Star Trek Reads discussion

Captain to Captain (Star Trek: Legacies #1)
This topic is about Captain to Captain
Hailing Frequencies > 50 Year Anniversary books

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lizzie (last edited Jun 29, 2016 06:00AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lizzie | 80 comments Cox runs into Mack at a convention and Mack says some authors are working on a big, multi-volume saga in celebration of 50 years of Star Trek, The collaboration gave rise to the Legacies series. I was disappointed by this first book. My reasons are in my review which is about why I could only give it 3 stars. Legacies: Book 1: Captain to Captain Legacies: Book 1: Captain to Captain by Greg Cox

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Why only 3 stars?

1. It wasn't what I was expecting. A series to celebrate 50 years of Star Trek but only a portion of the book included Captain Kirk, and Bones was barely there at all. The central figure was Number One, a story from Captain April's time aboard the Enterprise. Captain April and Captain Pike stories are not ones that I read. (Mostly because there is not enough time to read all the series that are now available.)

2. Cox's writing style makes me want to skip pages He spent more time describing the rain forest in minute detail than the landing party spent walking the 6 kilometers. It annoyed me that he several times made an issue of misters along the building providing cooling relief. I live in Arizona. Misters work only when the humidity is not high. They are in a rain forest where the humidity is generally 80% or higher - misters will cool you off in the desert (if it's not monsoon season); they will not cool you off in the rain forest. To go into such detail about the rain forest and then to make that kind of error bugged me.

3. It ended without the story being resolved. Yes we know there are two more books coming out in this series, but as we have seen in other Star Trek series, we can have complete stories in each novel and maintain a theme and story line (i.e., Captain's Table).

So those are my reasons for not rating this book higher. It was only "ok". The plot didn't excite me. I had to look up Number One in Memory Alpha and Beta to connect the dots to references to her back story (from other books and comics). Kirk playing a very secondary role in the story line and in Cox's portrayal of his character was disappointing. i will still buy the next two Legacies novels, which are written by other authors, and will read them, but this one didn't leave me feeling like I need to preorder my copies.

Has anyone else read this and was it more acceptable and enjoyable to you?

message 2: by Breena (last edited Aug 09, 2016 05:10PM) (new)

Breena Kerr | 1 comments I devoured this one called "Future Perfect!" It just came out as an Ebook in a new anniversary edition and has interviews with the show creators, actors and fans around the world. Pretty much a must-read for a Trekkie, IMO.

Future Perfect: How Star Trek Conquered Planet Earth

Kindle Link: https://www.amazon.com/Future-Perfect...

Lizzie | 80 comments Breena wrote: "I devoured this one called "Future Perfect!" It just came out as an Ebook in a new anniversary edition and has interviews with the show creators, actors and fans around the world. Pretty much a mus..."

I haven't read this one. A long time ago, in high school in the mid-70s, I did a report on Star Trek. Finding information was not so easy. The Making of Star Trek (1969) on TOS was an eye-opener and new in the genre of how a TV series comes into being. I will have to take a look at this one.

message 4: by Lizzie (last edited Aug 24, 2016 04:39AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lizzie | 80 comments I discovered there is another anniversary trilogy coming out at the end of September, of which I was unaware until today. "an epic new trilogy that stretches from the events of The Original Series movie The Search for Spock to The Next Generation!"
Book One: Hell's Heart Amazon shows the cover but Goodreads doesn't.
I haven't read anything by the author; It appears he writes a lot of Star Wars novels but I didn't see any Star Trek ones on his list in Goodreads.

Prey: Book One: Hell's Heart (Star Trek) by John Jackson Miller Mass Market Paperback $6.79

Prey: Book Two: The Jackal's Trick (Star Trek) by John Jackson Miller Mass Market Paperback $7.99

Star Trek: The Hall of Heroes (Star Trek: Prey) by John Jackson Miller Mass Market Paperback $7.99

Brandon Harbeke | 32 comments John Jackson Miller wrote TNG: Takedown, which came out last year and also features the Titan characters. He is a fantastic author in both Trek and Wars, and I am very excited for Prey.

George | 4 comments I have read the first two of the Legacies series and enjoyed them both, although I liked the second one a little better than the first. I'm still waiting to get the last book of that series and the first book of the Prey series from the library.

Lizzie | 80 comments Brandon wrote: "John Jackson Miller wrote TNG: Takedown, which came out last year and also features the Titan characters. He is a fantastic author in both Trek and Wars, and I am very excited for Prey."

That is why I am unfamiliar with him - I don't read the TNG or Titan books. Have to limit the budget and TNG was far from my favorite Star Trek, unlike many other people. Its poppularity did result in a resurgence of books in the original Star Trek, for which I am appreciative.

Before Amazon and ebooks, with only the local bookstore, I did read Star Wars books, but haven't read them in years.

message 8: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee | 35 comments I just finished the first Legacies Legacies Book 1 Captain to Captain by Greg Cox . I liked it, especially as I am now looking for pre-Kirk stories.

Lizzie | 80 comments I read the first Prey book and thought it was great. I liked it better than Legacies. The author handled TOS and TNG characters equally well.

Bruce | 42 comments ^ I also like Prey better than Legacies so far. I'm getting ready to start Prey Book 2 today.

Lizzie | 80 comments My book 2 of prey should arrive wed. I ordered book 3 too. Book 3 of legacies went on the back burner of my book budget because Prey was so much better in my opinion.

Lizzie | 80 comments Bruce wrote: "^ I also like Prey better than Legacies so far. I'm getting ready to start Prey Book 2 today."

I just finushed the second Prey book. it was even better than the first. The third book arrived Monday so I am ready ro read it.

John Jackson Miller does an excellent job on all aspects of the book - characters, histoey, plot, ships and battles, and the Star Trek worlds and philosophies. I am impressed.

message 13: by Bree (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bree (breezybree) | 3 comments Lizzie wrote: "Bruce wrote: "^ I also like Prey better than Legacies so far. I'm getting ready to start Prey Book 2 today."

I just finished the second Prey book. it was even better than the first. The third book..."

Oh good to know, I haven't read those yet, but loved the Legacies books.

message 14: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan (kertrats) | 39 comments Coming to this discussion a little late, but I loved book 3. It was my favorite book of the year. A terrific end to the Prey trilogy!

message 15: by Bree (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bree (breezybree) | 3 comments Dan wrote: "Coming to this discussion a little late, but I loved book 3. It was my favorite book of the year. A terrific end to the Prey trilogy!"

I am excited, these three books are totally on my "want to read" list. Glad you all brought them to my attention, I had only caught the Legacies ones!

Brandon Harbeke | 32 comments I love Miller's work in Star Trek and Star Wars. I am in the middle of the Prey trilogy right now. One thing I have noticed is that the characters all have motivations for their actions that make sense, based on their history and perspective. They also make pretty inventive use of tactics and technology.

Lizzie | 80 comments The Legacy series didn't really peak for me. I switched and read the Prey series which I loved and thought was extremely well-done. I have been trying to read the 3rd Legacy book and just can't seem to get very far. I set it aside after a few chapters. All this time and I am only half way through. I will finish it!!!

Brandon Harbeke | 32 comments Legacies: Best Defense is worth reading. The other two are serviceable, but they only have brief moments where they rise above their standard TOS plots.

Prey is a wonderful trilogy, and I highly recommend it to all Trek fans.

Andrew | -5 comments Maybe cause I'm new to reading the Trek novels, the Legacy series was more enjoyable for me. Wasn't familiar with Captain Una character what so ever, but still relished the trilogy. I thought Greg Cox had the dialogue down with the main characters from TOS tv shows. I loved how the novel ended with a surprise in Captain to Captain setting up Best Defense. Think for any fan of TOS isn't much else you can ask for when you have Romulans, Klingons including Gorkon, familiar weapon from one of the most popular episodes and Spock's parents in one wild storyline. Marking a 50th anniversary, it was an exciting adventure to read.