The Gothic Novel Book Club <Hiatus> discussion

Book of the Month > Nominations For BOTM August (Modern)

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trinity (new)

Trinity | 803 comments Mod
It's that time.

message 2: by Trinity (new)

I'm going for it... The Witching Hour

message 3: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Carey (janeefficiency) | 43 comments Not sure if people are interested in these, and they are long as well, but how about Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, or Imajica?

I haven't heard of that Gaiman book, but supporting the encouragement of reading is always great!

I've also been meaning to read The Witching Hour, but my reading has taken a back seat this summer (and my activity here too, unfortunately!) since I'm studying for the GRE, but there are a few books I'm going to use as study aids for vocab and complex sentence structure, etc., like Johnathan Strange, The Fellowship of the Ring, and The Sparrow. I thought Johnathan Strange might be the most appropriate for our group? But whatever is chosen, I'll try to get to it toward the end of August (since I'm taking the test around then). :)

message 4: by Helen (new)

Helen (read247_instyle_inca) (read247_instyle_inca) Sea of Secrets
I am new to the group, but have been eyeing this book by Amanda DeWees.

Follow Oriel's captivating story as it unfolds in Sea of Secrets and see for yourself why this Victorian romantic suspense novel by Amanda DeWees has been so enthusiastically applauded by fans of Victorian mystery, traditional gothic romance, and historical romance alike. Intelligent and courageous, with a dry sense of humor, Oriel is a heroine wise beyond her years yet inexperienced in the ways of the world. You won't want to miss her thrilling journey through the perils of her new life--and the deadly secrets from the past.

message 5: by Trinity (new)

I have never read Anne Rice but was always told I should. Didn't know these were issues. But glad to see it generated other nominations.

message 6: by Trinity (new)

Click-Clack the Rattlebag is only available on Audible. Does everyone have Audible?

message 7: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Carey (janeefficiency) | 43 comments Trinity wrote: "Click-Clack the Rattlebag is only available on Audible. Does everyone have Audible?"

It's also in an anthology, Impossible Monsters, and the reader Q&A section of click-clack's goodreads page has a youtube link of Neil reading it at the New York Public Library, so I included it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imLja.... But purchasing it to help literacy is always great. I'm probably one of the few that doesn't have Audible..

Sea of Secrets definitely looks interesting - sounds like more romance than I usually read, but some of the reviewers say that too and still loved it. Then again I did love Rebecca and quite liked others like The Restorer and Asylum. There's also Silence for the Dead, and The Little Stranger I've been meaning to read. Maybe I'll nominate these in the coming months since I've already suggested a few. I feel like I have 'book-ADD' right now. @.@ (I mean no offense by that)

I've read a few of Anne Rice's vampire novels and really like them, but I do hear they get much more erotic and pedophiliac as it goes on, not sure about the witches though, but it's also my understanding that the two series connect/cross over in later books.

message 8: by S. (new)

S. | 686 comments Mod
I read the entire witch series. gosh it isn't all like that. my goodness. I read it as a teenager. however, I am open to pretty much whatever.

message 9: by S. (new)

S. | 686 comments Mod
ok. one of my GR friends recommended James Herbert, The Dark. I read a few pages and thought.... hmm.. this might fit

message 10: by Natalie (last edited Jul 06, 2016 09:07PM) (new)

Natalie Carey (janeefficiency) | 43 comments Nancy wrote: "i noticed The Sparrow on the list. Isn't it more SciFi?"

Yeah, I wasn't necessarily nominating it, just stating that I'm reading it for study material, and studying is why I haven't been as active lately.. :/

I'm excited to catch up with the reads for the group though once I take my exam! ^.^

message 11: by S. (new)

S. | 686 comments Mod
reviews aren't everything

message 12: by S. (new)

S. | 686 comments Mod
no audible

message 13: by Helen (new)

Helen (read247_instyle_inca) (read247_instyle_inca) Trying again with another new book I have wanted to read:
Listen to Me by Hannah Pittard
"A modern gothic about a marriage and road trip gone hauntingly awry."

message 14: by Trinity (new)

So many nominations!! Makes my heart happy! So I just need to irk someone to garner this many? LOL

I am interested in most of these, excited to see what next month brings!

message 15: by S. (new)

S. | 686 comments Mod
In a Dark, Dark Wood

Peter Straub gave it a pretty good review. That should mean something to those of you who like reviews and such.

message 16: by Trinity (new)

Since there were so many Noms this month, I went with the first book everyone nominated for the poll. Hold on to those others!