Beatdom discussion

The Beats Abroad: A Global Guide to the Beat Generation
This topic is about The Beats Abroad
31 views
Favourite Beat Destination?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David (beatdom) | 62 comments Mod
I'd like to know what Beat locations you've visited and most enjoyed. By "Beat location" or "Beat destination" I mean someplace visited by members of the Beat Generation, rather than someplace you just thought felt Beat or had a particularly bohemian feel.

For me, it was Big Sur. I visited in 2007 and absolutely loved it. I'd read Kerouac's books, including Big Sur, several times in the previous years and hiking and camping out at Big Sur really added another layer of understanding.

Runner up is Angkor Wat in Cambodia, which was visited by Allen Ginsberg. To be honest, though, both my trip and Ginsberg's trip were fairly short and so it can't top Big Sur. I'll head back in a few weeks and spend a bit more time among the temples.


message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 35 comments Any beat locations in the UK?


message 3: by David (new)

David (beatdom) | 62 comments Mod
There are plenty of them. Burroughs and Ginsberg travelled quite a bit in the UK, as did others including Corso.


message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen Marie | 2 comments I haven't visited many but Desolation Peak is pretty much at the top of my list. Has anyone been? Apparently there is still a fire lookout there.


message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 35 comments David wrote: "There are plenty of them. Burroughs and Ginsberg travelled quite a bit in the UK, as did others including Corso."

not really seen any mention of them over here, The UK makes a big thing of English authors, you can visit a lot of houses and the places they used to hang out.


message 6: by David (new)

David (beatdom) | 62 comments Mod
Karen wrote: "I haven't visited many but Desolation Peak is pretty much at the top of my list. Has anyone been? Apparently there is still a fire lookout there."

I've not been.

This recent NYT article might be of interest to you: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/24/opi...


message 7: by David (new)

David (beatdom) | 62 comments Mod
Jason wrote:
not really seen any mention of them over here, The UK makes a big th..."


I'm writing a book about Ginsberg's travels and he managed to see lots of England. He was very interested, though, in visiting places where the great English authors had been - Blake and Wordsworth, etc. He also got over to Wales and Ireland, and Burroughs visited Edinburgh a few times in addition to his years in London.


message 8: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 35 comments I look forward to that book, visited a few of the old authors places.


message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason Robinson (goodreadscomairliner) | 4 comments From "the other Jason" :) City Lights Bookstore/ North Beach, San Fran, Greenwich Village, NYC


message 10: by David (new)

David (beatdom) | 62 comments Mod
Jason wrote: "From "the other Jason" :) City Lights Bookstore/ North Beach, San Fran, Greenwich Village, NYC"

Ah, of course! City Lights! That has to be one of the best destinations. What a wonderful place to visit. I managed to get there in 2007 and 2010, and thoroughly enjoyed looking around, as well as a visit to Vesuvios and Toscas. What a place!


message 11: by Seth (new)

Seth Kupchick (goodreadscomseth_kupchick) | 41 comments I'm from California so in some ways my entire adolescence/young adulthood was spent in a perpetual search for Beat destinations, and most lead me to North Beach (City Lights), or Big Sur, opposite sides of the same coin. I'd spend whole nights in City Lights reading books like Rimbaud's "A Sesaon in Hell," or the selected works of Antonin Artaud, and these were hard to find in the '80's.

I really felt my life became fictional when I met Hal Chase, and saw his outpost in Paso Robles, California, not far from Big Sur. I'd read, or imagined, Beat Destinations my whole life, and then I literally found what I considered to be the last unknown one, and it made me feel like an archaeologist and anthropologist.


message 12: by Johnny (new)

Johnny D | 11 comments I've been to Angkor Wat, but only really got a tourism vibe there to be honest.

Have also been to San Francisco - City Lights and Vesuvios were very cool, but the place that stood out for me was Caffe Trieste! I visited in 2014 and there were still a few old timer beats knocking about. The place also serves a mean coffee at a reasonable price. Take a seat outside, roll up a cigarette, sip your coffee, and soak up the history that resides there.


message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen Marie | 2 comments David wrote: "Karen wrote: "I haven't visited many but Desolation Peak is pretty much at the top of my list. Has anyone been? Apparently there is still a fire lookout there."

I've not been.

This recent NYT ar..."


Thank you!


message 14: by David (new)

David Corvine (davidcorvine) | 8 comments Hotel Muniria, Tangier, Morocco.


message 15: by Barry (new)

Barry (massedgadgetsofhercules) | 3 comments this a real bucket list! I intend to make it to Northport, NY to drink in the bar where Jack spent his last few years. It's only an hour from me and a nice coastal village.


message 16: by David (new)

David (beatdom) | 62 comments Mod
Barry wrote: "this a real bucket list! I intend to make it to Northport, NY to drink in the bar where Jack spent his last few years. It's only an hour from me and a nice coastal village."

Only an hour? That sounds like a great idea.


message 17: by Brian (new)

Brian | 1 comments Back when I was in the Air Force, I spent a couple years stationed at Vandenberg, an hour's drive north of Santa Barbara. I used to sit on cold, foggy Surf Beach near the railroad tracks and imagine the little St. Theresa bum riding the Midnight Ghost and freezing. I don't know if you'd consider that a beat spot, but I do. Dharma Bums is one of my favorite books.


message 18: by Seth (new)

Seth Kupchick (goodreadscomseth_kupchick) | 41 comments Brian wrote: "Back when I was in the Air Force, I spent a couple years stationed at Vandenberg, an hour's drive north of Santa Barbara. I used to sit on cold, foggy Surf Beach near the railroad tracks and imagin..."

The opening of Dharma Bums is one of the most hopeful portraits of a hobo's life. I forget the name of the famous mountain range Kerouac wrote about, but I went hiking there.


message 19: by Seth (new)

Seth Kupchick (goodreadscomseth_kupchick) | 41 comments A coney island of the mind.


message 20: by David (new)

David (beatdom) | 62 comments Mod
Seth wrote: "the famous mountain range"

Is that the Cascades?


back to top