Reading with Style discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 173 (173 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Kate S (last edited Jun 28, 2016 07:22PM) (new)

Kate S | 6265 comments Tien
Connie
Coralie
Louise Bro

ETA: The Official BINGO card

message 2: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6265 comments Welcome to Bingo!

Here is a place to plan your strategy and chat with your team!

message 3: by Tien (last edited Jul 01, 2016 05:25PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2659 comments I'll just post this here as a reminder for everyone (mostly, myself!)

Each member of the team must contribute at least one book to the completion of a BINGO.

Each book read can only be used once for a TASK square, but may contribute to any/all applicable STYLE squares.

In order to use the FREE space on the BINGO card, each team must claim a book in the completed tasks thread.

You can claim a book for yourself for a task and have combos, but you may want to switch those combos claims for bingo, and can do so.

For example, in Post 84, I claimed the book for task 20.7, because it got more points, with the combo for 10.9. However, if the team needed, this post/book could be claimed as fulfilling a 10.9 requirement on the card. It would still have 5 combo points for that square.

and to make it easier for our planning...

description

sorry, am just too excited to wait! plus, I might not be able to get online for a couple of days so thought I'd post ahead :)

message 4: by Tien (last edited Jul 07, 2016 04:10PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2659 comments I'd suggest vertical (C1-C5) -the B column.

[edited: how it looks so far]

1. Read 3 Group read Titles:
Connie: Out of Africa -Completed #276
Louise Bro: Murder Must Advertise -Completed #300
Coralie: A Far Cry from Kensington -Completed #303

2. Complete 10.2 by reading 1 book off of each list:
Virago: Coralie: Murder in the Dark: Short Fictions and Prose Poems - Completed #324
Picador: Tien: The Butcher Boy -

3. Earn 30 LiT points
Louise Bro: Murder Must Advertise - 10 points - Completed #300
Coralie: Venice Is a Fish: A Sensual Guide - 10 points - Completed #323
Tien: Silence - 10 points - Completed #327

4. Complete 10.1 and any 15 point task
Task 10.1 – Coralie: The Drowned World -Completed #293
15 point task - Louise Bro: Farthing -Completed #308

5. Earn 40 Review points
Connie: Out of Africa - 10 points - Completed #276
Tien: A Farewell to Arms - 10 points - Completed #292
Tien: Silence - 10 points - Completed #327

==================================================================

I-column

1. Earn 30 Canon points:
20 Canon points left to go - See also G4

2. Earn 50 Combo points:
Connie: Out of Africa - 15 points - Completed #276
Coralie: Murder in the Dark: Short Fictions and Prose Poems - 15 points - Completed #324
10 Combo points left to go - see also O4

3. Complete Tasks 10.6 and 20.9
10.6 Traveling the DDC way - Coralie: Venice Is a Fish: A Sensual Guide - 10 points - Completed #323
20.9 Political

4. Complete Task 20.6 by reading a book off of each list
WWI: Tien: A Farewell to Arms - 10 points - Completed #292
WWII

5. Complete Task 20.10 by reading one book by a male author and one by a female author
20.10 Meta fiction

N-column

1. Earn 25 Jumbo points:

2. Complete Task 20.4 by reading a book from each country:
China
Australia
Russia

3. FREE CELL

4. Complete Tasks 10.8 and 20.8
10.8 Come to the Fair
20.8 Kotick

5. Claim 3 15 point tasks

G-column

1. Complete Tasks 10.5 and 20.5:

2. Complete all Winner’s Tasks:10.7-10.9 & 20.7:
10.7 First Letter
10.8 Come to the Fair
10.9 It's Personal
20.7 U.S.

3. Complete Task 20.1 (South America) three times with books written by 3 authors born in different decades

4. Earn 30 Canon points
20 Canon points left to go - see also I1

5. Earn 25 Jumbo points

O-column

1. Complete al mod tasks: 20.8-20.10:
20.8 Kotick
20.9 Political
20.10 Meta fiction

2. Earn 30 LiT points:

3. Complete Task 20.3 (Winners!) using 3 different awards

4. Earn 50 Combo points
Connie: Out of Africa - 15 points - Completed #276
Coralie: Murder in the Dark: Short Fictions and Prose Poems - 15 points - Completed #324
10 Combo points left to go -see also I2

5. Complete all poll tasks: 10.2-10.4
10.2 Picador/Virago
10.3 Holiday
10.4 Opposite Lists

message 5: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2545 comments I haven't claimed square peg yet.

message 6: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2659 comments Coralie wrote: "I haven't claimed square peg yet."

Have you any plan to read/claim square peg in July?

What do you think of going vertical on B column? Do you think there's a better line to do?

message 7: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2659 comments If everyone agrees on my suggestion on the B column, please let me know which square you're planning to read for and I'll edit msg #4 with a plan for the whole team.

Otherwise, please suggest on best Bingo line :)

message 8: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6265 comments The card has become official!

There were no last minute changes. Happy reading and good luck to you all!

message 9: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2659 comments Kate S wrote: "The card has become official!

There were no last minute changes. Happy reading and good luck to you all!"

Thanks, Kate! Can't wait to get started ;D

message 10: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6265 comments Tien wrote: "Thanks, Kate! Can't wait to get started ;D "

Fantastic! I hope everyone has a lot of fun with this!

message 11: by Connie (last edited Jun 28, 2016 10:43PM) (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 1469 comments The B column is fine with me. Here's some ways I could contribute:
1. I'm going to read Out of Africa for a group read in July.
3. I could read one South American translated book.
5. I write reviews for almost everything.

I'll see what others are doing, and can fill in some other slots if needed.

message 12: by Louise Bro (new)

Louise Bro | 477 comments Hi team!
I can read my Group Reads next, I'll read it in translation and so a review, so that's three square's it will help with. I can't remember the book and I'm posting from my phone, but it's the Dorothy Sayers one, I'll read it in Danish

Also, I'll be finishing my next 15 points book very soon, I'll just not post until July 1st.

message 13: by Louise Bro (new)

Louise Bro | 477 comments I know it wont affect this line, but I am planning on finishing Kushiel's Dart in July and that alone will be 25 jumbo points, so we can maybe use that when picking the next line?

message 14: by Louise Bro (new)

Louise Bro | 477 comments Do we need to mention the Bingo when posting the regular points, or do we do it when the line is done

message 15: by Louise Bro (new)

Louise Bro | 477 comments I am going to try to get a hold of a Paula McLain book for 10.2, but it won't be the next book I read, so if anybody else has definite plans, please feel free.

message 16: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2659 comments I'll put you in for the group read, Louise Bro, but I don't think you can use the 15 pt book. Book must be read in July though you may read up to 50% of 1 book before July. I hope this makes sense.

message 17: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2659 comments Also I don't think you need to mention the bingo when claiming the usual completed task. We'll include it all when claiming Bingo.

message 18: by Louise Bro (new)

Louise Bro | 477 comments Thanks, Tien! Remember that my Group Reads can also be counted toward number 3 and 5, because they are styles.

Oh right, forgot about the 50% rule. My next audio is also a 15-pointer and it's not very long, so maybe we can use that instead.

message 19: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6265 comments Louise Bro wrote: "Do we need to mention the Bingo when posting the regular points, or do we do it when the line is done"

There will be a Bingo completion thread for posting, it will not be necessary to include it in the RwS completion thread.

message 20: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2545 comments I will read The Drowned World for my square peg. I could also read a Margaret Atwood for the Virago part of 10.2. It doesn't look as though we will need it, but I will be reading Venice Is a Fish: A Sensual Guide for 10.6 and that would give us Lost in Translation points.
I am also working on my 15 point books. I am part way through one which I could use towards this bingo, however we can only use one that we have already started and I am reading another that would give us 15 jumbo points for a later bingo. Which we use might best be decided further down the track when we see how we are going.

message 21: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 1469 comments Coralie wrote: "I will read The Drowned World for my square peg. I could also read a Margaret Atwood for the Virago part of 10.2. It doesn't look as though we will need it, but I will be reading [b..."

That sounds great, Coralie. With all of us working on LiT points, we'll have some to use on another bingo later.

message 22: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2545 comments I have just rechecked my library catalogue and find that they have A Far Cry from Kensington (I couldn't find it last time I looked) so I can read that for our third group read. I will be going to the library later today to get it and a few others.

message 23: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 1469 comments The South American book I will be reading for Lit points for B3 is News of a Kidnapping by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez. He was born in 1927.

If any of us read other South American authors in July, it's good to remember for a future bingo that G3 has the requirement to read 3 different authors born in 3 different decades for 20.1 (South America).

message 24: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2659 comments I think I will edit msg #4 so all other squares are also there. We'll focus on the B-column for our first Bingo but post here as you complete a task on which square it'll fit into & I'll list it so if we can see if we can get another Bingo without having to look back :)

message 25: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2545 comments Connie wrote: "The South American book I will be reading for Lit points for B3 is News of a Kidnapping by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez. He was born in 1927.

If any of us read other South A..."

I intend to read Shantytown by César Aira who was born in 1949.

message 26: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 1469 comments In post # 276, I just posted for Out of Africa for these points:

B1-group read
B5-10 review points

It also has 15 combo points that we can use for either the I2 or O4 squares.

message 27: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 1469 comments I was looking at the BINGO card, and thinking about our next Bingo in case I had to get books from the library in another week. I personally do not have any books planned with canon points or jumbo points. Unless other team members do, we could choose one or two Bingo lines to try without canon or jumbo points. Ideas could be:

2 across
3 across
O down
B5 to O1 diagonally

Any preferences?

message 28: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2545 comments I will be reading 15 jumbo points, but I don't have any plans for canon points. The combo points definitely look achievable for 2 across or O down. I'm reading a book for 10.6 which could go towards 3 across. Really, I'm happy with any (or all) of them.

message 29: by Tien (last edited Jul 04, 2016 04:16PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2659 comments Thanks, Connie, I'll update our progress on #4 in a minute.

I've just finished A Farewell to Arms and that's canon so that's 5 points!

I've no preference whatsoever which way we go after the first Bingo but happy to work with whatever books are already planned for your monthly reads :)

I think I might also have about 10 jumbo points for July coming up to read... 1 across, maybe?

message 30: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2545 comments If we have enough jumbo points, which looks possible, I like N down or 5 across so we can use our 15 point tasks. The tasks I have lined up with books waiting for me after the group read and the square peg are:-
10.2 or 20.7 or 20.10

message 31: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2659 comments I like 5 across...

I can't tell you what my planned books are at the moment; having PC issues with office (upgraded to 365) but can't open any programs! Hence, I can't access my challenge worksheets :'(

message 32: by Connie (last edited Jul 04, 2016 10:42PM) (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 1469 comments After I finish my 20.1 book, my next books probably will be

20.6 (I have several WWI books to read)
15_

message 33: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2545 comments I would be happy with 5 across as I want to read for both 10.2 and 20.10 at some time.

message 34: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2659 comments Coralie wrote: "I would be happy with 5 across as I want to read for both 10.2 and 20.10 at some time."

We need a 10.2 book for our current target Bingo? I'm reading one from the Picador list and Louise Bro has tentatively said Paula McLain for Virago though she doesn't sound quite sure...

Which 10.2 list / book have you got in mind?

message 35: by Tien (last edited Jul 04, 2016 07:43PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2659 comments What our reading plan looks like... couldn't quite get it to align so had to shorten your names, sorry!

Cora | Con | Tien
15.5 | 10.6 | 15.2
10.6 | 10.7 | 20.2
10.2 | 10.8 | 20.9
20.7 | 20.6 | 20.4
20.10 | 15- | ?
10.7 | ? | ?

actually, by this plan, I-column is looking pretty good...

message 36: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2545 comments I am reading Murder in the Dark: Short Fictions and Prose Poems by Margaret Atwood which would do for Virago.

I have just claimed 10.1 in post 293 for The Drowned World.

message 37: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2659 comments good job, Coralie, I've updated #4

message 38: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 1469 comments Tien wrote: "What our reading plan looks like... couldn't quite get it to align so had to shorten your names, sorry!

Cora | Con | Tien
15.5 | 10.6 | 15.2
10.6 | 10.7 | 20.2
10.2 | 10.8 | 20.9
20.7 | 20.6 | 20...."

Column I has 30 canon points in it so that might be difficult.

Since Coralie is reading some books with jumbo points and we will have enough 15 point books, 5 across would work. What would you think about working on 5 across and B5-O1 diagonal at the same time?

message 39: by Tien (last edited Jul 04, 2016 10:48PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2659 comments Connie wrote: "Column I has 30 canon points in it so that might be difficult."

We've already got 10 points with A Farewell to Arms that I read this week.
I'll be reading Oblomov sometime the next 3 weeks (library book) -that's another 10...
so, only another book (10 points) left to go?

Since Coralie is reading some books with jumbo points and we will have enough 15 point books, 5 across would work. What would you think about working on 5 across and B5-O1 diagonal at the same time? "

I don't mind... I think, right now, just post here whatever you've posted for completion and we'll fill in the box. After we've got our first Bingo (B-column); we can see what's left that's easy to fill?

message 40: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 1469 comments OK, we can wait. That's great that you're getting so many canon points, Tien. That was the square in column I that I worried about. It's good to know now what others are planning to read. I tend to read library bookgroup books, and monthly reads for GR groups at the beginning of the month. So the end of July is more flexible.

message 41: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2545 comments I could read a canon if that would complete a square. I am thinking of World's Fair which could work for 10.8 or a male author for 20.10.

message 42: by Louise Bro (new)

Louise Bro | 477 comments I'm sorry I haven't been present, but I've been away from my spreadsheet and unable to comment intelligently.
I'll comment more in depth tomorrow, but I've just posted my 10.10 Murder Must Advertise in post 300, which adds to B1, B3 and B5. Also it's good for 10 combo points, which could be used for I2.

message 43: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 1469 comments Wonderful, Louise!

message 44: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2659 comments That's terrific, Louise! I've updated #4 with your completed task :)

Getting close, ladies! Just 3 books to finish to complete:

2 books for 10.2 (of which I'm reading 1 and should finish before the weekend) and 1 15 task book.

message 45: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2659 comments Connie wrote: "OK, we can wait. That's great that you're getting so many canon points, Tien. That was the square in column I that I worried about. It's good to know now what others are planning to read. I tend to..."

I don't usually read so many Canon, Connie, but I wanted to read somewhat differently this season. Hence, Canon works ;) Am not sure how I'm going to survive though! lol

message 46: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2545 comments I have just claimed A Far Cry from Kensington for 10.10 in post 303.

message 47: by Louise Bro (new)

Louise Bro | 477 comments I have just claimed Farthing for 15.3 in post 308, so that can be added to B4.
It is such a good book, but so depressing in how despicable, yet realistic the characters behave, that I had to go and watch an episode of The West Wing for a muc needed shot of idealism...

message 48: by Louise Bro (new)

Louise Bro | 477 comments I think B1-O5 is going to work itself out with all the combo and canon points we have coming up, but we should probably plan for the task rows instead and take the style points as bonuses.

The next books I am planning to read are:
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (10.2, 10.6, 10.7, 20.7)
Maisie Dobbs (20.3, 20.5, 20.6 10.7, 10.9)
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich (10.7, 20.4)
Life After Life (10.7, 20.10)
Gone Girl (10.4, 20.3)

From what I understand I could claim Maisie Dobbs for 10.9 in the main challenge, but as it also qualifies for 20.3, we could use it in Bingo for either G2 or O2 (but not both). If that's right, it might become easier to fill up the squares.

message 49: by Louise Bro (new)

Louise Bro | 477 comments How do you understand the free cell? Can we use any book we've read (either 10, 15 or 20 point tasks)? I assume this counts as a task square so the book read can't be used to claim another task square?

Maybe I should have posted this in the general questions thread instead :-)

message 50: by Coralie (last edited Jul 07, 2016 02:47AM) (new)

Coralie | 2545 comments I have claimed Venice Is a Fish: A Sensual Guide in post 323 for 10.6 with LiT points.

And Murder in the Dark: Short Fictions and Prose Poems in post 234 for 10.2 (Virago) with 15 combo points.

« previous 1 3 4