Litwit Lounge discussion

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Werner (last edited Jul 25, 2009 05:38PM) (new)

Werner | 2229 comments Most readers, over years of reading, accumulate a certain number of books they'd like to get rid of --the ones you know you won't read again and don't want to keep around on the shelf, books somebody gave you that you'll never want to read, etc. If you're like me, you don't want to trash them, and donating them to a local library or something similar isn't always a perfect option.

An Internet site you might be interested in is BookMooch (http://bookmooch.com). It's a network for sharing books you don't want, but that someone else does. Joining is free, you pay only the postage to send books to someone when they request one. (You don't have to send outside your own country if you don't want to.) You earn "points," mostly by giving away books, and can trade a point at any time to request one of someone else's inventory of books. (When you do that, they pay the postage to send it to you.) I joined around the end of May (a couple of my Goodreads friends made me aware of the site), and I've already gotten several books. If you're interested, check it out!

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1752 comments Interesting resource. Thanks.

message 3: by Werner (new)

Werner | 2229 comments You're welcome, Callista! There's another site that's similar, called Paperback BookSwap (they include hardbound books, too), but I'm not directly familiar with it. However, one of my Goodreads friends, Jim MacLachlan, belongs to that one.

message 4: by Werner (last edited Jul 31, 2009 03:57AM) (new)

Werner | 2229 comments Actualy, it turns out that last one I mentioned is Paperback Swap (not BookSwap). Their URL is http://www.paperbackswap.com .

message 5: by Reggia (new)

Reggia | 2297 comments So glad you posted this, Werner, thanks! I will soon be facing another move, and I need to get rid of many books.

message 6: by Werner (new)

Werner | 2229 comments Reggia, I know exactly how that is; I've had to move a lot of times in my life, and I've had to part with a lot of books (and really hated to!) because I couldn't transport them all. Of course, with Book Mooch, you won't necessarily get cleaned out of all the books you want to give away very quickly --it depends on whether or not other members want the specific titles you're offering. Several of the ones I listed when I first joined are still on my inventory. I've given away several others, though!

Book Mooch allows members to have friends circles, just as Goodreads does. So if you do decide to join, I'd be happy to be your first Book Mooch friend!

message 7: by Reggia (new)

Reggia | 2297 comments So hard to let go of books (last couple times it was easier, much stuff I really didn't want or need) but it makes it easier knowing I can request titles at some later point as well. I'll let you know when I get signed up.

message 8: by Werner (new)

Werner | 2229 comments Great! I'll look forward to hearing from you.

message 9: by Jo (new)

Jo Just a little note to anyone in the UK. There is a site called readitswapit which is a UK version of these sites

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I love Bookmooch, been using it for a while and have mooched quite a lot of books! Well worth a look!