Reading with Style discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kate S (last edited Jun 28, 2016 07:21PM) (new)

Kate S | 6220 comments Karen Michele
Don (the book guy)
Gabriel
Cory Day

ETA: The Official BINGO card

message 2: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6220 comments Welcome to Bingo!

Here is a place to plan your strategy and chat with your team!

message 3: by Karen Michele (last edited Jun 30, 2016 04:16PM) (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4642 comments Hi everyone! We are going to have a great team ---- can't wait to get started!

Team 1 Bingo

message 4: by Cory Day (new)

Cory Day (cors36) | 1205 comments Hi everyone! I'm glad to be back and this will be a fun way to really come back to the group. :)

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) | 865 comments Greetings teammates. Should be interesting.

message 6: by Don (The Book Guy) (last edited Jun 28, 2016 06:57PM) (new)

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) | 865 comments To get the ball rolling, I had picked out one book for the 20.6 task, WWII. That would be good for half of the 4 I task, as long as it doesn't change. B5 4 reviews would be easy, so do we want to consider filling in that diagonal. Or does someone have another approach idea in the works? I am good with however we approach the tasks.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) | 865 comments Don (The Book Guy) wrote: "To get the ball rolling, I had picked out one book for the 20.6 task, WWII. That would be good for half of the 4 I task, as long as it doesn't change. B5 4 reviews would be easy, so do we want to c..."

Oops, misspoke, it is off the WW I list.

message 8: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4642 comments I probably won't take a good hard look at the card until tomorrow, but I'm open to any strategy.

message 9: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6220 comments The Bingo card has gone final! You will find a link in post one of this thread. Good Luck!

message 10: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel Soll | 187 comments Hi all!
I hope not to be the slow/long pole in our team's tent. I looked over the card and am most likely going to be able to get 30 LiT (Lost in Translation, I had to figure it out, perhaps denoting my need for additional coffee?). These squares are either B3 or O2.

I am a bit uncertain about some of the rules though...for example, o3 requires reading 3 prize-winning books (3 different prizes). Can we combine efforts, of if I read one, and two others each read one have we earned the square?

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) | 865 comments Gabriel wrote: "Hi all!
I hope not to be the slow/long pole in our team's tent. I looked over the card and am most likely going to be able to get 30 LiT (Lost in Translation, I had to figure it out, perhaps denoti..."

As I understood the directions, yes we can split tasks like O 3.

message 12: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4642 comments Would everyone be fine with the diagonal suggested by Don in post 6? It seems like a good one because we could each write a review for the first book we read in July and have that square finished right away.

message 13: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel Soll | 187 comments Sounds good to me. The book I am in now (and will be under 50% by July 1, so it will count!) could count for 10.7, 20.7, or 20.10...so that could count toward either O1 or G2. My planned next read is a solid 20.7 (and nothing else toward this line) so it could take that portion of G2.

message 14: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4642 comments I will know better what book(s) I can start with sometime tomorrow. I've just finished up another big challenge that ends tomorrow and I'm another ongoing group one and we don't get the rules for the next part of that game until tomorrow. I should be in pretty good shape to help wherever I am needed.

message 15: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4642 comments I can start out with a book for 10.7 easily.

message 16: by Cory Day (new)

Cory Day (cors36) | 1205 comments Karen Michele wrote: "Would everyone be fine with the diagonal suggested by Don in post 6? It seems like a good one because we could each write a review for the first book we read in July and have that square finished r..."

I like that idea. I haven't looked to sync up what I'm reading with the Bingo card yet, but I'll try to do that today :)

message 17: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4642 comments I made us a copy of the Bingo card with our row highlighted. Green is finished, yellow is "in progress". I can share it with everyone for editing, too. I need your email for that, though, if you want to send it by pm or I can just do the updates.

Team 1 Bingo

I'll put the link in post 3 as well.

message 18: by Cory Day (new)

Cory Day (cors36) | 1205 comments Ok, I'm trying to line up getting copies of the books, but in general the things on the list that I haven't yet completed for this season's challenge and/or have multiples lined up are these:

10.8 (I'll have the book in hand on Wednesday)
20.6 (I've slated a WWI book)
20.7-20.10

Looking forward to it!

message 19: by Cory Day (new)

Cory Day (cors36) | 1205 comments I only got to 47% in the book I was reading the night of June 30, so it will work for this! It's 20.7, and I reviewed it. I also just posted a 10.7 and reviewed it :)

message 20: by Karen Michele (last edited Jul 02, 2016 03:11PM) (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4642 comments I finished a 10.7 as well. I also have another 10.7 in progress which I will review so we can count that (the review, I mean). I'll get to a book category we need sometime soon! I'll keep track of other spots where my books fit, too.

message 21: by Cory Day (new)

Cory Day (cors36) | 1205 comments I posted another! 20.8 with a review... I'm not getting a lot of combos or anything right now. I also just started a 20.9, which should be a fast read.

message 22: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4642 comments Cory Day wrote: "I posted another! 20.8 with a review... I'm not getting a lot of combos or anything right now. I also just started a 20.9, which should be a fast read."

Nice job! I'm doing another group challenge right now that is pretty demanding, so I'm reading a lot, but not always in the correct categories for our Bingo. I will be reading a 20.10 starting later today or tomorrow.

message 23: by Cory Day (new)

Cory Day (cors36) | 1205 comments Yeah, my current book is not all that good but it fits the politics category and also fits into another challenge in doing, so I'm finishing it. Good thing it's short!

message 24: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4642 comments I posted a review and my book for 20.10. That means we have the O1 square finished at least;)

message 25: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4642 comments Cory Day wrote: "Yeah, my current book is not all that good but it fits the politics category and also fits into another challenge in doing, so I'm finishing it. Good thing it's short!"

Sorry it wasn't good!

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) | 865 comments Just posted a review for 20.3. If I read our posts correctly that should get us the 40 review points for B5

message 27: by Don (The Book Guy) (last edited Jul 07, 2016 09:09PM) (new)

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) | 865 comments B5 40 review points Cory Day review post 19
Cory Day review post 21
Karen Michele review post 24
Don review post 26

I4 20.6 two books

n3 free

G2 10.7 Karen Michele post 20
20.7 Cory Day post 19

O1 Completed post 24

I created this post so I could keep track of where we are at. Let me know if anything is wrong and I will change it.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) | 865 comments So as I read it, we need a 10.8 and 10.9 and the two books for 20.6. Anyone working on one of this tasks?

message 29: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4642 comments Don (The Book Guy) wrote: "B5 40 review points Cory Day review post 19
Cory Day review post 21
Karen Michele review post 24
Don review post 26

I4 20.6 two books

n3 free

G2 10.7 Karen Michele post 20
20.7 C..."

That looks good, Don, thanks!

message 30: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4642 comments Don (The Book Guy) wrote: "So as I read it, we need a 10.8 and 10.9 and the two books for 20.6. Anyone working on one of this tasks?"

I'm planning to read a 10.8 pretty soon.

message 31: by Cory Day (new)

Cory Day (cors36) | 1205 comments Don (The Book Guy) wrote: "So as I read it, we need a 10.8 and 10.9 and the two books for 20.6. Anyone working on one of this tasks?"

I was having a hard time tracking down my original pick for 20.6, but realized I have one that fits on my Kindle already. It's from the WWII list. I can start it in the next few days :)

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) | 865 comments Cory Day wrote: "Don (The Book Guy) wrote: "So as I read it, we need a 10.8 and 10.9 and the two books for 20.6. Anyone working on one of this tasks?"

I was having a hard time tracking down my original pick for 20..."

Good I have one I can start from the WWI list.

message 33: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4642 comments That's great! I have books for 20.6, but I'm not going to getting to them soon.

message 34: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4642 comments My 10.8 book is finished, but not posted quite yet.

message 35: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel Soll | 187 comments I just posted a finish for
20.7, 20.10, 10.7, an 20.1 + Review.

I think it should help somewhere. Working on another.

message 36: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4642 comments I think we are getting fairly close to a Bingo. Keep reading, everyone!

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) | 865 comments Working on my WWI for 20.6. Almost done.

message 38: by Cory Day (new)

Cory Day (cors36) | 1205 comments Don (The Book Guy) wrote: "Working on my WWI for 20.6. Almost done."

I'm working on my WWII, but I'm not quite as close - just a little over 33% done. It'll be complete in the next few days, but I have two job interviews to prepare for next week, so my fun reading is slow going.

message 39: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4642 comments Good luck on your interviews, Cory! Also thanks to Dan and Cory for getting 20.6 finished up for us!

message 40: by Cory Day (new)

Cory Day (cors36) | 1205 comments Karen Michele wrote: "Good luck on your interviews, Cory! Also thanks to Dan and Cory for getting 20.6 finished up for us!"

Thanks! I'm in the middle of moving as well, so it's kind of stressful.

But! I posted my 20.6, which also gives us some LiT points if we need them for another square. That should help, right?

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) | 865 comments Completed and posted my book and review for 20.6. Post 458

message 42: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel Soll | 187 comments Im looking ahead to my next book...in trying to figure out what I want to read I thought I would check where the team is...what do we need?

message 43: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4642 comments I think all we need for a Bingo is a 10.9 book. Am I right? Do you have one for that one, Gabriel?

message 44: by Cory Day (new)

Cory Day (cors36) | 1205 comments Karen Michele wrote: "I think all we need for a Bingo is a 10.9 book. Am I right? Do you have one for that one, Gabriel?"

Oh! I just read one of those lol.

I'll post it soon. I didn't check your work, Karen, but I think we were pretty close before, so...

message 45: by Cory Day (new)

Cory Day (cors36) | 1205 comments I posted my 10.9 (message 510)!

message 46: by Karen Michele (last edited Jul 24, 2016 12:11PM) (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4642 comments Ok, I think we did it! Checking my work and then I will post it in the Bingo thread!

BINGO

Diagonally (O1-B5 –top right to bottom left)

O1 Complete All Mod Tasks: 20.8, 20.9 & 20.10

20.8 Kotick: Cory: The Namesake
Completed #283
20.9 Political: Cory: Condor One
Completed #317
20.10 Meta fiction: Karen Michele: Shalimar the Clown
Completed #400

G2 Complete all Winner’s Tasks:10.7-10.9 & 20.7:

10.7 First Letter: Cory: Murder on the Mountain
Completed #395
10.8 Come to the Fair: Karen Michele: Avenue of Mysteries
Completed #396
10.9 It's Personal: Cory: Adder
Completed #510
20.7 U.S.: Gabriel: Of Love and Shadows
Completed #384

N3 FREE Space

I4 Complete Task 20.6 by reading a book off of each list:

WWI: Don: Infantry Attacks
Completed #458
WWII: Cory: Suite Française
Completed #452

B5 Earn 40 Review points:

Cory:
Completed #395
Karen Michele:
Completed #318
Don:
Completed #458
Gabriel:
Completed #384

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) | 865 comments Yeah team!!!!

message 48: by Cory Day (new)

Cory Day (cors36) | 1205 comments Looks right to me :)

message 49: by Cory Day (new)

Cory Day (cors36) | 1205 comments And I see you posted. I'm behind by a day lol - maybe because my friend and I made the (crazy?) decision to go to an amusement park when the temperature was hovering just below 100 degrees and the heat index was well above. Hydration and sunscreen were key.

message 50: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel Soll | 187 comments well done team! Are we going for another (I will finish my book today, so I will need to select the next ASAP!!!!!!!)...or am I free to let my head be my guide?

« previous 1