Into the Forest discussion

Mythic Fiction > Someplace to be Flying

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 4484 comments Mod
This thread is for Someplace to Be Flying by Charles de Lint!

message 2: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 852 comments Just a few more days & I'll be ready to read along.

message 3: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 3717 comments Mod
I'll also be reading in a few more days.

message 4: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2125 comments Mod
I started yesterday but only got the first chapter read.

I don't have the audio for this. Not even an ebook, just paper. So it's likely to take me awhile.

message 5: by Leann (new)

Leann (7leann) | 237 comments I'm starting my Kindle version tonight and likely will take a while to read it too.

message 6: by Leann (new)

Leann (7leann) | 237 comments Lots of characters to keep straight, and compelling from the start.

message 7: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 852 comments Leann wrote: "Lots of characters to keep straight, and compelling from the start."

I agree -- I read the first chapter last night. I am totally sucked into the book with the great writing and story line.

message 8: by Jalilah (last edited Jul 03, 2016 09:19AM) (new)

Leann wrote: "Lots of characters to keep straight, and compelling from the start."

Yes, lots of characters. I like the more realistic thriller-murder mystery aspect to it.

message 9: by Jalilah (new)

And I will never look at crows the same way again after reading this!

message 10: by Melanti (new)

I love the crow girls. They make me smile every time they show up.

message 11: by Leann (new)

Leann (7leann) | 237 comments The crow girls are delightful, I also like Nettie. Can she be my grandmother too?

message 12: by Melanti (last edited Jul 05, 2016 09:44PM) (new)

I should have done yard today instead of reading, but it was close to 100 out, so as soon as I got done mowing, I gave up on doing anything else and just sat around and read instead.

With a fan and endless glasses of ice water, 100 is quite a comfortable reading temperature.

I actually managed to finish today. I thought it was going to take me a bit longer. Slacking off on housework is great for reading, I guess!

Now I just want to spend another day paging through all my Newford collections looking for more bits and pieces of Lily, Katy, and Kerry's stories.

message 13: by Jalilah (last edited Jul 07, 2016 12:44PM) (new)

This is a re-read for me too. (view spoiler) I'd forgotten many of the details. I never wrote a review the first time around and hope to try this time.
I don't think many of the characters in this book are in other stories (view spoiler)
I know the Crow Girls and Margaret are in several other of his short stories.

message 14: by Melanti (new)

It seems like Lily's story starts en media res -- she's already met Jack and on the hunt for animal people... It feels like she ought to have been introduced in a short story before.

The Crow Girls are in several short stories and several other books.

I actually remembered a lot more of the book than I had thought! I read so many of de Lint's books in a really short period of time and ended up getting confused about which story was in which book.

But I definitely remembered the majority of the plot, the Rookery, and, oddly enough - the Crow Girls' cups of "tea".

message 15: by Margaret (new)

I've read through the first part, and am really enjoying it. I agree that Lily's story starts before the beginning of the book--why is she trying to find the animal people before the incident?

I'm also very intrigued by Katy, and can't wait to see more of the crow girls!

message 16: by Jalilah (new)

Melanti wrote: "It seems like Lily's story starts en media res -- she's already met Jack and on the hunt for animal people... It feels like she ought to have been introduced in a short story before.

The Crow Girl..."

Is there a short story with Lily before this book? I don't remember.
I too read any of the Newford books all at once. While I remember most of the stories and characters in the novels, many of the short stories have become blurred.

Professor Dabble, the author of the book that Lily goes to the library for is in mentioned in several of the short stories. I am at that part now.

The one character I find infuriating is Rory! It seems like there is a character like him in every De Lint novel, someone who gets smacked in the head with magic, yet refuses to believe it!
I guess in this type of fiction, which takes place in our world and the magic is under the surface, these types of people are needed for the storyline. But that does not mean I still don't find them annoying!

message 17: by Melanti (new)

Jalilah wrote: "Is there a short story with Lily before this book? I don't remember...."
I don't remember one, but it feels like there should be.
I keep forgetting, but when I get a chance, I'll skim through some of the Newford books to see.

If she does have a story, it'd probably be in the first two anthologies, and maybe the third. Those anthologies were the first Newford books I read, even before Someplace to be Flying so I don't remember for sure.

Yep. Dabble is in several stories, and I think you're about to get Christy again, who's going to allude to Jilly and Geordie.

message 18: by Margaret (new)

I'm surprised to learn that the crow girls live in a tree at Rory's rental place. If two girls kept climbing in and out of a tree near where I was living and said they lived in the tree, I would climb up after them and make sure they were okay!

Except for that, I like Rory so far, but I haven't gotten to the infuriating bits. :)

message 19: by Jalilah (last edited Jul 08, 2016 05:58PM) (new)

Melanti wrote: " Yep. Dabble is in several stories, and I think you're about to get Christy again, who's going to allude to Jilly and Geordie.
" "

Oh yes, of course Christy Riddle is also in that library scene! How could I have forgotten!

Margaret wrote: "I'm surprised to learn that the crow girls live in a tree at Rory's rental place. If two girls kept climbing in and out of a tree near where I was living and said they lived in the tree, I would cl..."

Don't get me wrong, Rory's a nice guy. I don't hate him or anything, just find that aspect of him very annoying! :)

I believe besides the Pacific Northwest First Nations creation myth of Raven creating the world I think there are a number of myths.
There is the coyote trickster myth and I've read there is also Celtic mythology in it. I am not sure which part though.

message 20: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 852 comments Had time to sit and read for quite a bit yesterday. I am now just over halfway in the book. Excellent. I haven't read much de lint, but look forward to finding the characters in more of his stories.

message 21: by Leann (last edited Jul 11, 2016 11:47AM) (new)

Leann (7leann) | 237 comments I'm almost to the halfway point now and enjoying it! Interesting revelations about Nettie!

message 22: by Margaret (new)

I'm halfway through as well.

What I like about de Lint's adult novels is that they don't feel forced. As a writer, I tend to look for how a writer constructs the story, and while I know de Lint must construct the story, it doesn't feel that way. Each scene feels organic, not like 'here's the next plot point I need to get across.' It's odd, I really don't know how he puts his stories together! But I love the style!

In the first section about Nettie, when Jack goes to Chloe's house and other people are living there, I thought de Lint has probably written about those other people at some point. It's very cool to think how rich the world is (in characters and stories).

message 23: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 852 comments Finished, wow -- this was the perfect read for me at this time. Loved this book.

message 24: by Leann (last edited Jul 11, 2016 11:54AM) (new)

Leann (7leann) | 237 comments Margaret wrote: "It's very cool to think how rich the world is (in characters and stories)."

I was thinking the same thing. Brilliant.

reply | flag *

message 25: by Jalilah (last edited Jul 11, 2016 01:22PM) (new)

I've been looking around on the internet trying to see if any of the characters are in other stories and came across this:
http://newford.wikia.com/wiki/Corbae
The site looks to be incomplete and they are looking for help. If I were more internet savvy I might volunteer!

With the exception of the Crow girls who are in a few short stories, most of the main characters debut in this book for the first time. It's more the case that many of the side characters like Christy Riddle or characters that are mentioned like Geordy Riddle, Jilly and Professor Dapple are in other stories.

The series is indeed very rich and definitely worth a second reading. Up to now the only ones I've re-read are Memory and Dream, Forests of the Heart and now this one. With each read I notice more details and make more connections.

message 26: by Melanti (last edited Jul 12, 2016 07:39AM) (new)

Jalilah wrote: "With each read I notice more details and make more connections. ..."

Definitely! I notice more each time - especially since the first time around I read in whatever order I could get my hands on, so I definitely missed connections!

My only problem is I can't read too much de Lint all at once or I don't enjoy them as much. So, although I went through the whole series initially in a couple of months, a full re-read will take years.

I just spent an hour or so flipping through my Newford anthologies and some of the other characters show up, but not Lily. There were other photographers, but not Lily.

Though, admittedly, I didn't look at every page - I just skimmed a handful of pages from each story, looking for the main character's names - so it's possible she's a minor character in another story, but I didn't find it.

There is a Kerry in one short story - but as she seems to be running an occult shop, that might just be a separate character of the same name.

message 27: by Jalilah (last edited Jul 12, 2016 05:39PM) (new)

Melanti wrote: "My only problem is I can't read too much de Lint all at once or I don't enjoy them as much. So, although I went through the whole series initially in a couple of months, a full re-read will take years."

With the exception of a few series or trilogies, I usually like to switch up authors and read different ones. In the case of De Lint's novels, it's definitely the case that I wouldn't read another one right afterwards. They are quite rich and always leave me with a lot to think about. I have not written many reviews for his novels for this reason. I'd hope to do so this time around.

message 28: by Margaret (new)

Spotted Alan Grant from Memory and Dream! Donna mentions him in an email to Lily about the book Kickaha Wings. His publishing company published it.

message 29: by Jalilah (last edited Jul 15, 2016 12:13PM) (new)

Margaret wrote: "Spotted Alan Grant from Memory and Dream! Donna mentions him in an email to Lily about the book Kickaha Wings. His publishing company published it."

That's right!

BTW in case anyone doesn't know already, Someplace to Be Flying is on the Endicott Mythic Fiction list.

message 30: by Margaret (new)

I want to say, I'm really enjoying this, should finish up by Sunday, but there's one thing that's bothering me: (view spoiler)

message 31: by Jalilah (last edited Jul 16, 2016 11:04AM) (new)

It's interesting to note De Lint has taken the characteristics of different birds. I've always like birds, but did know the nesting habits of cuckoos http://io9.gizmodo.com/5785233/nest-s.... In the case of (view spoiler) Be sure to watch the video of the baby cuckoo in the article!

message 32: by Margaret (new)

Jalilah wrote: "It's interesting to note De Lint has taken the characteristics of different birds. I've always like birds, but did know the nesting habits of cuckoos http://io9.gizmodo.com/5785233/nest-s......"

Wow, that poor warbler! Even though I knew that baby cuckoos did that, it's amazing to watch the video.

Cowbirds steal nests and eject eggs, as well as sometimes house sparrows.

(view spoiler)

message 33: by Melanti (new)

I agree, wow!

I conceptually knew that Cuckoos did that, but to see it is something else! The Cuckoo chicks will do the same thing to any other birds that hatch first.

message 34: by Leann (new)

Leann (7leann) | 237 comments That video is heartbreaking! It sheds much light on De Lint's characters. I knew about cowbirds' shenanigans, they must be close cousins to the cuckoos. Little house sparrows seem too innocent for that kind of behavior, ha. The sociopaths of the bird kingdom...

message 35: by Jalilah (last edited Jul 16, 2016 11:45AM) (new)

Margaret in regards to what you say: (view spoiler)

Yes, the Corbae(view spoiler)
As for Jack , don't read this until you have finished the book: (view spoiler)

message 36: by Leann (new)

Leann (7leann) | 237 comments I finally have a weekend off so should finish the book and read these spoilers soon!

message 37: by Margaret (new)

Jalilah wrote: "Margaret in regards to what you say: [spoilers removed]

Yes, the Corbae[spoilers removed]
As for Jack , don't read this until you have finished the book: [spoilers removed]"

I'm finished now!

(view spoiler)

What bird is Margaret? I realized I didn't remember at the end!

The stories that resonated the most with me were Nettie's, Jack's, Kerry's, and Katy's. I wish I'd gotten more from them, too. (view spoiler)

I mentioned this in my review as well, but I thought Lily and Hank's character motivations and arcs were pretty weak compared to the other characters. And I agree about Rory now! Wow!

This also made me think about what bird I would be--haha! I can't decide between a purple finch, a goldfinch, and an indigo bunting. Or maybe a towhee. Actually, I really like rabbits, so I'm probably not a bird-human at all (though I am a bird watcher, and love birds). Just adding a bit of silliness to this discussion. :) What animal people would you be?

message 38: by Jalilah (last edited Jul 17, 2016 06:49PM) (new)

Margaret wrote: "I'm finished now!(view spoiler)
What bird is Margaret? I realized I didn't remember at the end!

I also thought the part(view spoiler)
Margaret is (view spoiler)

"The stories that resonated the most with me were Nettie's, Jack's, Kerry's, and Katy's. I wish I'd gotten more from them, too. (view spoiler)"
(view spoiler)
There are a number of characters in many of De Lint's novels that I'd like to read more about. I plan on eventually re-reading all of the Newford books, so that I could look out to see if any of the characters are mentioned. Like Melanti I like to take a break in between De Lint's adult novels, but I am in the mood to revisit some of his short stories soon.

"I mentioned this in my review as well, but I thought Lily and Hank's character motivations and arcs were pretty weak compared to the other characters."

I actually really liked Hank and Lily's story.

" And I agree about Rory now! Wow!"
Yeah I know!

"What animal people would you be?"

I definitely have more affinity with birds. I've always loved them and perhaps this is part of the reason I enjoyed this book so.
I don't know what type I'd be though.

message 39: by Margaret (new)

I can't believe I forgot about Margaret! One of my aunts calls me that. :)

(view spoiler)

message 40: by Leann (new)

Leann (7leann) | 237 comments Wow! So much to digest. There is a lot of (view spoiler)

Lots to say about morality and faith too.

The dog is great. (view spoiler)

The scene with the (view spoiler) Anyone remember that one?

I'm looking forward to reading more about these characters.

That dance is beautiful. What a smart bird.

Is it weird that I want to wear a crow necklace now?

As a bird-person, I might be a cardinal or bluebird.

message 41: by Margaret (new)

Leann wrote: "Wow! So much to digest. There is a lot of [spoilers removed]

Lots to say about morality and faith too.

The dog is great. [spoilers removed]

The scene with the [spoilers removed] Anyone remember ..."

Part of the reason the Morgan scene made me so uncomfortable is everything going on in the US right now.

Do you think the dog would agree to riding in the car?

And it's definitely not weird to want a crow necklace, or if it is, I'm with you! I pretty much like birds on anything!

message 42: by Leann (last edited Jul 19, 2016 04:08PM) (new)

Leann (7leann) | 237 comments Margaret wrote: Part of the reason the Morgan scene made me so uncomfortable is everything...

Yeah, this made me more sensitive to it for sure.

The dog lead the way (view spoiler) :)

Crow necklaces all around! It's how we'll recognize each other in real life.

message 43: by Jalilah (last edited Jul 20, 2016 05:48AM) (new)

Leann wrote: "Wow! So much to digest. There is a lot of .."
Leann, no, it's not at all weird to wear a crow necklace! Like Margaret, I'd wear one too!
There are some nice pictures here, but I think you have to be on Facebook to view them
3 Crows
https://www.facebook.com/wendydavisph...
Bluejay https://www.facebook.com/groups/crows...
They are from this group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/crows...

message 44: by Leann (new)

Leann (7leann) | 237 comments I couldn't see the bluejay, but the three crows picture is fantastic!

message 45: by Jalilah (new)

Leann wrote: "I couldn't see the bluejay, but the three crows picture is fantastic!"

I can't see the blue jay anymore either. I think it's set that only people in the FB group can see it. Many of the photos in the group are from this page https://www.facebook.com/wendydavisph...

Regarding the dog (view spoiler)

Regarding Jack and the Morgans (view spoiler)

Regarding (view spoiler)

message 46: by Leann (last edited Jul 20, 2016 03:35PM) (new)

Leann (7leann) | 237 comments Some bluebirds for you all. Yeah, I know they aren't in the story, but they are so pretty.
http://feathertailedstories.blogspot....
This guy has great bird pictures of all sorts on his blog!

The movie was one of my favorites at the time. Does it hold up? Not sure. It is partly a romance and I had more tolerance for those back then. I'd give it another gander for free.

message 47: by Margaret (new)

Leann wrote: "Some bluebirds for you all. Yeah, I know they aren't in the story, but they are so pretty.
http://feathertailedstories.blogspot....
This guy has great bird pictures of..."

I love bluebirds! :)