The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Age of Myth (The Legends of the First Empire, #1)
This topic is about Age of Myth
Michael J. Sullivan > AoM: Section 4: Chapters 22-28 (Full Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6374 comments Mod
Section 4

Discuss Chapters 22-28 and/or the book as a whole.

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling things for your good read friends.

Please do not discuss events from later books. Referring back to events from a previous section is fine.

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 24 comments I'm done. I think the first quarter was a world and character building effort which was still a 4*. The middle a 4.5* that started to really build. The ending brought it up to a 5 overall with a total 5+ finish.

Nyphron's conversation with Malcolm was a great twist. I didn't see Maeve being Suri's mother until just before it was obvious, again well done.

Most of all I totally didn't see them killing off Gryndal already. I figured him as being there until the end and thought I even remembered Arista having visions of a young Ezra Hardin and there being a mention of Gryndal and his power and Trilos warning him he couldn't match his power.

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 24 comments BTW another series moment was when Nyphron and his crew realized Persephone killed the bear in the dwarf runes. Those runes will play a part down the road.

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Loved that moment at the end, can't wait to see that progress. I liked Malcolm throughout the book, hope he doesn't end up working against Raithe and company.

Also didn't see the Marve/Suri connection till right when it was revealed.

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 24 comments I sort of assumed going in Raithe would be the start of Hadrian's line but both he had interest in Persephone so that's complicated. Malcolm is a wild card for certain as that last scene shows.

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Scott wrote: "I sort of assumed going in Raithe would be the start of Hadrian's line but both he had interest in Persephone so that's complicated. Malcolm is a wild card for certain as that last scene shows."

Yeah I kind of assumed the same thing about Raithe. I guess that could still be a possibility. I wonder if he will get more training from the Fhrey, which he can then pass down to other Rhunes.

I seem to remember in Riyria that the story/myth was that Nyphron fell in love with a human, Persephone, which caused him to fight for the humans. I wonder if that ends up being totally false because I didn't detect any love or feelings between the two. And from that convo at the end, I doubt Nyphron really cares about the Rhunes at this point (maybe something develops in later books?)

message 7: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 5 stars

These are my thoughts up to chapter 24. I stupidly thought the last section ended at 24 and not 21, so I posted them in the wrong thread. I'm not reading anyone else's posts until I finish the book...

So I totally called the power grab right. It's yet to be seen if his wife was the catalyst or not.

Someone mentioned their son being a possible target too. I hope that will be cleared up. My guess would be that the bear really did kill their son, and he wanted to go after it. They refused and took it as an opportunity to kill him.

And as right as I've been about the new chieftain, I was totally oblivious about Suri's parents. To be fair, I'm on like 4 hours of sleep, but I totally should have gotten that as soon as we were told the keeper's daughter was left in the woods. And 15 years ago no less.

Poor old lady book keeper. Dying to protect her daughter. I wonder if Suri will learn the truth. Persephanie is smart, I bet she'll figure it out if she hasn't already.

Now to see if the elves show up in time. My guess is they'll have to save Persephanie, etc and Suri will have to save herself. Probably with magic.

I'm really loving this book. Sad it's almost over.

message 8: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 5 stars

Now that I'm finished I see I wasn't alone about missing the Maeve/Suri connection. That makes me feel better. I was kicking myself a bit.

I definitely didn't expect the Malcolm/Nyphron connection either. I've been suspicious of Nyphron since he showed up though. I meant to bring it up earlier, but I kind of forgot with everything else going. I think he means to use the Rhunes to usurp power and skirt the law about killing other Fhrey.

I liked how Persephone made herself chieftain.

The constant references to Raithe and his two swords certainly remind me a lot of Hadrian. I can't remember much of anything of the myths from Riyria though. I'll likely reread that series sometime next year, so that should help.

I also was a bit surprised he killed off Gryndal. I'm glad he did though, he was a bit too mustache twirly. I think the Thain or possibly his son will make for a better adversary, hopefully one with some more shades of grey.

All and all I really loved this book, and I can't wait for the next one. Sad that they are doing them a year apart, but better than 2 or 3 years.

message 9: by TS (last edited Jul 04, 2016 07:19AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan (tschan) | 72 comments Great, I can post full spoilers here.

I absolutely loved the appearances of all these mythical/legnedary figures in the book. Below are what I picked up as I've only reread Riyria recently:

Spoilers for Riyria Revelations. (view spoiler)

message 10: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 5 stars

His name is Sebek? I kept thinking it was Sir Beck. Lol. That's a good theory though. I think we learn something about his fighting style's ancestory in one of the Ryria books. Although I dont remember a lot of the details and we should avoid discussing it here for anyone who hasn't read those books yet.

Maybe we can/should create a AoM/Ryria thread to discuss that stuff so people know there will be spoilers for both.

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments That's a good idea, Rob! Reading this has made me really want to do a reread of the Riyria books. I have it scheduled in another group for October-December I believe.

Great post, TS. Some great observations. I can't wait to see how it unfolds. I have to believe that we'll get to see the formation of those groups. And it's going to be awesome :D

message 12: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan (tschan) | 72 comments Oops, I'll add a spoiler tag for Riyria in my post above.

message 13: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 5 stars

No worries TS. I hadn't really thought to add that either. I do know we had someone who expressed interest in joining in the group discussion who hasn't read any of the Riyria books though.

Thanks!

message 14: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan (tschan) | 72 comments The Nyphron-Malcolm connection was the perfect epilogue. Unexpected and makes you eager for the next book. MJS is a sly one.

So far from this book, I really liked Nyphron and his Galantians. They actually have a sense of humour! Will love to see more elven action in the future with their amazing speed, stealth and skill.

Tammy For me this book just got better and better. It wasn't until Suri and Maeve were in the cave that you realize...omg...Suri is Maeve's daughter! And then think, oh crap, that salt isn't going to work at all! The moral of the story...don't feed people to bears!

That was incredibly smart of Suri to put the rhunes on the bandages so Arion didn't get her power back immediately.

I loved the twist with the Grin-dal coming to kill everyone one, that was clever. I too was shocked that Gryndal was killed as well but was pleasantly surprised. I love Persephone and Raithe, they should totally get together ; ) Raithe now has a shield that would make Captain America jealous and love when he saved Minna. Malcolm has also been awesome and funny. The conversation at the end though was intriguing! What was that all about? Obviously the Dergh Rols will hold many secrets.

This is just the beginning though for the folks of the Dahl, They better get ready as the Miralyith and Trillos will have them in their sites big time.

message 16: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tammy wrote: "The moral of the story...don't feed people to bears! "

Good moral :-P

I just realized, we never found out if the chieftain's wife was in on the murder plans. I wonder if that comes out in the next book.

Tammy Rob wrote:

I just realized, we never found out if the chieftain's wife was in on the murder plans. I wonder if that comes..."

I am not sure either, although if Konniger himself was a part of it all she may not have been wise to it. He seemed to feel he deserved the role.

Richard Eyres (richardeyres) Just finished the Narration, and loved the book. I agree with others here, it just kept getting better.
I missed a lot of plot points before they were revealed, but i read books to be entertained rather than try to delve too much (did that with Wheel of Time in the day - and vowed never to again). I like all the plot twists/reveals.
As for killing of Gryndal - this pleases me a lot. He was a little 1 dimensional, while a lot of his other characters were a lot more rounded. Hopefully we will get someone who is essentially not a racist megalomaniac.

I believed Konnigers wife was in on the power grab, but i honestly thought she did not know about the murders. I remember listening that Persephone talked to her and explained that he was killed by the bear, and she did not mentioned that he tried to kill her. I think she was trying to give the woman some comfort that was denied her.

Roll on the next book - in a years time (gah!)

Suzanne | 1582 comments Hmm...I'm going to vote no on the wife being part of the plot. However, if she were part of it, then it is even better with the explanation that her husband was killed by the bear :)

message 20: by John (new)

John Bays | 1 comments So here's what i think after reading this book.- All spoilers

1. Raithe is the first Teshlor knight

2. Malcolm is Kile

3. Trilos could very well be Yolric

4. Arion is the first embodiment of the elven soul inhabiting lady dulgath

5. Tekchin very obviously has something to do with the pickerings.

Suzanne | 1582 comments I can't wait to see if you are right!