Authors-Readers Connect discussion

Group Members > Last Movie You Watched.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 172 (172 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by David (new)

David Kummer | 626 comments Mod
Hello everybody! Have some fun here and tell us what movie you watched last, and also feel free to discuss any movie.

message 2: by David (new)

I'll start us off. Last movie: Mr. Popper's Penguins. Watched it with the family.

message 3: by Phil (new)

Phil Nemethy | 35 comments Paris is Burning

message 4: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee | 1200 comments Mod
I think it was Terminator--Gynesis (I know--spelled it wrong) I actually liked it. The way they intertwined the old movie with the new one was brilliant (but that's how busy I've been)

I was supposed to go see the new X-Men movie, but for some reason they're only showing it at night; and I don't do movies at night...

message 5: by David (new)

I gave up on the X-Men series just because there was so many of them.

message 6: by Groovy (new)

What? There are never too many QUALITY X-Men movies or X-Men, David! Jennifer Lawrence is in this last one. You like her, don't you?

I kid you. I understand you probably just couldn't get into the series probably like you could the Hunger Games, which I know you've seen every last movie--right? :)

message 7: by David (new)

Lol I only saw the Hunger Games because it was on and I was typing. I didn't really care to see them. I'm over the Dystopian/Utopian stuff.

My grandpa, on the other hand, LOVED them. He was like begging us to borrow the fourth Hunger Games movie. He confuses me lol. His taste in movies don't reflect who he is at all. Like, he's a farmer and works hard... and then he likes some movies and hates others. I don't know.

message 8: by Phil (new)

Phil Nemethy | 35 comments I'd like to state for the record that I just don't like Jennifer Lawrence. I watched all the Hunger Games, I saw her in American Hustle, I saw her on SNL, I didn't see Silver-Linings Playbook cause we got it from the movie store and it wouldn't play in our DVD player, did see her some in X-Men.... She has no personality. She is the *blandest* actress of our times. Her acting is like opening a can of Spam. When she wants to portray anger, she just sounds like blandness being louder. She makes me feel bad for real actresses out there trying to get roles. Believe it or not, I'm not even hating on her - I honestly think she's that bad of an "actress."

message 9: by Groovy (last edited Jun 30, 2016 01:03PM) (new)

Wow, Phil, tell us what you really think:)

In all seriousness, I don't like her either. She, and her best friend are talentless.

But, Phil, I take offense at you comparing her to opening a can of Spam. I happen to love peeling off that tab:)

message 10: by Phil (new)

Phil Nemethy | 35 comments Haha... my apologies to Spam!

message 11: by David (new)

Spam is good on tortilla shells. That's what four weeks in Haiti have taught me.

Anyywwaayyssss, yeah I don't really like her. I thought she was alright in the Hunger Games, but every movie since then is just... emotionless.

message 12: by Groovy (new)

Believe it or not, I'm going to try that. Just shells and spam, that's it?

And you see that about her, too? I swear the girl has no soul. Her or her friend!!!

message 13: by David (new)

Which friend are we talking about?

message 14: by David (new)

And yes that's it. Shells and spam.

message 15: by Groovy (new)

David wrote: "Which friend are we talking about?"

I may have gotten it wrong. But I thought she was good friends with Amy Shumer--she has no talent or soul either...

message 16: by David (new)

Hmm possibly. I don't know her name as much. Anyways, my sister watched Mocking Jay Part 2 last night and I thought of our discussion :) lolool

message 17: by Groovy (new)

Did she like it?

message 18: by David (new)

Yeah, my sister did. But she doesn't know good movies.

message 19: by Groovy (new)

**laughing out** You are so funny. If I knew her, I would tell her you said that.

message 20: by David (new)

Lol she already knows my opinion.

message 21: by David (new)

I watched the movie Inception last night. Any of you all seen this, and what are your thoughts?

message 22: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 206 comments Run All Night with Liam Nesson. It was made around the same time he made another Taken movie and did another film called A Walk Among the Tombstones so naturally I thought I'd be the same kind of film, boy was I wrong! He plays a down on his luck, washed up assassin who gets back into the business after something happens. Needless to say I actually really enjoyed the film as there was a solid plot, great action and it all came together really nice. Highly recommend!

message 23: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 206 comments David wrote: "I watched the movie Inception last night. Any of you all seen this, and what are your thoughts?"

I saw it I thought it was alright. It became hard to follow after they went so far or so far back..just confusing lol.

message 24: by David (new)

I haven't seen either of those Liam Nesson movies, but they did look good. And I enjoyed Inception the third time most because I actually understood what was happening. I can definitely tell it's by the Dark Knight director, because it has that air of darkness.

message 25: by Megan (new)

Megan The lorax

message 26: by Groovy (new)

I'm a big Sinbad Voyage fan. So, when they released the 5th voyage in limited cities a few years back, I was excited. Now, I should have known that limited means it probably is a piece of crap. But the classics are good, and I thought how bad can it be?

BAD! If the reviews about it are all negative, leave it alone. I learned my lesson.

message 27: by David (new)

I watched Sinbad a lot when I was younger, but never knew that a FIfth Voyage came out. That's cool, though. Some series do just need to end, and end on a high note though lol.

message 28: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 206 comments Victor Frankenstein, I thought it was a great movie. A bit different from the other versions.

message 29: by David (last edited Oct 15, 2016 11:34AM) (new)

I saw the commercials for that, and it looked pretty good. Never got the pleasure of watching it, however.

message 30: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 206 comments It's really good.

message 31: by David (new)

I might have to check it out.

message 32: by Groovy (new)

What year did Victor Frankenstein come out?

message 33: by David (new)

message 34: by Groovy (new)

I'm going to have to check that out. I love those kinds of movies.

message 35: by Carole (last edited Oct 19, 2016 08:10PM) (new)

Carole P. Roman Binged watched Star Trek's 1, 2, and 3- the new one.- it made me miss the old television show, the first one. It was flawed, but just didn't matter.

Also- Now You See It 2- not as good as the first one which was so much fun.

Forgot to add the second half of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1- not as good as the book, but enjoyed the company of my grandchildren. I just finished reading Harry Potter with my grandson- we read every night, and I was sad to finish the series.

message 36: by Groovy (last edited Oct 20, 2016 10:57AM) (new)

Carole--The original Star Trek comes on in syndication every Saturday night. It was flawed, but compared to the shows today with all the four letter words, and the dark violence, I'll take it any day.

Now that you and your grandson have ended one series journey, you can start a new one together. And as much as you no doubt like Harry Potter, you can start over in the future:)

BTW, if I didn't welcome you--welcome!

message 37: by David (new)

Hey Carole :) I'm gonna disagree with Groovy and say you can never start over after Harry Potter books and movies!!!! But then again, I'm a bit of a nut for the series, so probably listen to her lol.

I've seen the Now You See Me movies too, and the first one was definitely better, but both were enjoyable.

message 38: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman Hi Groovy and David. Nice to meet you. I love the original Star Trek series. I grew up on the values. I think it shaped me as a person, I mean when you have to make a critical decision, I often have pondered what would Kirk do? lol
My grandson told me he hated reading. He's eight now, his reading levels had suffered a little bit. So with my kids permission, I picked a few books and started reading to him over Facetime at night. We started with a RL Stine book, then went to another called Secrets of the Book. We began Harry Potter next- that was last February. HIs reading levels have soared. I bought an indie's book about space- the constellations- we read that before we start our books. He requested his father's book next. We are on chapter 4 of my son's book. We are following with Percy Jackson and The Cursed Child. He is so excited to read each night, and I have to say, I'm enjoying the time with him as well as the books! I started out not being impressed with Harry Potter, but by the end of the first book, I was hooked. I cried like a baby when we finished.

message 39: by David (new)

That's a fantastic story, Carole, and really great initiative on your part to start that reading cycle! That's just awesome. I'm sure your grandson really loves you. And it's cool that Harry Potter was one of the books that helped start that off!

message 40: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman I used to have a reading group with my mother and grandmother. We would read a book and then discuss it. My years growing up were not about the age, but about the book I read that year. There was no YA, so I was reading Henry Miller, Mario Puzo when other kids were still jumping rope. I remember a teacher called my mother horrified with the book I had in my school bag. My mom laughed and said, I don't care what she's reading, as long as she IS reading! It was fun. I saw sides to them I think I never would have. I am happy to pay it forward.

message 41: by Groovy (last edited Oct 20, 2016 07:41PM) (new)

I probably said it the wrong way, David. But what I meant was they could go back and start reading Harry Potter over again. Right?

Carole, I agree with David. It's amazing how you taught him the joy of reading. I love to hear stories like that. Your grandson is really going to thank you when he's grown for taking that step. And he'll have so many good memories of the two of you reading together.

I remember when I was a child, I was supplied with so many books to read, and it didn't matter the genre, if it was fiction or nonfiction, it fed my thirst to read, and those were the happiest memories. You reminded me of that with your story.

I really like RL Stine. He was one of my daughter's favorites.

Aaannnddd, how did I miss Victor Frankenstein 2015? I don't even remember it being in the movies. Anyway, I ordered it. Thanks for the heads up Justin and David!

message 42: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman You're never lonely if you have a book. I hope it develops into a life long desire to read. He published a book when he was five. He wrote and illustrated a book with both his dad and me one weekend. I published it for him. It was a finalist in Foreword Review's Book of the Year. Now I'm off to read for the night. Nice meeting you all!

message 43: by Groovy (new)

Congratulations! Happy reading, Carole. Nice to meet you, too. Don't be a stranger.

I'm off to write. I have to beat my deadline.

message 44: by David (new)

Groovy-- I was totally messing :) I know what you meant. And you're definitely right. Also, cool that you ordered the movie! I hope you like it. Good luck on that deadline!

Carole-- That's awesome! Sounds like you've got quite a talented one there!

message 45: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman See you at the movies.

message 46: by Groovy (new)

My daughter and I just finished watching Victor Frankenstein. I really liked it. Not enough to add to my movie collection, but it was very entertaining.

The only tiniest problem I had with it was, the monster didn't have long enough time to live. I wanted to see some mayhem and destruction of villages:) He lived 5 minutes then they killed him off. But I think he was one of the scariest Frankenstein monsters. And that was good.

The actor who played Harry Potter did a good job.

message 47: by David (new)

I forgot he was in there! Hmm.

message 48: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 206 comments Yeah he did a pretty good job for a non Harry Potter role.

message 49: by Megan (new)

Megan The last movie I watched was girl on the train

message 50: by Carole (last edited Nov 03, 2016 06:02PM) (new)

Carole P. Roman HI guys, I watched Ghostbusters and Independence Day - both were the new ones, and all I have to say- is someone is going to lose their jobs. I wanted to like them- but omg.

« previous 1 3 4