What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > fantasy court intrigue w/ gay character

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (new)

Nick | 11 comments I'm looking for recommendations for a book where the plot heavy revolves around court intrigue and has a gay main character or a gay POV character or at least a very prominent minor character. Also, I don't care much for romance, unless it is a minor point or subplot in the overall storyline.
A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) is my favorite fantasy series if that gives any indication towards the type and style of fantasy story I like.
I've tried searching online, but I've mostly only gotten results for fantasy court intrigue without gay characters.
Thanks for any help!

message 2: by Aymee (new)

Aymee (asphaltcowgrrl) | 38 comments I just finished Richard K. Morgan's The Steel Remains. One of the main POV characters, Ringil, is gay and unashamed. There are three books in the series and I have the second The Cold Commands on loan from the library. And now that I reread your post, there might not be enough court intrigue in this series for you, but I really enjoyed it.

Also, there aren't any gay characters in this as far as I remember, but if you want an excellent fantasy series, try Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series.

message 3: by Aerulan (last edited Jun 29, 2016 06:55PM) (new)

Aerulan | 1239 comments Maybe Swordspoint and it's sequels by Ellen Kushner? It's not quite the level of wide scale political maneuvering you'd get from GoT but there's a fair bit of court intrigue from what I recall.

Another one maybe worth taking a look at is the series that starts with The Rifter Book One: The Shattered Gates series by Ginn Hale. There's plenty of intrigue from a lot of different groups (amongst members of various factions, religious orders, rebels, etc, so not just "court" intrigue) and the story is impressively convoluted given how perfectly it all comes together at the end. Fair warning there's some fairly graphic violence and creepy gore in it.

ETA just thought of this one. The Chosen by Richard Pinto. Haven't read it, but it's somewhere in my to-be-read mountain .

Annnnnd for just good fantasy though I don't recall any gay characters specifically (but it's been years) I'd also suggest The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.

ETA again there's also the Nightrunner series starting with Luck in the Shadows by Lynn Flewelling. The MCs are both gay and spies/operatives in a fantasy world, less court intrigue specifically, but very good reads you might enjoy.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Winters | 130 comments I think you'd really like the Doctrine of Labyrinths series by Sarah Monette (Melusine, The Virtu, The Mirador and Corambis). Or perhaps The Tawny Man trilogy by Robin Hobb (Fool's Errand, Golden Fool and Fool's Fate)

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36033 comments Mod
Nick, it sounds like you're looking for a type of book, not one specific book you remember reading or hearing about. So I've moved your request to the Requests: for books in general folder.