Play Book Tag discussion

84, Charing Cross Road
This topic is about 84, Charing Cross Road
Archive: Other Books > 84, Charing Cross Road - Helene Hanff, 5 Stars and hearts

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments Charming. Delightful. A gem. Laugh out loud funny. Can't miss.

I could use any of these well worn words and phrases to describe this treasure (there I go again!) and every one of them would be true. I read this book cover to cover in 2 sittings. It would have been 1 if my son hadn't expected me to put it down and drive him home. I absolutely adored every word of this collection of letters between an American lover of antiquarian books on a budget and the London bookseller who provided them to her. Helene was an absolute riot, and I literally laughed embarrassingly loud at several excerpts. It is a lucky thing that my reading was split between the privacy of my car and my own couch, because I am certain I would have been the object of public humiliation should it have happened somewhere less private.

I cannot believe that I would have missed this book were it not included on the PBT non-fiction list. Whichever members recommended it and those who voted for its inclusion, thank you so much. It will most certainly find its way into my permenant library, and I will be recommending it to every book lover I know.

Anne Bancroft wrote the introduction to my edition in which she tells the story of how a wandering reader at Fire Island, an unknown person to her, said she would love this book and the next day handed her a copy. This reader was so spot on in his recommendation that her husband bought the movie rights so that she could star in it. I have not seen the movie, but I will certainly be watching it soon. I do not know how it could possibly capture the charm of Hanff's letters to Marks & Co but I think it is certainly worth viewing.

In short, read this book. You won't regret it. And if you do, you haven't the soul of a book-lover.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6279 comments I have seen the movie and it is wonderful...it's been on my tbr ever since!

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments BC, I drove to a third library yesterday just to check out the movie because I was too impatient to wait for them to send it to me. I hope to watch it tomorrow. I highly recommend you read the book for this tag. It took maybe an hour to read and was really just so enjoyable. It is seriously going to become the book I proselytize to everyone.

message 4: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3831 comments Looking to be a good read for July!!

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2283 comments I loved it as much as you! It has stayed with me for years. The movie was good but (as always!) the book is better.

annapi | 5129 comments Ok, you've convinced me - on the TBR it goes.

Nileema | 150 comments lovely review - looking forward to reading this!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6279 comments I've put a hold on it at the library.

Anita Pomerantz | 6671 comments Oh wow!!! Moving this way up on my list. Thanks for this review . . .love the definitive ones!

message 10: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Love this book, I'm pretty sure I nominated it for the PBT 100 list. The movie is lovely.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6279 comments Ladyslott wrote: "Love this book, I'm pretty sure I nominated it for the PBT 100 list. The movie is lovely."

And I love that Mel Brooks went right out and bought the movie rights to the book so that his wife, Anne Bancroft, could star in it.

message 12: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments I watched the movie this morning. They changed the ending which annoyed me, but the movie was sweet. It is the sort of movie my mom would love. I will have to ask her if she has seen it.

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1141 comments This is the book I always refer to when someone asks me for my favorite book ever!

message 14: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I just checked this out from the library, picked it up, and it is in Spanish! lol. Back to the drawing board ;)

Blueberry (blueberry1) My library doesn't own the movie. Maybe I can get it through interlibrary loan.

annapi | 5129 comments Ok, I can't find the thread where someone - was it Anita? was saying she couldn't find a Kindle version of this book. I have both epub and mobi, so whoever it is, email me and I can send it to you!

message 17: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments Nicole wrote: "I just checked this out from the library, picked it up, and it is in Spanish! lol. Back to the drawing board ;)"

What, you don't think this book is worth learning Spanish?

message 18: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I am sure I can successfully become fluent in the 21 days before the book is due! Let's do this!!

Blueberry (blueberry1) That's the spirit! You go girl!