Indie Author Collaboration discussion

Marketing and audience > Is Twitter Worth It?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin Lockwood (erinlockwood) | 4 comments Hello,

I'm a first time author. I'm trying to build my platform. Hard, because I haven't written anything until now. I started a twitter page. I don't have any followers yet and I hate twitter. It seems so pointless to me and it's a pain to think I have to keep up with another social media outlet. Things seem to be going well with my book's facebook page. Do I really need twitter? Is facebook enough?

Thanks! Erin

message 2: by A.C. (new)

A.C. Weston (acwestonwrites) | 2 comments Hi Erin! I did the same thing when I started twitter - I tweeted about 3 times and then gave up for at least a year. I didn't see the point.

But then I tried again, and you should, too! It's not going to be the main way you get orders, but it's one avenue where you can build up some legitimacy by being constantly active. If you tweet, followers will come. You just have to tweet in the hashtags where people that you want to follow you hang out - I usually stick to #amwriting, #books, #scifi, etc.

I think the key is to not just tweet about your book all the time. It's a good way to promote other people, and then they might talk with you and you could meet some friends. It's how I met my best Inkshares friends! They just responded to a few of my tweets and we got to talking.

Twitter is also a great way to make connections with other authors outside of Inkshares, who are maybe even heroes of yours. A lot of people are on twitter, and if you're not just all about ME ME ME MY BOOK MY BOOK MY BOOK and you have some interesting or funny things to say, and/or useful things to share, people will engage with you.

Twitter's not the only thing you should focus on, but it's a way to add to your platform. Tell us your handle, and maybe we'll follow you!

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin Lockwood (erinlockwood) | 4 comments Cara,

That was very helpful. My twitter is @anglestrilogy. I'm so embarrassed to admit, I don't have a clue what these hashtags are all about. But I'll figure it out :)

So, there are specific groups for writers within twitter? I need to explore that more.

Thanks,
Erin

message 4: by John (new)

John Robin (john_robin) | 62 comments Mod
Hi Erin,

I love Twitter and, though I am on Facebook and have a Facebook like page for my book platform, I find Twitter is the place I like to share the most. One key insight with Twitter that helped me "get it" was an analogy. Lots of people, new authors in particular, will see Twitter as a place to promote their books directly ("Buy my book" kinds of tweets). Think of of Twitter, though, as a packed party room where you're socializing and getting to know people. If you went around that room and honked your promotional horn all night, you wouldn't be very popular. In fact, most people would ignore you. But if you went around from person to person and asked what they were working on, or took interest in them and what they are doing, or joined discussions on writing topics / book topics / etc., it would be a fun party.

Twitter is just like that. Follow other people whose tweets look like ones you would engage with. Go through your feed now and then and reply to tweets. If one of your writing friends has 1000 words to go on her book, reply to her tweet and say, "You've got this". Or search popular writing hashtags (like ones Cara mentioned above) and scroll down there to make NEW friends -- likewise, jump in on tweets that interest you, much like, were you in that party room, you might walk up to someone you've never met and start to discuss what each other is working on.

It's easy to grow your network over time this way. Why? Because new writers will see your twitter feed and will see that you are social. You can't just sharing your personal thoughts or telling people to buy your book. Just like you deciding to follow twitter accounts where the tweets look like ones you'd be interested in engaging with, so will people decide to follow you. Your readers will follow you too, especially if they see that they can see your personable side when they check out your Twitter handle.

p.s. I just followed you ;)

message 5: by Erin (new)

Erin Lockwood (erinlockwood) | 4 comments Thanks, John!

message 6: by John (new)

John Robin (john_robin) | 62 comments Mod
This is a great topic. I could be the one here who starts the "Facebook, is it worth it?" thread. Should I?

message 7: by Nell (new)

Nell Walton Do it!