Evergreen Park Readers discussion

Mischling by Affinity Konar

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna (last edited Jun 30, 2016 12:09PM) (new)

Donna Bailey | 98 comments Pre-teen twin girls are interred at Auschwitz during the Nazi reign and subjected to Mengeles' evil and maniacal medical mistreatment. This is a story that is so sorrowful yet beautiful. The girls and other captives endure. There is no ray of hope or sunshine just survival. There is despair in the air as the Nazis gleefully murder, maim and mistreat these children and steal their childhood. But through it all even though it is not expressed in thought or spoken word the reader can still feel the light that is within these girls. A horrific subject told in bleak and simple terms yet an enriching experience.

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna Wassenaar | 54 comments Wow. It does sound very bleak. I'll put it on the list behind The Nightingale with sad WW2 books that are so good that your heart aches and you are glad to have read them; but sad to now have to carry that story around with you.

message 3: by Donna (new)

Donna Bailey | 98 comments It is hauntingly bleak and I don't think that I will soon forget Pearl and Stasha.