Play Book Tag discussion

The Girls
This topic is about The Girls
Archive: Other Books > The Girls by Emma Cline - 2 stars

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Megalion | 484 comments The premise was appealing, I was looking forward to reading it.

However, I stalled out quickly at 12%. The narrative style grated too much that I really didn't want to read any more of the book regardless of the story.

Several of my fellow ARC readers also had trouble getting into the book.

Seems to me that this is one of those books that will result in a big divide between readers for the sheer fact that I'm sure many will also be turned off by the writing style.

But this is no reason to pass on the book. My assessment is, if you get several chapters in and are engaged in the story, yay for you! If you are struggling, then don't feel bad, you are far from being alone.

Some writing styles just aren't for everyone.

Note: Because I had trouble with the way the story was being told, I can't offer any opinion about the story itself.

Thanks to the publisher for the free copy of this book in exchange for this honest review.

Anita Pomerantz | 6671 comments Dang.

I'm just about to start this, so now I'm worried. But I committed to read it with a friend, AND another woman loaned it to me (so at least I didn't spend money on it) . . .so feel I have to. Hope I like it more.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Anita wrote: "Dang.

I'm just about to start this, so now I'm worried. But I committed to read it with a friend, AND another woman loaned it to me (so at least I didn't spend money on it) . . .so feel I have to...."

I have this coming up shortly on my TBR, I'll be looking for your review. It's a library book, I don't feel obligated to read it.

Megalion | 484 comments Hope so Anita. Really did want to enjoy this.

message 5: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3831 comments Oh no! Another negative review. Who knows when I'll get to it, but I feel like I may be the only one here to like it.

Megalion | 484 comments Who knows? It's been highly publicized. And there ARE good reviews for it.

Kristel (kristelh) | 699 comments I am getting a free copy, too bad about 2 not so good reviews. Oh well. I will try because sometimes I am the odd one out.

message 8: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6671 comments I'm holding out on this. It sounds interesting but hasn't hooked me into must read status. So I'm really paying attention to reviews.

Jennifer Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments It's 3.8 stars on goodreads and there are some good reviews. I think pbt reviewers might be a little more discerning than the average GR reviewer.