krystal) | 132 comments From what I've seen, most of these alert sites simply pull their data from news releases and newly available books (in whatever format) from Amazon. Maybe consider just going to the source? If you search for an author in Amazon, and click their name to visit their Author Page, there is a button there under their picture to Follow. This then sends any alerts about that author. I do this and get emails regarding upcoming books available for preorder or new editions of books available for sale.

I was using tracknewbook .com (I still do, in fact, because unsubscribing is too much work, lol) but I find that my Amazon alerts do the same thing.

message 7: by Ingo (last edited Jun 30, 2016 11:59AM) (new)

Ingo (ilembcke) | 630 comments @Faith
authoralerts.com shows a login-screen and a little information, so it seems to working. Maybe a temporary glitch?
Else if you did not receive mail, you should have received, they may be blacklisted (this is usually temporary) with your email provider. Check you spam filter and settings, add them to your whitelist and address book or sign up a second time with a different email address. As they offer RSS, that may also be something to look into.

Using Author Alarms myself and Amazon Alerts for much the same task.
FictFact sends emails too, but is only about series - as I read a lot of series, this works for me, but, as the OP said, not for all.

Not entirely satisfied with authoralarms - they group multiple authors in the mail, if they happen to have new books.

Also if multiple authors with that name exist, you get mail for all.
Liked it the way the Sony US-EBook Store did: 1 Mail per author, and only ebooks (ok, authoralarms has that as a setting now).
Then again, I have not told them so, it is a free service after all.

message 8: by Faith (new)

Faith Thanks for the responses. I know the sign up page is still up for author alerts but the site is definetly not operating now. What I liked about it is that I did not have to wait for emails, I could see all upcoming books months in advance from all my listed authors, all in one place. I guess I will have to go back to checking them one at a time on GR.

message 9: by Ingo (last edited Jul 03, 2016 03:12AM) (new)

Ingo (ilembcke) | 630 comments Faith wrote: "Thanks for the responses. I know the sign up page is still up for author alerts but the site is definetly not operating now. What I liked about it is that I did not have to wait for emails, I could..."
After signing up for it, I find that odd, as they pay for it that the site is up.
You are correct, I added 28 authors (some I had to check as I could not remember them anymore), as with Amazon and authoralarms.
They show no upcoming releases, nothing for the week and I have not received an email yet. That could be entirely possible, but I know that some books where just published in the last few days (Stella Rimington for example).

message 10: by Ingo (last edited Jul 03, 2016 03:24AM) (new)

Ingo (ilembcke) | 630 comments Tried to contact authoralerts, will report back.

message 11: by Ingo (new)

Ingo (ilembcke) | 630 comments Received an answer from authoralerts.
"I recently became aware of the problem and am looking into it, and hope to get it resolved in the next few weeks. I apologize for any inconvenience."
Nice one, reasonably fast answer - but next few weeks?

message 12: by Ingo (new)

Ingo (ilembcke) | 630 comments Received a few alerts per mail from Authoralerts, so my guess is, the site is working again. For those with an account and listed authors, the site lists the authors and "xx upcoming releases" as a click-able link, so the OP (message 1) could try it again.

Sorry for posting this just today, I think it was working for a month or more, and then I remembered I wanted to post it, I had trouble finding this post and my comments.