Quenya Learners discussion

Tengwar Quenya mode

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anastasia, Tar-Cuilewendë (new)

Anastasia aka Taurendil (theanastasia) | 50 comments Mod
Soo... as you might know, there is another writing system for the Elvish languages than only our Latin letters. I've been learning how to write with tengwar, particularly the Quenya mode. It means that the rules are used when writing Quenya. If you wish to learn to write English, for example, you should learn the rules necessary for that.

I have written some texts in Finnish again in tengwar. There is not a one "real" version of the rules for writing Finnish, but some general tips to make it easier. I first wrote in the Quenya mode, then as I learned more about the differences, I've started to use the "ä", "ö", and "y" markings, which are not used in Quenya.

I have much to learn still. But I am really happy about what I can already do. I was able to read a text I found from the internet that was written in Finnish in tengwar. It is quite hard to find such texts. That's why I've been thinking about learning the English mode too. And, if/when I know enough Quenya, I'll prefer to read it in tengwar.

It's a lot easier to learn a completely new writing system than a language. Though I can't say anything about e.g. Chinese or Arabic, with their own ways. Maybe knowing tengwar will motivate (and help!) me learn Quenya more in the future.

Please tell me about your experiences and thoughts.

message 2: by Anastasia, Tar-Cuilewendë (new)

An update to my learning process.

I've been writing something, if just a little, almost everyday in tengwar. Mostly the texts have been Finnish songs but there are also a couple of my own "diary pages" and random thoughts.

Now I'm quite confident and the writing is easy. I don't have to think much of which tengwa to draw. Only when I should've used one that is very rare, I notice there was that one, and then I've made a mistake already but at least I learn from it. Sometimes I do make little mistakes, like put the wrong tehta on top of a tengwa.

Reading them is much harder. I have to concentrate on it and like in writing, I might mistake a tehta for another one. But each paper I fill with tengwar becomes a practise sheet for reading them too.

I'll just keep on going!

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (echoed) That's a great idea to use tengwar when writing in Finnish! since it's so close to Quenya as a language and uses a lot of vowels...English is probably a bit harder to write using tengwar since it's so different? It sucks that you can't really check anywhere if the text you've written is correct or not, but! practice makes perfect :)

I've only been trying to learn how to draw the consonants (and numerals) but was discouraged when I couldn't figure out how to use the vowels :D I have little patience...However tengwar is so aesthetically pleasing that it's enjoyable just to draw the letters & try perfect them. I indulged myself with a calligraphy pen just for this purpose :-)

message 4: by Anastasia, Tar-Cuilewendë (new)

Amanda wrote: "That's a great idea to use tengwar when writing in Finnish! since it's so close to Quenya as a language and uses a lot of vowels...English is probably a bit harder to write using tengwar since it's..."

There are just different kind of rules and ways for writing in English. I haven't tried or even learned it, but I'd like to someday.

I'm guilty of that too... Wanted a calligraphy pen to write tengwar :P Although I practised first with Latin letters, and now I've had a major pause in that art. We can talk about the "tehtar" (=vowel marks) if you want to learn them.

message 5: by Anastasia, Tar-Cuilewendë (new)

Updating my learning process again. :)

Now I feel like I can read and write tengwar. Only Quenya (and Finnish) still but I'll start studying the Sindarin or English version soon. I have written some texts, mainly songs, in tengwar to practise writing the letters with a calligraphy pen.

Give me a text and I can transcribe it into tengwar or Latin letters. There are some rare markings I don't know very well though. And also the numbers. But I'm glad I have learned this much.