Never Too Old For Y.A. & N.A. Books discussion

July: Retellings

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sylvia (last edited Jun 29, 2016 02:45AM) (new)

Sylvia  | 13086 comments Mod
Our seventh theme for the Monthly Challenge is:

Retellings

All that is required for this challenge is to read as many books as you can pertaining to Retellings of a story. Whether it be a fairytale, myth or legend, it's up to you. Here are some examples of books:

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer Splintered (Splintered, #1) by A.G. Howard The Shadow Queen (Ravenspire, #1) by C.J. Redwine Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die, #1) by Danielle Paige Reign of Shadows (Reign of Shadows, #1) by Sophie Jordan Beastly (Beastly, #1, Kendra Chronicles, #1) by Alex Flinn Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe #1) by Rosamund Hodge The Wrath & the Dawn (The Wrath & the Dawn, #1) by Renee Ahdieh Alice in Zombieland (White Rabbit Chronicles, #1) by Gena Showalter Scarlet (Scarlet, #1) by A.C. Gaughen The Great Hunt (Eurona Duology, #1) by Wendy Higgins A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas

Please sign up on the homepage when the challenge opens, labelling your folder Retellings...https://www.goodreads.com/challenges/...
...then post the link in this discussion post so we can discuss each others' selection of books.

I hope you all take the time to see how many books you can read related to this theme. It definitely will be fun trying.
Happy Reading!

message 2: by Karen (last edited Jul 18, 2016 10:48AM) (new)

Karen (karenarrowood) | 167 comments This will be fun! Going to get to pick from a folder I already have on retellings...https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 3: by Deb (new)

Deb (dlmetzler) I love retellings, so I'm really excited to get started. I'm going on vacation tomorrow for 10 days, so I should be able to knock quite a few books off my list:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 4: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 7239 comments Mod
How are we doin8doing with this? Are there a lot of good retellings out there?

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenarrowood) | 167 comments I am so behind on this one... only reading my second book now.

message 6: by Tracy (new)

Karen wrote: "I am so behind on this one... only reading my second book now."

You're doing better than I am. Not a big fan of retellings.

message 7: by MadameZelda (new)

MadameZelda I'm also not a fan of retellings.

message 8: by Tracy (new)

MadameZelda wrote: "I'm also not a fan of retellings."

Sad isn't it. I just can't find any I like. I think out of the 30 I have tried I may have liked 1.

message 9: by MadameZelda (new)

MadameZelda @Tracy. Yes, I've read several and DNF.

message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenarrowood) | 167 comments I'm going to go out on a limb here, and recommend Katy Regnery's modern retellings: The Vixen and The Vet, Never Let You Go, and Ginger's Heart. They are excellent, IMO.

message 11: by Tracy (new)

Karen wrote: "I'm going to go out on a limb here, and recommend Katy Regnery's modern retellings: The Vixen and The Vet, Never Let You Go, and Ginger's Heart. They are excellent, IMO."

Never heard of them Karen. I will check them out.

message 12: by Karen (last edited Aug 01, 2016 04:02AM) (new)

Karen (karenarrowood) | 167 comments I only got the 2 books finished for this. Bummer. I am still reading The Shadow Queen, and I just downloaded Splintered last night.
Reign of Shadows, The Collector's Society and Alice in Zombieland are still sitting on my bookshelf..... Oh well, maybe next time.

message 13: by Tracy (new)

Karen wrote: "I only got the 2 books finished for this. Bummer. I am still reading The Shadow Queen, and I just downloaded Splintered last night.
Reign of Shadows, The Collector's Society and Alice in Zombielan..."

Two is better than none Karen.