The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Readathons > July Readathon Planning and General Discussion

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Jenny Clark | 1543 comments Mod
For some, July 4th means Independence, barbeque, fire works and of course books! For others, it is a summer day to relax on. Whichever the case may be, express your freedom to read!
For those of you in the southern hemisphere, this is your chance to dream of summer with us ;)
Join us for a readathon starting on July 2nd at midnight and ending on July 11th at 11:59.
Use the planning thread to tell us what you plan to read, and the discussion and progress thread during the readathon to tell us your progress and how you have enjoyed your books.

message 2: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

I am going to read the Fright Time books I have left. They are short, so will finish off my Feather Weight challenge. I will also finish whatever book I start July 1.

message 3: by Veronique (new)

Veronique Oh there's another one :O)

message 4: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Yes there is Vero, cause we all wish every day was a readthon!

message 5: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Renee M | 4728 comments Mod
I'll be at the beach all week for my family vacation/reunion, so I won't be doing my usual audiobook listening. Hopefully, there will be plenty of paperback reading, along with all the cooking, gaming, wave-jumping, and sunscreening. :D

Don't know yet what I'm going to pack. I have several that are clamoring for room in my suitcase.

message 6: by Clare (new)

Clare (-clare-) | 98 comments My tentative plan is to finish my bookopoly book The Storyteller, 'eat' another slice of pie by reading The Great Gatsby and then start something else.

message 7: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Renee, sounds lovely! Claire, The Great Gatsby is a pretty good book, I hope you enjoy it!

message 8: by Cindy (new)

Cindy  | 384 comments My plan is to read some books for the Decade challenge. I just can't decide which book or year. I just read The Great Gatsby and thought it was a very good book.

message 9: by Marlowe (new)

Marlowe  (rotschoepfchen) | 0 comments I'm just 100 pages into Kafka on the Shore by Murakami and I need to read Number9dream by Mitchell for uni so that's it. :) if there is more time to read then I'll start IQ84 by Murakami. :)

message 10: by Sarah C (new)

Sarah C Bartolo (beez_sarah) hey everyone for me July 4th is a cold winters day, and sadly a Monday which for me means a work day.

However I will be joining you all on this readathon, I will be finishing the following books

After You - JoJo Moyes
Throne of Glass (1,2 &3) and A Court Of thorns and roses - S J Mass

wishing you all a happy independence day and joyous readathon!

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (charmedh2ogirl) | 3 comments I'm going to read The Assassin's Blade, Ms Marvel Volume 2 and Heir of Fire.

message 12: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Hi, Pat. :)
I loved Kafka on the Shore! One of my favorite Murakami novels. 1Q84 was harder to get into for me, but I'm glad I read it. I still have distinctive "snapshots" of certain characters and moments from it that retain their intensity. So glad to have another Murakami fan onboard.

message 13: by Kathryn (last edited Jun 30, 2016 05:55AM) (new)

Kathryn (an80slady6886) I have just started Killing Floor (Jack Reacher, #1) by Lee Child (the 1st Jack Reacher novel) and I have the audiobooks My Life by Bill Clinton (Part 1 for the audio version). (This is a long audio Part 1 is about 25 hours); I plan to listen to 1 or 2 other audiobooks before diving into Part 2 of My Life, which is equally long. One of the books I plan to listen to after Part 1 is The Secret Sister (Fairham Island, #1) by Brenda Novak . I'll probably add to this list or change it, but for now this is my plan. Looking forward to this readathon!

message 14: by Amythest (new)

Amythest Zhang (amythestnight) I plan to read The Lost Hero & The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan, Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson, and The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater (if I can manage to finish the other three!)

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 10 comments I plan to finish Truman Capote's In Cold Blood first, then read Me Before You by JoJo Moyes and follow that up with In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson. If I finish up those, I will start Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo.

message 16: by Andy (new)

Andy (andysantos) | 1 comments I am going to read "The Unexpected everything" by Morgan Matson and finish the book "Jellicoe Road"..

message 17: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Sounds like we have some good books coming up for this readathon! Hope every one enjoys them! Sarah, a nice warm cup of tea and good book for you then ;)
Happy reading everyone!

message 18: by Karolyn (new)

Karolyn | 112 comments I don't have a set plan, but want to get some quality reading in. It might well depend on what e-books are avalable from my library and strike my fancy. I have the 2nd - 5th off of work, so the ti opting is great.

message 19: by Marla (last edited Jul 03, 2016 07:26AM) (new)

Marla Harris | 17 comments I know I will read Court of Mist and
Fury for sure
Never say for sure. Three holds just came in from the library. The Girls, The Unexpected Everything and Made You Up. Change of plans apparently

message 20: by Donna (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 5 comments I don't have a set plan but I want to get lots of reading in. I never know what I am going to read until right before I start the book.

message 21: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (an80slady6886) Kathryn wrote: "I have just started Killing Floor (Jack Reacher, #1) by Lee Child (the 1st Jack Reacher novel) and I have the audiobooks My Life by Bill Clinton (Part 1 for the audio version). (This is a long audio Part 1 is ..."

I've already decided that I am going to hold off on reading The Killing Floor and instead listen to that book sometime in the future. I have to decide on what I plan to read, but my audiobooks will stay the same. I'll be back to let you know what I have decided to read.

Jordan (Rashell Reads) (rashellreads) I only work one night during the readathon so I plan on non stop reading. I want to read:
1. Winter by Marrissa Meyer
2. Fan girl by Rainbow Rowell
3. All the Beight Places by Jennifer Niven:

Not sure what other books so I'll see as I go along

message 23: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Jordan, Winter was pretty good! I love that whole series!

message 24: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 438 comments I'll finish Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. I have a lot of books my Mum has lent me taking up room on the shelves, so I'll go for one of those next.

message 25: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) | 1298 comments Mod
I'm also planning to go with the flow, to read as much as possible and see where it takes me.

message 26: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 50 comments Kids away at camp and a week to myself, couldn't think of a better way to spend my time!
I'll be reading 6 books...maybe a little over zealous...but I just can't help myself, there are just too many "good reads"!! I've already started listening to Soldier via audible, but will include it anyway just in case.

The Wheel of Osheim
Viscous
The Invisible Library
Sorcerer to the Crown
A Criminal Magic
Soldier (Talon Series)

message 28: by Margie (new)

Margie Totally in! I started a new job in June and read very little. Can't wait to get some reading done. Top of my list are a couple overdue library books - Smoke and The Atomic Weight of Love.

message 29: by Beth (new)

Beth I saw this event on a friend's page and joined specifically for the readathon, is that ok?

I don't know if I'll stay in this group yet.

I'm planning to read
Aurora
The Philosopher Kings
Tales from Ovid: 24 Passages from the Metamorphoses

message 30: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) I have a four day weekend and will be working on The Pillars of the Earth, which is a buddy read! I'm sure I won't finish this week as it's huge and I'm not as fast a reader as I used to be.

Have fun everybody, and happy Independence Day to those of us in the States.

Mindy

message 31: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Welcome, Beth! Of course, you're welcome to join us for the readathon. And whenever you're ready, check out some of the other things on our homepage. There are lots of things to do, but you can pick and choose what you want to create the experience which works for you. Feel free to ask any questions in the folder set up for that. In the end, you may decide that this is not be the group for you, but we're glad to have you along for now. :)

message 32: by Dana (new)

Dana (danachewy) | 36 comments School's just let out yesterday, so I went to the library and got a bunch of books for the readathon! :) I'm going to camp on July 11, though, so we'll see how much I can read.

Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells You What She's "Learned"
The Year of Magical Thinking
Gone Girl
The Girl on the Train

message 33: by Danya (new)

Danya Stoyanova Im iffy .but ill try to squize some.reading.
Anna and tge french kiss
Iluminae
that is for now.
I am on.golixay in Greece till 3d and.getting back in Bulgaria and starting new job in Monday. Sooo it will be interesting.

message 34: by Veronique (new)

Veronique Got tons to read... I might change but thinking of reading:
Shadow Scale (Seraphina 2), Gigi & The Cat, Cruel Beauty, - all this while carrying on with my many group reads :O)

message 35: by Celia (new)

Celia (cinbread19) | 50 comments Yes - I have borrowed many books and will attack the pile

Doctors
The Red Shoes: Margaret Atwood/Starting Out
The Dovekeepers
Silent House
Summerland

If I get three of these done, I will be very happy.

message 36: by Kathryn (last edited Jul 01, 2016 06:43AM) (new)

Kathryn (an80slady6886) Celia wrote: "Yes - I have borrowed many books and will attack the pile

Doctors
The Red Shoes: Margaret Atwood/Starting Out
The Dovekeepers
Silent House

Summerland by Elin Hilderbrand was the first book I listened to on audio and my first by Elin Hildebrand. It was really good, 4 out of 5 stars.

message 37: by Evan (new)

Evan (perfect_leaves) | 97 comments Something told me to check goodreads and I'm glad I did, 12AM just rolled around here, marking the beginning of the readathon. ima finish my current book (The Ideal Muslimah) and. hopefully bite a huge chunk out lf South China Morning Blues. i need to finish it ASAP

message 38: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Sarabi, glad to have you along and hope you enjoy your books! It's still a few hours to midnight here, but I shall be putting up the progress thread shortly!

message 39: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (an80slady6886) Finalized my reading list What It Was Like; Short Stories of Childhood Memories of Segregation in America by Lois Watkins. Borrowing Trouble by Stacy Finz, One Lavender Ribbon (can't remember the author) and The Witness Wore Red by Rebecca Musser. I won't get to all of them but hopefully 2 or 3. Plus my audiobook picks. My Life (Part 1) by Bill Clinton and The Secret Sisters by Brenda Novak (I think).

message 40: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Kathryn, good luck :)

message 41: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (jenn_calaelen) | 40 comments I'm in, and will hopefully do better this time...

I'm currently re-reading the Temeraire series, before reading the final book for the first time. However, probably going to have a break soon to read Penric and the Shaman. Apart from that, no real plans, just see where things go...

message 42: by Veronique (new)

Veronique Dragons :0)
Have started A Natural History of Dragons and plan to read Shadow Scale too

message 43: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (jenn_calaelen) | 40 comments Many dragons!

A Natural History of Dragons is on my tbr list - it sounds really cool!

message 44: by Veronique (new)

Veronique Got another one for you - Tooth and Claw, which I'm reading next month

message 45: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (jenn_calaelen) | 40 comments Just what I need, more books for my tbr ;) (it sounds like a really unusual take on dragons)

message 46: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) Finished up the Autobiography of Ben Franklin in the nick of time and have started Pillars of the Earth. I love it already!

message 47: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 1 comments I will try to read Bad Teacher and a few others I have downloaded.

message 48: by Laronza (new)

Laronza Wiley-moore (laronzawiley-moore) | 236 comments Im late but im reading.... im in a horror mood so im going to read horror

message 49: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Pickstone | 563 comments Have read most of the ones I selected plus a few others and still some time to go.....one or two didn't arrive to the library this week so there've been some substitutions.