Reading with Style discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kate S (last edited Jun 28, 2016 07:21PM) (new)

Kate S | 6266 comments Rosemary
Joanna
Deedee
Sam

ETA: The Official BINGO card

message 2: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6266 comments Welcome to Bingo!

Here is a place to plan your strategy and chat with your team!

message 3: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments Hi Team! :) Can't wait to get started!

message 4: by Rosemary (last edited Jun 29, 2016 05:08AM) (new)

Rosemary | 3125 comments Hello! I'm looking forward to it too. I guess we can start planning? Always a fun part of any challenge :-)

Anyone know what they are planning to read in July? That would help us decide which line to go for. I am planning to cover these tasks at least:

10.6 with London War Notes, 1939-1945
10.10 with Life: A User's Manual
20.4 with Crime and Punishment
20.7 with Reuben Sachs

plus 3 books for the subchallenge 15.4/15.5/15.6, not decided on books yet

message 5: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments I switched some books around over the weekend so I can't remember which books I've got where!

I'm definitely planning to read at least a couple for the sub challenge, and Voices from Chernobyl for 10.10 which also gives combo points. I'm a little less than halfway through Ilium too which has a few combos and jumbo points.

message 6: by Rosemary (last edited Jun 30, 2016 11:03AM) (new)

Rosemary | 3125 comments From what you say Sam, it sounds like we could probably aim to start with square B1 (group reads) and see what the others want to do, whether we go across, down or diagonally from there.

Maybe we should go down, to avoid the canon points? but it depends what you all like to read. I know personally, I could cover LiT much easier than canon. But I have already claimed 10.1.

Or, maybe we should go down from the N and use the free cell...?

If you want to suggest another line or start point, please go ahead and say! I am pretty flexible.

Hopefully Joanna and Deedee will check in tomorrow for the July 1st start.

message 7: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments I'm with you, I think aiming for the vertical B line would be our best bet. It also gives us a pretty good start for any additional bingos after :)

I'm also not great on the canon points; I think I only have two books that qualify in my planned reads, and one is Emma which I wasn't planning on reading until later in the month or August. I have a few LiT ones though.

message 8: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments Oh, and I haven't claimed my square peg yet! I've got a couple books out from the library that would work though and they're really quick reads. I might try to get one of them done this weekend so that we can get that one out of the way early on (plus they're due back soon, haha).

message 9: by Rosemary (last edited Jun 30, 2016 01:25PM) (new)

Rosemary | 3125 comments Perfect. I will start with my 10.2 which is from the Picador list.

I cannot pick up my group read from the library until next week.

message 10: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments My 10.2 book is also from the Picador list, so hopefully Joanna or DeeDee will be able to help with that one. If not I can shuffle things around, I have tons of Margaret Atwood on my shelves that would work.

message 11: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 1519 comments I am not at a real computer, so can't do my organizing tonight, but should be on tomorrow afternoon with plans. I have Atwood slated for 10.2, so can definitely get that one.

message 12: by Joanna (last edited Jul 01, 2016 12:06PM) (new)

Joanna (walker) | 1519 comments Okay, if we are doing the vertical B line:

B1 (Group Reads) - Joanna (1), Rosemary (1), Sam (1)
B2 (Picador/Virago) - Sam or Rosemary (Picador), Joanna (Virago)
B3 (30 LiT) - Rosemary (20), Sam (10)
B4 (10.1 + 15 pt) - Joanna or Rosemary or Sam (15 pt.), Joanna or Sam (10.1)
B5 (40 Review) - first 4 posts for RWS tasks

Or, what about the vertical N?

N1 (25 Jumbo) - Sam Illium (10); Joanna (10), Deedee (5)
N2 (20.4 ea. country) - Joanna (Australia), Rosemary (Russia), Anyone have China?
N3 - FREE
N4 (10.8, 20.8) - Joanna (either)
N5 (3 15 pt) - Joanna, Sam, Rosemary

message 13: by Deedee (last edited Jul 01, 2016 09:27AM) (new)

Deedee | 1983 comments I have a book by Michael Ondaatje I'm planning to start soon (fits 20.10) plus several books that fit 10.7 (including one +05 Jumbo).

I finished last month a book by Margaret Atwood for 10.2 -- too soon to count for this challenge -- she's an amazing author!

message 14: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments Joanna wrote: "Okay, if we are doing the vertical B line:

B1 (Group Reads) - Joanna (1), Rosemary (1), Sam (1)
B2 (Picador/Virago) - Sam or Rosemary (Picador), Joanna (Virago)
B3 (30 LiT) - ????
B4 (10.1 + 15 pt..."

My group read will give us 10 LiT points, and so will Rosemary's. And I try to review all my books so the review points should be easy enough (though my square peg is YA and won't qualify for style points).

For me, the N line will be a little tougher. I'm waiting to get my 20.8 book from a friend, and I just finished my 20.4 book, but I had Australia for that one too. And as much as I'd like to say I'll finish Ilium quickly, it all comes down to how much time I decide to devout to it rather than my other, shorter reads.

message 15: by Rosemary (last edited Jul 01, 2016 09:58AM) (new)

Rosemary | 3125 comments For the B line, my Group Read has LiT points (10). I also have another short book I was planning for 20.1 that has LiT points.

With the reviews, if we do one each, that will make sure everyone is involved in the line. (Unless anyone hates writing reviews!)

If we go for N, my Russia book has 10 LiT points (also 5 jumbo, but it sounds like those are covered with Deedee's).

I do have a China book as well, I wasn't planning to read it but can do if we go for that and nobody else has one. (My China book doesn't have LiT points.)

I would find the N line tougher too.

message 16: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments I'm working on a spreadsheet to keep track of who has what for each square, and so that we can mark them off as we finish, I'll throw it on Google Drive once I'm done :)

So far though, I like how diverse we are in the tasks! I like our odds for multiple bingos! :P

message 17: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 1519 comments Deedee wrote: "I finished last month a book by Margaret Atwood for 10.2 -- too soon to count for this challenge -- she's an amazing author! "

I'm reading the same one as you -- The Heart Goes Last. I just started it this morning...I'm actually listening to it as an audiobook during my commute and chores and such.

message 18: by Joanna (last edited Jul 01, 2016 12:36PM) (new)

Joanna (walker) | 1519 comments Looking at Deedee's response, what about the 5 line:

B5 (Group Reads) - Joanna (1), Rosemary (1), Sam (1)
I5 (20.10 male/female) - Deedee (male), Joanna (female)
N5 (3 15 pt.) - Joanna, Sam, Rosemary
G5 (25 Jumbo) - Joanna (10), Deedee (5), Rosemary (5)+5 more
O5 (10.2/10.3/10.4) - Rosemary or Sam (10.2), Joanna (10.3 or 10.4), Anyone have 10.3 or 10.4?

message 19: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments That works too! B5 is review points though, not group reads :)

I've still got all of my 10 point tasks except the first letter one (10.7 I think? sorry, not at my PC!) and a few of them are short reads.

message 20: by Deedee (last edited Jul 01, 2016 05:41PM) (new)

Deedee | 1983 comments Specifically:
I'll be starting these two this weekend:

Children of Earth and Sky (2016) by Guy Gavriel Kay for 10.7 and also +05 Jumbo points

In the Skin of a Lion (1987) by Michael Ondaatje for 20.10 male

I'm about halfway through these:

The Dark Ages (Historia Universal Asimov #8) (1968) by Isaac Asimov [940.1] for 10.6 or 20.7

By Book or By Crook (Lighthouse Library Mystery #1) (2015) by Eva Gates for possible 10.1 (but Librarians! in Lighthouses! :)

But since I started both of those in June I'm not sure if they can be used for BINGO

message 21: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments Deedee, for the ones started in June, Elizabeth said same rules as the main challenge apply. So you can use one book started in June that was less than 50% read.

Here's the link for the spreadsheet! Hopefully it works, this is the first time I've used Drive! I don't have everything on there, but I think I got most of the definite stuff on.

message 22: by Deedee (last edited Jul 01, 2016 08:41PM) (new)

Deedee | 1983 comments Sam wrote: "Deedee, for the ones started in June, Elizabeth said same rules as the main challenge apply. So you can use one book started in June that was less than 50% read.

Here's the link for the spreadshe..."

OK then, by the "less than 50% read" standard, both The Dark Ages and By Book or By Crook could count; The Dark Ages was at 30% read and By Book or By Crook was at 45% read at the beginning of the day of July 1. Use whichever one is most helpful for the team.

message 23: by Rosemary (last edited Jul 02, 2016 03:09AM) (new)

Rosemary | 3125 comments I'm currently reading my 10.2 Glamorama from the Picador list, which is a jumbo (5), so if we are going for the 5 line, you can take "or Sam" from the 10.2 slot.

I don't mind going for either the B line or the 5 line. Maybe both, if we get to two, since they overlap? I do have another Picador book if needed. Not sure how many books I will get to this month, as some of them are rather long and diffcult, but we can try!

Love the spreadsheet, Sam!

message 24: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments I like the idea of working on both lines simultaneously. I'm going to try to have my square peg done today since it has to go back to the library, then I'll likely move on to my 10.4 book, which also gives LiT points. I think there are enough style squares to make working both lines at the same time work.

message 25: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments I finished my square peg:

The Elite - Kiera Cass, finished July 2nd.

message 26: by Rosemary (last edited Jul 04, 2016 02:28AM) (new)

Rosemary | 3125 comments I have updated the spreadsheet to have the square shaded yellow(ish) where we have one book claimed, and we can do green squares when we have finished a square completely.

Sam, did you read any of the other books that you claimed yesterday, in July? Can we claim for your review or any of the 15 point tasks?

message 27: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments Thanks for updating it! :)

No, unfortunately those were all my June books that I hadn't posted yet. My next 15 point book was also started in June and won't count. But I did start The Shadow of the Wind for 10.4, and I managed to make a good dent in Ilium this weekend!

message 28: by Joanna (last edited Jul 05, 2016 07:45AM) (new)

Joanna (walker) | 1519 comments I finished The Heart Goes Last by Margaret Atwood, which works either for 10.2 (Virago) or 20.10 (female).

I also finished a 15 point book (Girlbomb: A Halfway Homeless Memoir). I'll post both of these shortly.

message 29: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 1983 comments I've substituted Great Work of Time (1989) by John Crowley in place of Michael Ondaatje's novel. Still works for 20.10 - male.

message 30: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments You'll have to let me know how you like it, Deedee! I tried one of his other novels (Little, Big) and I just couldn't get through it. I wanted to like it so badly, but it just never clicked.

I'm (finally!) almost done with Ilium! I should be done it before the weekend hopefully, then I can focus on my 10.4 book.

message 31: by Rosemary (last edited Jul 07, 2016 07:20AM) (new)

Rosemary | 3125 comments I finished Glamorama. On the spreadsheet I put it in B2 rather than O5, partly because we seem to be working on the B row faster, but mostly because that leaves the 10.2 task in O5 open to be either a Picador or a Virago book.

Also counts for 5 jumbo points and my review.

Just started my Group Read.

message 32: by Deedee (last edited Jul 08, 2016 09:21AM) (new)

Deedee | 1983 comments Sam wrote: "You'll have to let me know how you like it, Deedee! I tried one of his other novels (Little, Big) and I just couldn't get through it. I wanted to like it so badly, but it just never clicked.

I'm ..."

Finished Great Work of Time for 20.10 male. I gave it 2 *. I like time travel stories, which this is. It also won the 1990 Award for Best Novella given by the World Fantasy Awards. However .... the way the author told the story was difficult to follow. There were 6 chapters and each chapter seemed like it was from a completely different story. I think the chapters all relate to each other somehow. I, personally, needed some connective prose to follow how they relate to each other. Maybe that style of fiction is why John Crowley is listed under metafiction?

Anyways ..... so far from the BINGO I've finished:

The Dark Ages (Historia Universal Asimov #8) (1968) by Isaac Asimov (Hardcover, 256 pages) counts for 20.7

Murder and Marinara (An Italian Kitchen Mystery #1) (2013) by Rosie Genova (Goodreads Author) (Paperback, 326 pages)
counts for 10.7

Great Work of Time (1989) by John Crowley (Mass Market Paperback, 144 pages)
counts for 20.10 -- male author

I haven't claimed anything in the BINGO thread. Do we have a team captain taking care of that? Let me know if you want me to post to claim points in the BINGO thread.

Still reading Children of Earth and Sky (2016) by Guy Gavriel Kay (Goodreads Author) (Hardcover, 571 pages)
counts for 10.7 + 05 Jumbo Points

message 33: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments That almost perfectly describes how I felt about Little, Big! It had so many things that I would normally love in a book, but something about his writing style just didn't work for me.

I'll try to get the spreadsheet updated later tonight when I'm on my PC. I don't think we need to post individual squares to the Bingo thread though, only the full line when we have a bingo (at least from what I've seen of the other posts in the thread, I might be wrong though!)

message 34: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments I finished Ilium but won't have time to post it until tomorrow. That'll give us 10 jumbo points, and either 20.3 or 10.7 (20.2 seems to be the only task not included on the bingo card!)

I'm also a little less than halfway through The Shadow of the Wind for 10.4/LiT so I should have that done in the next couple days. I also have my 20.3 book out from the library and it has to go back soon, so maybe we could stick Ilium on that square too and it'll give us 2/3 awards?

message 35: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 3125 comments Sounds good, Sam. I am about half way through my Group Read.

message 36: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments I think I've got everything on the spreadsheet updated now. I also just posted Ilium in the completed thread, so that one's on there too now.

We seem to be in pretty good shape for the B line! One more review and we'll have 3 done on that line, and with Rosemary's group read that'll get us at least partway done with the two remaining squares :)

message 37: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 1519 comments I just finished A Far Cry from Kensington for the group read square.

message 38: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 1519 comments I've now also finished A God in Ruins. I've tried to update the spreadsheet, but I'm on my phone, so if I screwed it up, could someone please fix it for me?

message 39: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 1519 comments For the B line, we need something from Deedee because any bingo had to have something from everyone. Any chance you could post a review for one of your books?

message 40: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments I'm also on my phone but I'll take a look at the spreadsheet in a bit.

I read your review of A God in Ruins; it wasn't much smoother in print! I didn't like it as much as I'd hoped =\

message 41: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments Haven't made it to my PC yet tonight, but I did just finish The Shadow of the Wind. I'll try to get it posted in the morning.

One thing I just realised that I haven't been tracking is combo points. There are two combo point squares we could use. I was thinking about starting with the one in the Os since we have 2 squares started there, what do you guys think? I know I have probably 15-20 combo points just off the last two I've read.

message 42: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 1983 comments Joanna wrote: "For the B line, we need something from Deedee because any bingo had to have something from everyone. Any chance you could post a review for one of your books?"

I saw this comment right before I was going to post a book for #20.6. I'll add a review and post it tomorrow.

message 43: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 1983 comments Sam wrote: "Haven't made it to my PC yet tonight, but I did just finish The Shadow of the Wind. I'll try to get it posted in the morning.

One thing I just realised that I haven't been tracking is combo point..."

My tomorrow post will also have +05 Combo points. Now I have to concentrate and write my review so I can make my post! (The book I just finished is: Coming Up for Air (1939) by George Orwell : fits #20.6 WAR and #10.7 "C" in Olympics)

message 44: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 3125 comments Me three disappointed with A God In Ruins compared with Life After Life. But I do know people who loved it.

message 45: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments Heh, I feel less alone knowing that none of us loved it! Reading the reviews, I felt a little like the odd one out :P

I posted for 10.4, and updated the spreadsheet. I still have a 15-point book from June that I'm trying to finish up ASAP so I can move onto my group read - I don't like having two non-fiction books on the go at the same time.

message 46: by Rosemary (last edited Jul 13, 2016 06:52AM) (new)

Rosemary | 3125 comments I've finished and posted my group read Life: A User's Manual for square B1 plus 10 LiT, 5 jumbo and 10 combo points.

Joanna, I moved 5 of your combo points to the other combo point square on the spreadsheet so we have one combo points square complete and green, hope that is okay :-)

Next I will read my next 15 point book for square N5. It's non-fiction so it might take a while.

message 47: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments I got knocked out for some dental work this morning so I'm not up for much more than reading and napping today. Hopefully I'll be able to finish my last June book!

message 48: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments Just finished my group read and submitted our bingo!!! :)

message 49: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 3125 comments Oh cool! We got the second Bingo! Well done team :)

I finished my 15-point book for N5. We're only 2 books away from getting that line as well. I can start my next 15-pointer today.

message 50: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments I'll start my 10.2 book today, it's really short so I should be able to finish it pretty fast :) And I'm almost done with my 20.3 book so that means we've got a good start on the O line too.

« previous 1