Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Free Beta any Genre

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liliyana (last edited May 18, 2017 09:58PM) (new)

Liliyana Shadowlyn (lilydeslacs) UPDATE: I am currently very busy, and if you need a beta within 2 weeks and it is longer than a short story or a children's book, please check for me under the paid services thread.

I cannot accept anything for free edits at this time.

I do accept betas still, and they will be read in order received, but I give each beta my full attention and once I start reading it, I only read that until I finish.

------

I will read anything, and I have done beta reading almost everything at this point. It's hard to shock or offend me, so don't be shy about what you ask me to read. (Just look at my read book shelf).

Should anything come up I will make sure you are contacted. (I hate being left hanging try to avoid doing it to anyone else).

Formats I can work with include Google Docs, PDF, MOBI. I can read EPUB but it's harder to leave notes in the document for me.

You can send me a message or just reply to this thread.

message 2: by Ceici (new)

Ceici | 8 comments Hi Liliyana,

I'm interested in your skills. Please contact me at ceicichristy@gmail.com.

Thank you.

message 3: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Lowe | 51 comments Hello, I'm looking for someone to read my paranormal/urban fantasy. It's about 65k words about a Nymph investigating the death of wild animals in the woods before it causes her small town to turn on itself.

You can pm me or email me at taylowe82@gmail.com if your willing to beta

message 4: by Caspar (new)

Caspar Wallersteiner | 14 comments Hey I'm looking for a beta reader and you sound like someone who would be a good fit. I've got a page already up if you're intrigued:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 5: by Teri (new)

Teri Dluznieski (horsewisevt) | 23 comments hi,

I have an epic fantasy, young adult novel-novella. it's been read a handful of times, but really needs someone who can go over it more thoroughly.

title- before the luck runs out.
if interested, let me know:)

Teri

message 6: by Bella (new)

Bella Ellwood-Clayton (drbella) | 31 comments Hi Liliyana,

I would love you to take a look at my contemporary women's fiction (75,000 words). My website is www.drbella.com.au and my email is bella@drbella.com.au

Thanks!

message 7: by Palmfire (new)

Palmfire | 30 comments Hello, I would also love if you could take a look at the first few parts of my book. It's sci-fi with time travel and psychological elements. If you aren't interested, it's fine, but if you are, please contact me at palmfire.firestorm@gmail.com.

message 8: by Martin (new)

Martin Rinehart Bella,

What do you mean when you say 'women's fiction'? (I'm asking because I've a novel that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.) Thanks!

message 9: by Meg (new)

Meg Reid | 19 comments Hi! I have a 65,000 work completed memoir. It's a dark combination of Eat, Pray, Love and Glass Castle that starts with me leaving my husband at 24 and going on a journey of self discovery that leads me to law school. It looks at women's issues, feminism, the message given by our mothers and resiliency.

Would love to have you take a look. Email me if you're interested megrreid@gmail.com

Thanks!

message 10: by Travis (new)

Travis Casey (traviscasey) | 17 comments Hi Liliyana,
I have recently completed my fifth novel, White Collars at 108,000. It's a murder mystery, filled with humor and probably a lot of schoolboy errors. I just can't see them in my own writing. I need a set of objective eyes to look over it and would be delighted if you could find the tie to give me a beta read. If interested please shoot me a message. And to help you decide, here's the blurb:

The governor is a man of power. The Novak-Chambers family are people of wealth. It is a relationship both sides have exploited for decades. When a newly elected governor takes office, the family must prepare for a meeting to keep that favorable relationship flourishing.

Oscar Novak-Chambers is Kentucky's most eligible bachelor and heir to the family's horse-racing empire. He has everything; including money difficulties. To recover his losses and hide his gambling problem from his dad and grandfather he turns to a notorious Louisville loan shark, Louie Gomez. All he needs is one big win. And all the gangster needs is a dubious favor from the governor – and he sees Oscar as the man to get it.

Driven by family pride and a fear of the underworld, Oscar finagles a meeting with Governor Davenport and is delighted when he invites him to play in a golf tournament with his daughter. The stakes are high and Oscar discovers Stacey Davenport is not a typical golf partner—or a typical anything.

As a recently arrived consultant to the district attorney's office, Stacey has a secret which keeps her from legally practicing law, but she's still determined to clean up certain factions of Kentucky's criminal hierarchy – and Louie Gomez is on her list.

As the web of lies begin to unravel, hiding secrets turns deceit into murder.

message 11: by Matthew (new)

Matthew LeRoy | 7 comments Liliyana wrote: "I will read anything, although I can't promise I will be able to catch everything. I have done beta reading and light editing on fiction, fantasy, erotica, and technical papers. I literally read ev..."

I have a true crime historical manuscript and we are searching for beta readers. If you're interested please email me at bplastics@aol.com.

message 12: by David (new)

David Burton (goodreadscomdcburtonjr) | 16 comments Hi Liliyana,
Would you be interested in Beta Reading a revised edition of a dark, slightly paranormal, coming-of-age, YA/NA novel of about 72000 words – Ancient Mariners?

Ancient Mariners is a dark coming-of-age novel for adults and mature young adults. Beth, 14, and her crewmate, Silas, 45, have lost their families to violence. They sail the S Pacific, seeking solace for their grief. But Death has a task for them. When Beth's best friend joins her in Australia, followed by her abusive father, Beth and Silas discover where Death's journey is leading them.

Thanks for considering Ancient Mariners.
Cheers,
David Burton
dcburtonjr@gmail.com
https://davidburtonwriting.com/ancien...

message 13: by Amber (new)

Amber X | 5 comments Hi Liliyana,

I have a novel that I'm working on and would like to start querying to agents by the end of next month so I'm working on the finishing touches. It's called MY DAD'S SECRET FIANCÉ and it's around 90k words. My main concerns are —

- should I label this as a YA or NA
- emotional connection to MC
- character development
- plot holes and inconsistencies
- clichés and believability
- overall impression

What I would like is for you to give me feedback on my novel as if you were writing a review for it on Amazon, for example. However, if you find any nitpicky things that should be edited, please point them out.

If you are interested, please shoot me a quick email to brown.ambersyahoo.com.

Summary of my novel —

Harper, eighteen, spunky, impulsive and a go-getter, is on vacation in London with her father and her best friend Blaire. On their first night, Harper's widowed father drops a bomb: he's getting remarried to a swimsuit model nearly twenty years his junior, Natalia. Upset and unable to sleep, Harper wanders around the hotel and sees Natalia sneak out in the middle of the night into a blacked-out SUV.

Fearing Natalia will break her father's heart, just like hers was broken by her recent ex, Harper investigates Natalia's shady behavior. As Harper starts to realize she's ruining Blaire's vacation, she discovers Natalia's secret briefcase.

Harper's decision whether to continue her investigation gets complicated when the girls bump into the Russian gangsters who also want to get inside Natalia's briefcase.

Amber
xx

message 14: by David (new)

David Callinan (davidcallinan) | 32 comments Hello Liliyana
Do you have time to beta read the first 19 chapters of my psychological surrogacy thriller MISCONCEPTION? It's 'Fatal Attraction' meets 'Girl On A Train'. Some agents have expressed interest and I am currently finishing the book. Email me at books@davidcallinan.com

message 15: by Kat (new)

Kat | 11 comments Dear Lilyana,

I have a few short stories for which I am seeking beta readers. If you are interested in the dark, the suspenseful, the tragic, please email me at katdevittromance@gmail.com.

Best,
Kat

message 16: by Natalia (new)

Natalia | 30 comments Hi Lilyana

I was wondering if you'd be interested in beta reading my novel?

My name: Natalia

Genre: Children's Urban Fantasy (ages 9-12)

Length: approx 40,000 words

Title: The Puddle People and the Wetlands of the West

Short blurb: Living in parks across Great Britain are a tiny species of people who rely on the nutrients and minerals in puddles to survive. The story begins during an unusually hot summer in London, when a thirteen-year-old Puddle Person, Lily, her nine-year-old brother Rowan, her pregnant mother and her straight-laced father embark on an epic and dangerous journey to seek out the fabled Wetlands of the West. Because of their minute size, they are forced to overcome huge obstacles as they make their way across London to the train station that takes them out to the West.

What I am looking for:
Where your interest lags in the story; which characters you don't like; if the dialogue sounds natural; if any of the language is too old for the readers (or if not, too patronising); and any other comments/criticisms you may have. (Also any positive feedback would be gratefully received too!)

A month or so to review/write notes would be perfect, but I am not in any rush if you don't have enough time to do it straight away.

Thanks so much for considering it.

Natalia

message 17: by Kirk (new)

Kirk | 128 comments Hello Lilyana (and everyone),

I'm looking for Beta readers for my manuscript. It's a dystopian sci-fi novel currently sitting at around 90k words. In terms of readability, I've tried to keep the language and style simple throughout, so it's not a difficult read in that sense. But it's a long way off the final product, which is worth knowing going in. What it needs right now is a push in the right direction in terms of plot, pacing, and characterization, before it gets to the next draft, and the only way I can think to do that is by getting an impartial outside perspective. Here's the blurb:

"The world has reached new levels of mass overpopulation, and as the number of people continues to grow, the food supplies reach a critical low. When a corporation offers a solution to the epidemic, the world turns a blind eye to what it is they're really consuming, posing the question; what lengths will humanity go to to survive?"

If you're interested then send me a private message and we'll talk a little and go from there. I'm also willing to Beta read anyone's work in return. Genres I enjoy are:

Children's
Crime
Fantasy
Horror
Mystery
Science Fiction
Thriller
Young adult

I'm not too keen on romance or erotica, so I don't feel like I could give an accurate critique if that's your genre.

I hope to hear from you soon.

All the best.