What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Short Story Anthology, 1980s, Plastic Bags and Portals

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sherri (last edited Jun 28, 2016 04:57PM) (new)

Sherri Molloy I am looking for the names and authors of two short stories I read in elementary school, I think it was grade 6, 7, or 8. It would have been around the mid to late 1980's. (I was in the Catholic School system in Ontario).

Both stories were in a single anthology (it may have been an anthology of Canadian authors or of scifi/fantasy authors).

The first story involved a post apocalyptic society (possibly suffering from pollution or radiation) who never went outside but traveled through the use of Doors (always with a capital 'D'), a young girl decided to use the door (regular door that they kept in case of emergencies, small 'd') and is ostracized for her interest in 'outside' and nature. For some reason I have a vague feeling that this was written by a quite famous author but I haven't been able to find it.

The other story I remember from the book was about a commuter who would travel to and from work on a bus and over time realized that a plastic bag he would see every day on the side of the road was not actually garbage but a sentient Native spirit, the shape-shifting spirit that used to take the form of animals now realized that it blended into the modern world as refuse in order to find prey. The narrator began to fear for his life because he knew that the spirit knew he had become aware of it.

Any help for either story or for the Anthology would be really appreciated! Thanks!

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40168 comments Mod
Sherri left the group. Moving to Abandoned.

[on hiatus] The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1527 comments I know that this is abandoned, but the second story sounds a lot like Smoke Ghost (one of my favourite stories).

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Smoke Ghost (other topics)