The Sword and Laser discussion

Fran Wilde
This topic is about Fran Wilde
Podcasts > S&L Podcast - #260 - Why Young Adult is for Everyone w/ Fran Wilde

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1721 comments Mod
Fran Wilde talks to us about Updraft, how she was inspired to create the bone city, and why she doesn't mind the young adult label but it doesn't always mean what people say it means.

http://swordandlaser.com/home/2016/6/...

message 2: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4211 comments It's not in my downcast feed yet! I has a sad. :(

message 3: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6912 comments Mod
Yeah, took a few to get into my feed, but it's there now.

I always double take when I hear my voice at the start of a podcast..

message 4: by Sky (new)

Sky | 665 comments You have a nice deep voice Rob :)

message 5: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

We could use more Patreon ads if anyone is interested!

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 433 comments @Veronica I might be working on something for that.

message 7: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2552 comments What length and link should be used for the intro ads?

message 8: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Mark, the shorter the better! 10-20 secs I'd say.

message 9: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Did you folks like the new way we did the intro? With a little more info about the book / author?

message 10: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2552 comments Veronica wrote: "Did you folks like the new way we did the intro? With a little more info about the book / author?"

Yes. The more detailed intro was a good lead in to a really interesting interview. Good job!

message 11: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Veronica wrote: "We could use more Patreon ads if anyone is interested!"

But this runs counter to my mad grab for power..

message 12: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4211 comments Totally loved this episode! There was so much she brought up that I want to follow-up on. Thank goodness for show notes. ;)

message 13: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (mango_colours) | 10 comments I really enjoyed this episode. I mean, I always enjoy S&L but I had no expectations about Fran as an interviewee and I was pleasantly rewarded.

message 14: by Darren (new)

Darren Really enjoyed this interview.

message 15: by Greg (new)

Greg | 83 comments Rob wrote: "Veronica wrote: "We could use more Patreon ads if anyone is interested!"

But this runs counter to my mad grab for power.."

You could submit more as a mad grab for power.

Awesome interview, plus I now have another podcast to listen to, some of the interviews she has at cooking the books look really interesting.

message 16: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Hmm..like a sequel ad. Power Grab 2: This time it's less funny..

message 17: by Joanna Chaplin (new)

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments Really good episode! I particularly like her definition of what constitutes young adult.

message 18: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments That was very interesting.

I didn't mean for my question to sound accusatory. It's just that the similarities between Updraft and Windhaven are striking.

From the main character, her goals, her mom, their situation, the class structure, the wings, the singers, flying competitions, a scarcity society, even specific plot points... some of it seemed like she had read that book and said, "What if they did this instead?" Or perhaps spun that story forward a few hundred years.

message 19: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1171 comments I thought the same thing Trike, especially when I first started. Windhaven with some Hunger Games and maybe a little Dragonsong thrown in.

message 20: by Darren (new)

Darren Trike wrote: "That was very interesting.

I didn't mean for my question to sound accusatory. It's just that the similarities between Updraft and Windhaven are striking.

From the main character, her..."

Except for the wings, they're really not that similar. Everyone can try to earn their wings, in the towers. Not so in Windhaven, until after Maris is branded a thief and Corm calls all the fliers together to outcast her. And even after, barely any can earn their wings.

And about those wings. In the towers, they make new wings all the time. For the fliers of Windhaven, every pair of wings lost to the sea or the cliffs is lost forever. They were made from the solar sails used to propel their long-gone ancestors from Earth, and that technology is long lost by the time the story opens.

The worlds are totally different. Yeah, they're scarcity societies, but one is in the clouds with water drunk in meager sips, and the other is windswept archipelagoes on a world nearly entirely ocean.

Yes, both have singers, but the singers are the ruling class in Updraft. While influential in Windhaven, and respected, they do not enact or interpret the laws, as the Landsmen do. Nor are they a caste, in the way the Singers of the Spire are.

Both books do have female protagonists pitted against the ruling class, but Maris fights as hard as she can to become a flier, where Kirit does everything in her power to not become a Singer, and still they bring her in. Also, where Kirit is unswerving in the rightness of her actions, which seems borne out by the plot, Maris spends much of the book in doubt about the cost of her youthful rebellion. The consequences of her seeming victory early on are socially and personally devastating to her, and to her society.

message 21: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments They aren't exact, but the overlap on the Venn diagram of the two books is pretty significant. Windhaven is flat while Updraft is towering and other details are different, but the latter reads like a slight what-if of the former.

Phil wrote: "I thought the same thing Trike, especially when I first started. Windhaven with some Hunger Games and maybe a little Dragonsong thrown in."

It feels kind of like what Lucas did with Star Wars: he couldn't get the rights to Flash Gordon, so he made his own version. He basically took the same characters and gave them a slight tweak (Luke/Flash, Ben/Zarkov, Leia/Dale+Aura, Han/Barin, Chewie/Thun, etc.) and mixing it with Hidden Fortress to make something slightly different. But you can still see the imprint of the source material.

Windhaven came out a long time ago. I was still in nigh school when I read it, and I graduated 33 years ago, so I wonder if Wilde read it as a kid and simply forgot about it. I've done that.

message 22: by Darren (last edited Jul 02, 2016 05:19PM) (new)

Darren Trike wrote: "They aren't exact, but the overlap on the Venn diagram of the two books is pretty significant. Windhaven is flat while Updraft is towering and other details are different, but the latter reads like..."

Macross/Robotech also had singers and fliers, and depending on your interpretation of that first episode, was post-apocalyptic. Also involved colonists from other worlds. I could cram that show in the same Venn diagram, but they're nothing alike.

The wings are pretty much the beginning and the end of the similarities.

message 23: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments The sky is blue.

message 24: by Darren (new)

Darren As is the sea.

message 25: by Minsta (new)

Minsta | 106 comments Great interview and interviewee :)

I liked her shout out to Anderson's novel Feed - this could be a future Sword and Laser pick (if it hasn't been already).

message 26: by Joanna Chaplin (new)

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments Minsta wrote: "Great interview and interviewee :)

I liked her shout out to Anderson's novel Feed - this could be a future Sword and Laser pick (if it hasn't been already)."

I both liked and disliked that book. The slang took some getting used to. But it had nifty ideas.