paced reading horror and thrillers discussion

To Wake the Dead
This topic is about To Wake the Dead
group reads archive > July Group Read - To Wake the Dead 100% spoilers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Hi everyone,

To Wake the Dead won the July group read poll.

We'll start reading this on Monday 4th July so there's still a few days to see if you can get a copy if you don't have it.

Just a reminder, don't discuss past the spoiler % and discussion doesn't need to be hidden in spoilers.
Enjoy! :)

Justin (justineaton) | 3492 comments Mod
Awesome! Can't wait.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Justin wrote: "Awesome! Can't wait."

Hoping my copy arrives this week!! :D

Maxine Marsh | 703 comments Mod
I am in, thought I'd get the kindle unlimited version but Amazon told me I already purchased this one like 3 years ago! There's an introduction by Dean Koontz, I may skip it until after I'm finished with the book just in case there's spoilerish stuff in there.

message 5: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom | 28 comments This was my first Laymon and boy was it a doozie. Have fun.

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 267 comments Tom wrote: "This was my first Laymon and boy was it a doozie. Have fun."

"Doozie" is the appropriate word. I had a blast with this. Very Laymony. You kids have fun.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments I got my book in time! Also skipping the intro for now, to avoid spoilers...

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Spoilers changed to 25%, please remember to only discuss to this point. :)

11811 (Eleven) wrote: "Tom wrote: "This was my first Laymon and boy was it a doozie. Have fun."

"Doozie" is the appropriate word. I had a blast with this. Very Laymony. You kids have fun."

I suggested this one because of your recommendation. Been wanting to read it for awhile.

I will start Tuesday when i go back to work

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 267 comments Justin wrote: "11811 (Eleven) wrote: "Tom wrote: "This was my first Laymon and boy was it a doozie. Have fun."

"Doozie" is the appropriate word. I had a blast with this. Very Laymony. You kids have fun."

I sugg..."

If you like Laymon, you almost have to like this one. It has all the craziness of the Beast House books.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Justin wrote: "I will start Tuesday when i go back to work"

I'll be starting Tuesday, as well. :)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Just started, but I like the direction it's taking. I'm finishing up a Janz book, so after that, I'll catch up to our 50% mark, hopefully, in time for next week!!

message 14: by Kate (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Okay, I'm 25% in and it's fun so far. I like the dog's perspective and hope he'll keep featuring in the book.
One thing I don't get is why Tag and Susan are being so tolerant of Mabel, if she slashed my tyres, groped my boyfriend and slapped/spit in my face her ass would be sitting in jail.
Ed's story is interesting, I want to know who/what is keeping him and others captive and what happened to the girl when the lights went out.

Im almost to 25% i usual don't read on the weakends but i will try to catch up.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Okay--at 25%.
First off, Mabel--there is no way in hell I would put up with her. Susan should have pressed charges immediately. She has a child to think of, and the psycho knows her address! (Not believable behavior, imho).

Ed's situation is VERY intriguing--makes you want to keep reading since nobody is saying anything to him that tells what is going on there.

LOVE George, the dog!! :)

message 17: by Kate (last edited Jul 09, 2016 11:37PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
I"m also wondering how Imad is going to feature in the story again. He was the one who gave the collection to the museum and I doubt he wants anything to do with it given his experience with Amara.
I also think that Blaze and his girlfriend are going to regret messing with him.

message 18: by Kate (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Spoilers changed to 50%.
I'm there already but I'll wait til someone else has read up to this point before commenting.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments I'm at 51% now!!

I'm having trouble getting into this one. I might buy the audible version so i can listen without interruption at work.

message 21: by Kate (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
I'm glad Amara didn't get the dog but that annoying kid is probably sorry that he took her home! I wonder what she's going to do with the baby.
Susan and Tag are kind of blending into the background so far, I don't feel I've engaged with either of them.
Ed is in a very weird situation, I wonder if his female cellmate is really the one behind it all.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments I was much happier that George escaped than the kid ;). I am curious about her angle with the baby--it must be for something, or she would have just killed it. I keep thinking sacrifice or soul transfer, but that's purely guesswork, as I stopped at 51%. Susan and Tag don't impress me at all at this point. After the incident(s) with Mabel, I've kind of lost believability in them.

Ed is another story! I really have the same feeling about the girl--after all, she admitted to being in a cell with other females, and she's the only one there now, whereas Ed and Marco had separate cells all along.....

I stopped right at the diary chapter, so that I wouldn't get too far ahead....it's a very fast read, imo.

Ok, im almost to 50% I'm wondering if the dog will be back in the story, and even more, if the bat attack will mean anything. Why did the bat attack her and why did it have any effect when bullets don't. It's a long shot but i can't help but thinking about vampires with the whole beast house captivity parts. Tag and Susan parts are boring, i don't like them. And i think Imad will be back with that notebook from the safe. If it is a way of stopping her though why didn't he use it already when the other guy he inherited everything from died?

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments I was wondering about the bats, too.....

message 25: by Kate (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Perhaps the book can only be used to seal her into her coffin. When she arrived at the museum they would have broken the seal to have a look at her??

Yea, maybe he used it to seal her in and they broke it again. That would make sense.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments I thought it was broken when the robbers tried to take it from Callahan's house????

message 28: by Kate (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
It was but I think Imad would have used the book after this to seal her back into her coffin.

message 29: by Kate (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Spoilers changed to 75%!

Maxine Marsh | 703 comments Mod
Justin wrote: "Ok, im almost to 50% I'm wondering if the dog will be back in the story, and even more, if the bat attack will mean anything. Why did the bat attack her and why did it have any effect when bullets ..."

Finally passed 50%. I agree about Imad. I just started the backstory part about Callahan. I'm not sure how all the threads of separate stories will meet up, the runaway teens, the captured sex slave kid, Tag and Susan, Imad, etc....I'm finding it a little hard to stay interested but I'm slowly making my way through...

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments I just passed the 75% mark, and I can say that the Tag and Susan parts are boring me completely. The notebook was intriguing, and shed a lot of light on Amara, and how Imad came to be in the Callahan mansion. I got the impression that he "didn't" know any of that early stuff until after reading the journal.

I still can't figure out the purpose of the runaways, and the blind girl....I "suspect" the sex slaves are some sort of ritual (?) maybe. Only because the original people trying to rob Callahan of Amara may have been working for someone who knew exactly what they wanted. Just a thought--nothing in the book is linking any of these things.

I really liked the notebook part. Unfortunately that's really all i have liked. Im still not really getting into this one, I'm just pushing on for the sake of the groupread and to see how the story lines will come together.

message 33: by Kate (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
At least now we know why she has taken the baby, to replace the one that was taken from her.
This isn't really coming together for me either, I'm liking it okay but it's not like any other RL story I've read and I'm sure that this must be one of the ones finished by another author after he died.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Kate wrote: "At least now we know why she has taken the baby, to replace the one that was taken from her.
This isn't really coming together for me either, I'm liking it okay but it's not like any other RL stor..."

I was wondering that, too, Kate...
I liked the journal part the best so far, too, Justin.

I'm going to finish up tonight.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments I just finished today, as well.

message 37: by Kate (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
I'm not quite to 75% but should be there shortly.
One thought I had was that Mabel is one of the people keeping Ed as a sex slave as she's described as having a sour milk smell and Virginia has said that one of their captors smells of sour milk.
I was beginning to wonder if she would reappear at all but she's just tagged onto Imad going to see Susan. This story really needs to come together a bit more, it's all over the place.

message 38: by Kimberly (last edited Jul 22, 2016 05:47AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Kate wrote: "I'm not quite to 75% but should be there shortly.
One thought I had was that Mabel is one of the people keeping Ed as a sex slave as she's described as having a sour milk smell and Virginia has sa..."

(view spoiler)

message 39: by Kate (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
I also think that April is the younger person holding Ed as a sex slave especially as Ed and Virginia think they are being held someplace like a recording studio.

I haven't got as far as Mabel and Imad, is that past the 75% stage?

message 40: by Kate (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
I'd like to smack Pix in the mouth, she's incredibly annoying even for a 14 year old.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Sorry Kate! I believe it started before that, since I stopped at the 77-78% mark, (view spoiler) Sorry--that one was borderline.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Kate wrote: "I'd like to smack Pix in the mouth, she's incredibly annoying even for a 14 year old."

Agreed! And after her sister SAVED her from the stepfather, too!

message 43: by Kate (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Kimberly wrote: "Sorry Kate! I believe it started before that, since I stopped at the 77-78% mark, [spoilers removed] Sorry--that one was borderline."

Don't worry, I was going to suggest that we just keep discussing it as you and Justin seem to be finished and I'll get this read tomorrow. As we're the only ones reading I don't see any point in waiting til Sunday to discuss at 100%.

message 44: by Kate (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Kimberly wrote: "Kate wrote: "I'd like to smack Pix in the mouth, she's incredibly annoying even for a 14 year old."

Agreed! And after her sister SAVED her from the stepfather, too!"

I got so annoyed when she brought up Grace giving her stepfather the come on and saying she was being a drama queen for saying it was rape.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Kate wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Kate wrote: "I'd like to smack Pix in the mouth, she's incredibly annoying even for a 14 year old."

Agreed! And after her sister SAVED her from the stepfather, too!"

I got so ann..."

She was not only ungrateful, but apparently completely ignorant about the world at large. Whining about going home--where she would be most likely raped/beaten--instead of thinking about how Grace AND her boyfriend BOTH gave up their lives to help her....

message 46: by Kate (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
I'm finished this, will wait til tomorrow before discussing more.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Kate wrote: "I'm finished this, will wait til tomorrow before discussing more."

:)

message 48: by Kate (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Spoilers changed to 100%.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments I did like the other storyline with the blind woman (although I thought it extremely obvious that she was behind the "cages" right from the start). The part I DIDN'T like was that aside from Amara being there for a few minutes, there was absolutely no connection to the main storyline. And the part with Grace, Pix, and Cody was completely off on its own. I don't mind different plot lines, as long as they're at least "connected" somehow in the end.

Loved the part about Amara, herself, but I wish the entire book had been about her.

Mabel and Imad??? Just didn't buy that one.....

message 50: by Kate (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
So much about this bothered me. There were too many unnecessary characters and story lines in this. The teenagers were not connected really at all except that Grace was used as a plot point for freeing Ed and Victoria. This could have easily been done by other characters, I really didn't get the point of their story.
Imad should have featured more heavily and his ending with Mabel was just ridiculous. Tag and Susan were boring, most of the story should have been driven by them but they ended up contributing almost nothing to the overall plot.
I definitely think this was only started by RL and then mostly written by someone else, and not someone good.
Disappointing but I have plenty of RL novels to re-read and 1 that I need to read (The Lake).

« previous 1