CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

Halfway Celebration Threads > Day 3- Least Favorite Book so Far This Year

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 749 comments Mod
Today's thread would like to know what your least favorite book has been so far this year?

Again, this was a hard one for me as I've pretty much enjoyed everything I've read so far. But I would have to say some of the graphic novels I've read have been less than stellar, mainly because they don't have complete story arcs. There would be one part of the story and then suddenly, the next arc would begin. This is because comic storylines span multiple books so if you're reading Superman, you won't get the rest of the story without reading Supergirl, Superboy, etc. It's annoying, though, when you have random bits in your graphic novel with neither a beginning nor a conclusion.

Superman/Wonder Woman, Vol. 2 War and Peace by Charles Soule Superman, Vol. 3 Fury at World's End by Scott Lobdell

message 2: by Lyn (new)

Lyn | 53 comments Mine
was a Hoopla choice
NPR Driveway moments Moms
I was expecting more from it,fell kind of flat

message 3: by J (new)

J (luckyladyvabch) | 177 comments Mod
The one I really like the least was The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty

The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty (Sleeping Beauty, #1) by A.N. Roquelaure

Usually I'm up for books like this one - but - NO... I just didn't like this one :(

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie | 130 comments I think my least favorite so far was Glass Sword.

Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2) by Victoria Aveyard

It was the second book in a series, the follow up to Red Queen, and while it held promise, it ended up falling terribly short for me. The main character was incredibly whiny, more so than the typical teenage style books. The new characters were underdeveloped, and the plot was seriously lacking. Surprisingly I don't even know if I want to find out what happens in the series now.

message 5: by J (new)

Julie wrote: "I think my least favorite so far was Glass Sword."

You know I feel kind of similar to you on this one - but I still enjoyed it enough that I will continue with the story - I've listened to the entire story on audio and that may be the difference for me.

message 6: by Julie (new)

Julie | 130 comments Jennifer wrote: "Julie wrote: "I think my least favorite so far was Glass Sword."

You know I feel kind of similar to you on this one - but I still enjoyed it enough that I will continue with the story - I've liste..."

That's interesting because I listened to the audiobooks as well, but this last one was just so whiny to me. It felt like they just flew around for most of the book finding new recruits, and then the last 1/4 of the book there was all this action that went nowhere.

Part of me wants to know what happens, but the other part of me wonders if the next book will be more of the same.

message 7: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 749 comments Mod
Julie wrote: "Part of me wants to know what happens, but the other part of me wonders if the next book will be more of the same.

Is it wrong that I cheat? I will go find the synopsis, read what happens, and then determine if I really want to actually read the entire thing. I hate to confess, but this is what I've done with Game of Thrones because I just couldn't get into A Feast of Crows.

message 8: by J (new)

Julie wrote:That's interesting because I listened to the audiobooks as well, but this last one was just so whiny to me. It felt like they just flew around for most of the book finding new recruits, and then the last 1/4 of the book there was all this action that went nowhere. "

You are right - they did do that - I might not have felt the whiny character flaw because I speed up the tempo of my audio so I can get through them faster. But it did feel like a normal stepping book - a step from book one to book three - where all the characters are walking/traveling somewhere to get to the next part of the story. That is how I felt with the Defiance series - in book two all they did was walk, walk, walk, walk, walk (do that in your head to Rhiannon's Work LOL). I wasn't sure if I wanted to read book three in that series - but tried it for about 100 pages and gave up.... Maybe book three in the Glass Sword series will be better... I'm hoping at least :) book one was good... I'm still sore over Maven though >:(

message 9: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Hurst (bookrdr) | 279 comments Life & Death. The reverse of Twilight where the vampire is the female. I thought it was horrible & the boy seemed so wimpy since the girl was the strong one. Ha ha