Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

House of Chains (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4)
This topic is about House of Chains

Comments Showing 1-50 of 170 (170 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
Discussion for House of Chains.

message 2: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
So I'm hoping this is a convergence of both sets of characters especially since Midnight Tides is going to be a completely new set of characters with the story around the Tiste Edur.

Lundos | 392 comments Without spoiling too much about the intro:
(view spoiler)

message 4: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lundos wrote: "Without spoiling too much about the intro:
[spoilers removed]"

That's so cool! Conan is awesome.

Tracey the Lizard Queen | 117 comments Out of the almost 6 books I've read in this series, HoC is probably my least favourite, but it contains some of the most memorable characters!

message 6: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tracey the Lizard Queen wrote: "Out of the almost 6 books I've read in this series, HoC is probably my least favourite, but it contains some of the most memorable characters!"

Well I suppose having the memorable characters balanaces it out a bit - at some point there needs to be a "least favourite" one. Out of the first three, I don't think I could choose which one I liked the least; they were all fantastic!

message 7: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kallor is the one I hate the most and it's not even close including the Crippled God.

message 8: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott wrote: "Kallor is the one I hate the most and it's not even close including the Crippled God."

Kallor is awful.

Tracey the Lizard Queen | 117 comments You'll have enough to choose from in books 5 and 6!

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 8 comments Oh man, can't wait till you guys meet Karsa Orlong! Witness...

message 11: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am going to start House of Chains tomorrow because I don't really want to start a new book before Wednesday and Scott finished way before me with MOI.

message 12: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna wrote: "I am going to start House of Chains tomorrow because I don't really want to start a new book before Wednesday and Scott finished way before me with MOI."

Cheater! :)

I started Beyond Redemption yesterday so I'll wait until the 6th. Anybody who is a fan of GrimDark has to read this. Very different and so not what I was expecting in a good way.

Tracey the Lizard Queen | 117 comments Scott wrote: "Jenna wrote: "I am going to start House of Chains tomorrow because I don't really want to start a new book before Wednesday and Scott finished way before me with MOI."

Cheater! :)

I started [book..."

I love Beyond Redemption! Its gross and funny and dark. Perfect grimdark!

message 14: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tracey the Lizard Queen wrote: "I love Beyond Redemption! Its gross and funny and dark. Perfect grimdark!"

All of that plus I wasn't expecting the psychology, philosophy, sociology and theology points most of which are completely irreverent to most current theories and bare minimum poke fun at them.

message 15: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott wrote: "Cheater! :)"

Haha, sorry!

I put Beyond Redemption on my to-read list.

message 16: by Eric (new) - rated it 1 star

Eric | 101 comments Hey sorry I've been going between Austin and Dallas to move stuff so I haven't been able to read much the last week. I'm still on Memories of Ice but I'll try to catch up to you guys. I'm also going on a cruise next week so I'll probably get more behind. :(

message 17: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric wrote: "Hey sorry I've been going between Austin and Dallas to move stuff so I haven't been able to read much the last week. I'm still on Memories of Ice but I'll try to catch up to you guys. I'm also goin..."

It's alright. Have fun on your cruise!

message 18: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

So the listing on this book was coming up as 676 pages. I downloaded the Kindle version this morning and it was to my surprise 1022 pages which is a hundred pages longer than MOI!!!!!

So I did a quick lookup and it's in fact only 85% of the work count of MOI but 12% longer than DHG. So in other words another epic monster.

Obviously it's just that much more awesomeness but I'll be hard pressed with some of the other reading to maintain my MOI pace (Jenna applauds).

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 8 comments Kind of a cool thing about HoC is that it follows only one POV for the first quarter or so of the book. Kind of threw me off at first, but it was, in typical Erikson fashion, bad ass. I wonder if he did it just to prove he could write a single POV

message 20: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott wrote: "So the listing on this book was coming up as 676 pages. I downloaded the Kindle version this morning and it was to my surprise 1022 pages which is a hundred pages longer than MOI!!!!!

So I did a q..."

Jenna does applaud! :)

message 21: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott wrote: "Kind of a cool thing about HoC is that it follows only one POV for the first quarter or so of the book. Kind of threw me off at first, but it was, in typical Erikson fashion, bad ass. I wonder if h..."

I would honestly be totally fine with Karsa Orlong as the POV for the whole book. He is great so far. I'm on chapter 2.

At first, when someone said the name "Karsa," I thought he was a she. I'm sure Karsa Orlong would be utterly horrified by my assumption.

Tracey the Lizard Queen | 117 comments Jenna wrote: "Scott wrote: "Kind of a cool thing about HoC is that it follows only one POV for the first quarter or so of the book. Kind of threw me off at first, but it was, in typical Erikson fashion, bad ass...."

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought "he" was a "she"!

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 8 comments Karsa is amazing. Easily one of my top 5 characters

message 24: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm done "Book 1." I really like the different style of this book (view spoiler)

message 25: by Eric (new) - rated it 1 star

Eric | 101 comments What!!! That's fast. Is it better than MOI? I'm on 18 but it's a big step down from Deadhouse gates in my opinion. I liked the more personal feelings of the perspectives in deadhouse gates. I wish there were more "quiet" scenes overall to develop the world, rather than constant action or movement such as scenes of normal life or politics to get a feel for the different cultures. You guys mentioned only being one viewpoint for a large part of the book so that sounds great.

message 26: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric wrote: "What!!! That's fast. Is it better than MOI? I'm on 18 but it's a big step down from Deadhouse gates in my opinion. I liked the more personal feelings of the perspectives in deadhouse gates. I wish ..."

It's just really different from MOI so far and I think that when you are doing a series read with a book a month, there does need to be a change up and in HOC, it works really well in my opinion. You definitely get a feel for a different culture as far as I am in the book.

Tracey the Lizard Queen | 117 comments I found that in HoC the perspective begins to change a lot more, you realize the Malazan's are just a tiny piece in an huge puzzle. A puzzle with some amazing characters at the middle of it!

I have to be careful, after a while all the books kinda blur into one long book, so I'll try to be mindful of spoilers.

message 28: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Prologue

(view spoiler)

Chapter one

(view spoiler)

I've started chapter two but according to Kindle the estimated read time is 2.5 hours so I'm not getting through that today.

message 29: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chapter two

(view spoiler)

message 30: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott wrote: "Chapter two"

They are very long chapters, but for me, I was able to read them quicker than some of the other books because I didn't constantly have to keep track of characters and remind myself what was going on.

message 31: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chapter 5: (view spoiler)
Chapter 6: (view spoiler)
very beginning of chapter 7: (view spoiler)

message 32: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Damn you're paying me back for MOI.

message 33: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chapter 3

(view spoiler)

message 34: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott wrote: "Damn you're paying me back for MOI."

Haha, at least I'm trying! I had a 2 hour bus ride today so I thought I'd put a dent in HOC.

message 35: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Jul 07, 2016 07:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott wrote: "Chapter 3"

(view spoiler)

message 36: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chapter 8: (view spoiler)
Chapter 9: (view spoiler)
Chapter 10: (view spoiler)
Chapter 11: (view spoiler)

message 37: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Jul 08, 2016 03:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm through chapter 4 and part one. I'll do a fuller write up but....

(view spoiler)

message 38: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

The rest of chapter 4

(view spoiler)

Start of chapter 5

(view spoiler)

message 39: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna wrote: "I'm done "Book 1." I really like the different style of this book [spoilers removed]"

It grew on me. The second half of book 1 was Malazan at it's best and at the conclusion I see why the first half was the way it was so that you could appreciate the transformation.

message 40: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chapter 5

(view spoiler)

message 41: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna wrote: "Chapter 5

(view spoiler)

message 42: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott wrote: "Jenna wrote: "Chapter 5"

Yeah, we don't know too much about her yet apart from her intellect. (view spoiler)

message 43: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna wrote: "Scott wrote: "Jenna wrote: "Chapter 5"

Yeah, we don't know too much about her yet apart from her intellect. [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 44: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott wrote: "Jenna wrote: "Scott wrote: "Jenna wrote: "Chapter 5"

Yeah, we don't know too much about her yet apart from her intellect. [spoilers removed]"

Seems possible, and I don't want (view spoiler)

message 45: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna wrote: "
Seems possible, and I don't want"

(view spoiler)

message 46: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chapter 6

(view spoiler)

message 47: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna wrote: "Chapter 6."

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(view spoiler)

message 48: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott wrote: "Chapter 6"
(view spoiler)

message 49: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott wrote: "Jenna wrote: "Chapter 6."

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

(view spoiler)

message 50: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna wrote: "Because this is getting ridiculous."

(view spoiler)

« previous 1 3 4